"Stand your ground" Revisited: Michael Dunn Trial

Jury got it right. He fired 3 different volleys of 3, 3, & 4 shots. The final 4 shots are what did him in. Those 4 shots were fired at the SUV as it was driving away...no threat at all to Dunn at that point. We have mandatory minimum sentences here, so unless the judge pulls a surprise and runs the sentences concurrently, he will get sentenced to 60 years, MINIMUM, in the big house at Starke.

I'm not going to go into all the details here, but it was about WAY more than just "loud music." The kid who died was an angry, racist, foul-mouthed punk, who after the music was turned down by his buddy in the front seat, demanded that the buddy turn it back up, and that's when he went on a verbal tirade against Dunn. Dunn never asked them a 2nd time to turn it down btw.

Btw, lesser charges of 2nd degree murder as well as manslaughter were both on the table for the jury to choose, but all 12 could not agree on any of the three "killing level" choices. The prosecutors seem all bent that they're going to try him again, but it's likely they'll get the same result. It only takes ONE juror to hang a jury....that's 8%....I guarantee you that there's more than 8% in this town who thinks Dunn was acting in self defense (with those first 6 shots).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are various forms of "looking for trouble" and all are relative. Hence, the jury couldn't pin down how much trouble, and what kind.Hence, I am inclined to agree. 4 counts of attempted murder(facts are nice things to have, now that we have them), given 4 rounds fired at a "retreating" van?

That is the polar opposite of standing one's ground(which was the point of the OP), so this all sounds right to me.