Clearly the most versatile LB in the draft is

jumbalaya

On a purely practical level, he's likely to slide a few spots and may end up a value pick.

Surprised it was kept quiet so long, given he came out to the team last year.

According to Peter King and a couple other reporters, it seems that plenty of scouts and NFL staff people either already "knew" or strongly suspected. I know you know this, but there's a big difference between what is widely known in league circles and what is available for "public" consumption.

Like Deion said tonight, everyone knows there have been plenty of gay players. What's notable is not that he's out to friends, family, or teammates, but that he's acknowledged it to the general public.

I think that the reality is in today's NFL you have to be "multiple" (to quote a former d coordinator). There have been such advancements in scouting that teams cannot only do certain things when certain personnel packages are on the field. Guys cannot be one dimensional or they will be exposed before the ball is even snapped. That is Wannstedt 101. The goal now is for guys to be "multiple" enough to be in a few different places once the ball is snapped. This way you can potentially confuse the offense enough to make some plays. In today's game if the offense knows where the guys will be before the ball is snapped you will get destroyed.

This is true. There's certainly something to be said for the guy who can beat you when you know what's coming, but it's becoming increasingly rare to regularly deploy one tick ponies. Situationally? Sure, but I think in general most GMs would rather have a guy who very good at a lot of things than simply great at one.

Edited by uncle flap

According to Peter King and a couple other reporters, it seems that plenty of scouts and NFL staff people either already "knew" or strongly suspected. I know you know this, but there's a big difference between what is widely known in league circles and what is available for "public" consumption.

Like Deion said tonight, everyone knows there have been plenty of gay players. What's notable is not that he's out to friends, family, or teammates, but that he's acknowledged it to the general public.

This is true. There's certainly something to be said for the guy who can beat you when you know what's coming, but it's becoming increasingly rare to regularly deploy one tick ponies. Situationally? Sure, but I think in general most GMs would rather have a guy who very good at a lot of things than simply great at one.

I definitely get the difference but after coming out to the full team and staff, who surely told girlfriends, family, etc.... I'm still surprised (especially in the SEC) that it stayed quiet for a year. It's the type of thing you could almost hear an opposing coach/player/booster getting their hands on and using as a distraction or just for lack of thinking.

The Georgia lineman just couldn't keep his opinion to himself when he heard today as an example.

Edited by NoSaint

What concerns me is his age. Here's a guy who is already 24. He played dominant football this year no doubt. There are guys on the Bills drafted in 2011 who are younger than Sam, Aaron Williams & Marcel Dareus come to mind. It says this guy played there from 2009-2013. So he arrives on campus as a 19 year old freshman, red shirts, and plays 4 consecutive seasons eventually working his way to SEC Defensive POY.