Conservatives Saving the World

blzrul

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father would have laughed at buying me a bike helmet.  Uproariously.

219971[/snapback]

And now...I, as an adult, would be given a friggin' ticket for riding a bicycle without a helmet. What's more...I'd have to produce ID - my driver's license - so the officer could write the citation. So I not only need a helmet nowadays to bike...I need a friggin' driver's license???? :doh::blink:

But hey, you just keep going on hoping that gun purchases won't be even more restrictive, Nanook... :doh:

My father would have laughed at buying me a bike helmet.  Uproariously.

219971[/snapback]

I too understand your point. Same could be said about seatbelts a generation prior. Or, nice round plastic features on automotive products like rearview mirrors, glove boxes, backs of seats, and various other auotmotive interior components.

That is not to say that those accidents didn't happen with regards to those products, they did. It is that most people never had the privledge of finding out what happens without protective measures. When they did, the results were startling.

But then again, some things change for the better. 30 years ago, would I have allowed my 6 year old son to thrust himself down a ski run with leather boots and plate bindings... Maybe? :doh:

I firmly believe we are enjoying things more now with the marked improvement of technology and safety. You just got to look past the old thinkings and enjoy things for what they are.

I firmly believe we are enjoying things more now with the marked improvement of technology and safety.  You just got to look past the old thinkings and enjoy things for what they are.

219985[/snapback]

The choice should still be yours. That's all I'm saying. Culling of the herd.

And now...I, as an adult, would be given a friggin' ticket for riding a bicycle without a helmet.  What's more...I'd have to produce ID - my driver's license - so the officer could write the citation.  So I not only need a helmet nowadays to bike...I need a friggin' driver's license????  :doh:  :blink:

But hey, you just keep going on hoping that gun purchases won't be even more restrictive, Nanook...  :doh:

219975[/snapback]

Come to Illinois... No helmet needed, even on a motorcycle... I am pretty sure your passenger doesn't either, no matter what age!

But, then again, those same kids need to be booster seated in a auto till 8!

Not sure what they are going to do with the lady that was towing a couple of young kids in a sled behind an ATV that a car ran over?

On another note. You guys know of any way to keep snowmobiles from using your front lawn as a shortcut to an open field? I was thinking of making angle iron jacks (you know minature versions of what you would find on the beaches of Normandy during D-day) and throwing them in the snow? I guess there could be liability issues with that?... I sure hope the sled operators are wearing their Simpsons or Bells? ;);)

;)

Come to Illinois... No helmet needed, even on a motorcycle... I am pretty sure your passenger doesn't either, no matter what age!

Would be my preference. Of course, were I to ride a motorcycle, I'd wear a helmet. But I see no reason that I should be required to do so by law. I must have missed that day in social studies back in high school when they explained that the government's responsible for protecting me from myself. :doh:

On another note.  You guys know of any way to keep snowmobiles from using your front lawn as a shortcut to an open field?  I was thinking of making angle iron jacks (you know minature versions of what you would find on the beaches of Normandy during D-day) and throwing them in the snow?  I guess there could be liability issues with that?... I sure hope the sled operators are wearing their Simpsons or Bells? ;)  ;)

:doh:

219989[/snapback]

That may or may not be illegal. It WOULD get you sued (I know someone who tried something similar - cinder blocks in his leaf piles on his property to keep kids from playing in them. Kid cracked her head open, guy was sued for a million-plus). However...if you got an old snowmobile, put a few close-range shotgun blasts into it, and put it upside down against a stout tree with some Heinz 57 spilled in the snow around it...it might discourage other snowmobilers from using your yard. :blink:

Would be my preference.  Of course, were I to ride a motorcycle, I'd wear a helmet.  But I see no reason that I should be required to do so by law.  I must have missed that day in social studies back in high school when they explained that the government's responsible for protecting me from myself.  :doh:

That may or may not be illegal.  It WOULD get you sued (I know someone who tried something similar - cinder blocks in his leaf piles on his property to keep kids from playing in them.  Kid cracked her head open, guy was sued for a million-plus).  However...if you got an old snowmobile, put a few close-range shotgun blasts into it, and put it upside down against a stout tree with some Heinz 57 spilled in the snow around it...it might discourage other snowmobilers from using your yard.  ;)

220005[/snapback]

:blink:

I kinda figured that.

It just gets annoying because it gets dark early and kids are playing out (at least I still let my kids out... :doh: ) there.

Now that cinder block in leaves idea is just plain SADISTIC... Who would prevent kids enjoying such an autumnal pleasure as jumping in leaves?... Not the same as preventing adult, hillbillys from enjoying their expensive winter toys at the expense other's saftey... I don't mind if they use the street, they just don't because they are not snow covered for long! ;);)

I kinda figured that.

It just gets annoying because it gets dark early and kids are playing out (at least I still let my kids out... :doh: ) there.

Now that cinder block in leaves idea is just plain SADISTIC... Who would prevent kids enjoying such an autumnal pleasure as jumping in leaves?... Not the same as preventing adult, hillbillys from enjoying their expensive winter toys at the expense other's saftey... I don't mind if they use the street, they just don't because they are not snow covered for long! :blink:  ;)

220009[/snapback]

Well...the guy figured "My leaf piles in my lawn, the kids come play in them and spread out all the leaves I just raked." I'm hard-pressed to say that he didn't have a point, as the kids were tresspassing and one could argue (albiet not very well) that they were vandalizing his property. All the same, his "solution" was pretty stupid...

As for the snowmobilers...I remember when I was a kid playing in the snow in the front yard, and having to watch out for the snowmobilers tooling through everyone's yard. Royal pain in the ass to say the least...I always hated those people. Why not get the cops to try and ticket those people...they are at the very least treaspassing and unlawfully operating a motor vehicle...

Well...the guy figured "My leaf piles in my lawn, the kids come play in them and spread out all the leaves I just raked."  I'm hard-pressed to say that he didn't have a point, as the kids were tresspassing and one could argue (albiet not very well) that they were vandalizing his property.  All the same, his "solution" was pretty stupid...

As for the snowmobilers...I remember when I was a kid playing in the snow in the front yard, and having to watch out for the snowmobilers tooling through everyone's yard.  Royal pain in the ass to say the least...I always hated those people.  Why not get the cops to try and ticket those people...they are at the very least treaspassing and unlawfully operating a motor vehicle...

220011[/snapback]

I think they try. When the weather is nice, they usually tool through on ATV's or dirtbikes... I saw one squad attempt to give chase... No match once they hit the open field!

I don't mind it so much if they just stay on the road and slow it down but, then I guess the cops could get them?

I do pile the snow up when I can and a few years back heard a rider cursing trying to get the sled turned right side up after he dumped it.

I guess subtle rewards like this will have to do!