Buffalo Bills 2002 Draft

San-O

We have 4'th pick overall right tackle who is adequate is guess.

And Kevin Thomas is OK as a nickel back.

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/

The rest of these guys could be gone. And remember, this was a draft where

Buffalo was coming off a 3-13 season. We dtafted very high and that was not the time to reach.

1. Mike Williams T Texas (4)

2a. Josh Reed WR LSU (36)

2b. Ryan Denney DE BYU

3.^ Coy Wire S Stanford (97)

5. Justin Bannan DT Colorado (139)

6. Kevin Thomas CB UNLV (176)

7a. Mike Pucillo G/C Auburn (215)

7b.^ Rodney Wright WR Fresno State (250)

7c.^ Jarrett Ferguson FB Virginia Tech (252)

7d.^ Dominique Stevenson LB Tennessee (260)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't a great draft, I agree. But the top seven picks are still on the team --with probably six of them returning next year. I'd give that draft a C+ which is certainly not a nightmare.

213998[/snapback]

I think you are way off.

Reed - Gone

Wire - Gone

Denney - ?

Bannan - Gone

Pucillo - Gone

Not seeing below on the roster:

I think you are way off.

Reed - Gone

Wire - Gone

Denney - ?

Bannan - Gone

Pucillo - Gone

Not seeing below on the roster:

214024[/snapback]

I don't know why you would get rid of Wire, not a very good safety but an excellent special teams player. Can still use Denney as a backup, I wouldn't get rid of him unless we brought in a free agent. Pucillo they'll keep for depth until someone else works out, whether it be a free agent or rookie. Reed will still be around this year, I don't see them dropping him yet.

I don't know why you would get rid of Wire, not a very good safety but an excellent special teams player.  Can still use Denney as a backup, I wouldn't get rid of him unless we brought in a free agent.  Pucillo they'll keep for depth until someone else works out, whether it be a free agent or rookie.  Reed will still be around this year, I don't see them dropping him yet.

214030[/snapback]

I agree they might give Reed another year, but until Reed or someone else from that draft steps up, you have to say it was TD's worst draft in Buffalo so far.

The rest of these guys could be gone.  And remember, this was a draft where

Buffalo was coming off a 3-13 season.  We dtafted very high and that was not the time to reach.

1. Mike Williams  T Texas (4)

2a. Josh Reed  WR LSU (36) 

2b. Ryan Denney  DE BYU

3.^ Coy Wire  S Stanford (97) 

5. Justin Bannan  DT Colorado (139) 

6. Kevin Thomas  CB UNLV (176) 

7a. Mike Pucillo  G/C Auburn (215) 

7b.^ Rodney Wright  WR Fresno State (250)

7c.^ Jarrett Ferguson  FB Virginia Tech (252)

7d.^ Dominique Stevenson  LB Tennessee (260)

213989[/snapback]

i think if you did a team-by-team analysis of that draft you'd find alot of sh*tty ones........it just wasn't that deep a draft........

i think if you did a team-by-team analysis of that draft you'd find alot of sh*tty ones........it just wasn't that deep a draft........

214123[/snapback]

Wow! You're right, I looked at several teams (not all) and I can't find one team that had a great draft with more than just one or two solid picks in there that are still with their drafting teams.

Wow!  You're right, I looked at several teams (not all) and I can't find one team that had a great draft with more than just one or two solid picks in there that are still with their drafting teams.

214132[/snapback]

unfortunately i think we're going to be looking back at the '05 draft 3 years from now saying the same thing.......

I agree they might give Reed another year, but until Reed or someone else from that draft steps up, you have to say it was TD's worst draft in Buffalo so far.

214111[/snapback]

I don't think that can be argued (depending on how Losman turns out I guess). Still not as bad as the 2000 draft though.

I don't think that can be argued (depending on how Losman turns out I guess).  Still not as bad as the 2000 draft though.

214139[/snapback]

NOTHING will be as bad as the '00 draft.......butler's last hurrah -- he really must have been p*ssed at wilson!

NOTHING will be as bad as the '00 draft.......butler's last hurrah -- he really must have been p*ssed at wilson!

214141[/snapback]

In fairness, I think that was another particularly weak year in general. Still, to do THAT poorly is remarkable.

In fairness, I think that was another particularly weak year in general.  Still, to do THAT poorly is remarkable.

214146[/snapback]

wanna see something funny?

april 17, 2000

peter king's draft grade -- B plus (5th best)

"Buffalo. Pick 89 overall, Corey Moore, will be one of those classic Bills picks (they always get a very good player after the first round, every year), the kind of player GMs will regret passing on. "

wanna see something funny?

april 17, 2000

peter king's draft grade -- B plus (5th best)

"Buffalo. Pick 89 overall, Corey Moore, will be one of those classic Bills picks (they always get a very good player after the first round, every year), the kind of player GMs will regret passing on. "

214160[/snapback]

I'd mock King, but I still remember my optimism about the players in that draft. Still is funny to read.

The rest of these guys could be gone.  And remember, this was a draft where

Buffalo was coming off a 3-13 season.  We dtafted very high and that was not the time to reach.

1. Mike Williams  T Texas (4)

2a. Josh Reed  WR LSU (36) 

2b. Ryan Denney  DE BYU

3.^ Coy Wire  S Stanford (97) 

5. Justin Bannan  DT Colorado (139) 

6. Kevin Thomas  CB UNLV (176) 

7a. Mike Pucillo  G/C Auburn (215) 

7b.^ Rodney Wright  WR Fresno State (250)

7c.^ Jarrett Ferguson  FB Virginia Tech (252)

7d.^ Dominique Stevenson  LB Tennessee (260)

213989[/snapback]

At the time, a lot of people were excitied about this draft. Most thought we got some great picks, especially Josh Reed. Don't give up on this list of players. No they are not pro-bowlers, but they can be solid players.

Reed was so good in college...great hands.......he was a steal were he was picked at the time...He hasnt done it in the NFL yet....

I wanna remind everyone that Hines Ward had a terrible start to his career(1st 3 years), and look at him now....

Reed was so good in college...great hands.......he was a steal were he was picked at the time...He hasnt done it in the NFL yet....

I wanna remind everyone that Hines Ward had a terrible start to his career(1st 3 years), and look at him now....

214338[/snapback]

I wouldn't say terrible - more like pedestrian. I shudder to think of J.R. going somewhere and quickly turning it around.

I wouldn't say terrible - more like pedestrian.  I shudder to think of J.R. going somewhere and quickly turning it around.

214350[/snapback]

Yea terrible was to strong a word...but he had his struggles...then broke out his 4th year

I wouldn't say terrible - more like pedestrian.  I shudder to think of J.R. going somewhere and quickly turning it around.

214350[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't want to see that either. I don't think the downside to keeping him is that great even if he never gets it together.