An Example Of Bravery And Restraint

Is it a fact that it was bipolar or depression or alcoholism that caused him to act the way he did or in this case did he do it just because he is an !@#$?

I hope he does not die either; he certainly needs help with his "problems".  But he should be institutionalized in prison or a mental hospital and drugs and/or therapy should be mandated.

213560[/snapback]

And who will pay for that?

Haven't these wack jobs been walking the streets since they cut funding in the mid-80's...

Okay, okay... At least I have! :lol::lol:

:devil:

:devil:  :lol:

214113[/snapback]

Seriously, though, the incidence of psychiatric disorders severe enough to require treatment in the general population is about 1 per fifty people (probably even more frequent than that - bipolar and unipolar depression taken together are about 1 in 50; so that's discarding both pussified made-up crap like PMDD and very real syndromes like schizophrenia.) So out of every 50 people you know, odds are that at least one and quite possibly two are one of those "whack jobs".

You're just fortunate I'm a whack job with a sense of humor about it. :lol:

One would hope so.  Unfortunately, when mental illness gets to the point of severe lead poisoning such as that, it's usually a hopeless case...

Of course I have the utmost sympathy for Robbins and wish he'd get (or had gotten) help.  At the same time...the police involved did absolutely nothing wrong.  A guy that size attacks you, you do what you can to defend yourself and worry about why he's doing it afterwards.

213502[/snapback]

I fully agree. Tom, remember, this took place in a bathroom.

I can tell you from experience that IF you can, in that situation the thing to do is get OUT and call for Emergency Service (the guys with the toys), but again...IF you can! Imagine the riccochet that could happen if three cops were unloading into this guy!?

I think the cops were in a situation where there was simply no choice, and acted appropriately. They did the right thing and are heros. They probably are also feeling pretty sad right about now. :devil:

I fully agree. Tom, remember, this took place in a bathroom.

I can tell you from experience that IF you can, in that situation the thing to do is get OUT and call for Emergency Service (the guys with the toys), but again...IF you can! Imagine the riccochet that could happen if three cops were unloading into this guy!?

I think the cops were in a situation where there was simply no choice, and acted appropriately. They did the right thing and are heros. They probably are also feeling pretty sad right about now.  :devil:

214193[/snapback]

I don't know if I'd go as far as "heros". Shooting a lunatic doesn't quite meet any definition of "heroism" that I hold to. But again...that doesn't mean they were in the wrong.

And it's just too bad - for everyone - that mace or a Taser either weren't available or weren't a viable option.

I don't know if I'd go as far as "heros".  Shooting a lunatic doesn't quite meet any definition of "heroism" that I hold to.  But again...that doesn't mean they were in the wrong.

And it's just too bad - for everyone - that mace or a Taser either weren't available or weren't a viable option.

214219[/snapback]

As for the hero question, they at least saved eachother's lives. Yes, imo this counts.

Mace? Taser? Matt O'Dwyer (an ex-jet) ripped a taser out of his chest and injured about 10 cops in Long Beach NY. I have seen tasers work and not work. There is also no time for pepper spray when a gun is laying on the floor and someone is getting punched and kicked by a 380 lb man who is snarling, laughing and barking.

Btw, I have seen pepper spray that would drop the two of us on our asses NOT work on psychotics.

As for the hero question, they at least saved eachother's lives. Yes, imo this counts.

Mace? Taser? Matt O'Dwyer (an ex-jet) ripped a taser out of his chest and injured about 10 cops in Long Beach NY. I have seen tasers work and not work. There is also no time for pepper spray when a gun is laying on the floor and someone is getting punched and kicked by a 380 lb man who is snarling, laughing and barking.

Btw, I have seen pepper spray that would drop the two of us on our asses NOT work on psychotics.

214225[/snapback]

Like I said...too bad they weren't a viable option...

Never heard that about O'Dwyer, though.

Like I said...too bad they weren't a viable option... 

Never heard that about O'Dwyer, though.

214239[/snapback]

Jumbo Elliot was there. He beat up a girl and several others.

Talk about wrong place, wrong time......Jason Fabini who by all accounts is a good and quiet kid was there as well and got locked up with them, but he didn't get into trouble.

Jumbo Elliot was there. He beat up a girl and several others.

Talk about wrong place, wrong time......Jason Fabini who by all accounts is a good and quiet kid was there as well and got locked up with them, but he didn't get into trouble.

214302[/snapback]

Oh yeah...I remember that incident. Never heard that bit about O'Dwyer, though...but I'll take your word for it.