crowds..

I'm pretty sure we hold the single-season attendance record in the NFL (set in 1991). I think I just read that somewhere. I'm not sure where the "trouble filling seats" comes from. Attendance was always fantastic during the Super Bowl years and we had one of the biggest stadiums in the league.

No it was not. Multiple playoff games were blacked out because of failure to sell out - a playoff game? Season ticket sales for a Super Bowl team were pathetic. How in the world do you define the failure to sell out playoff games as "fantastic attendance"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was not. Multiple playoff games were blacked out because of failure to sell out - a playoff game? Season ticket sales for a Super Bowl team were pathetic. How in the world do you define the failure to sell out playoff games as "fantastic attendance"

the point of the post was simply to point out that i think bills fans are special, im certainly biased, but i think a buffalo crowd , in this day, would be different than what i have heard this weekend.. not here to dissect what is right or what happened in the past regarding bills crowds i e : jacksonville playoff game.. just remember the past even going back to the WMS days .. weeb eubank, legendary coach of the jets and colts was quoted as saying there are only two places where the crowd can affect the game: buffalo and baltimore.. ..

Since you are obviously an expert on attendance, please provide five examples of Buffalo playoff games not sold out and provide evidence. You can even include the highly publicized Houston blackout. Evidence does not include a random poster saying what he might or might not remember clearly. Also, if we were a few thousand short of 80,000, is that really an indictment on the fans or is it the weather in Buffalo.

I anxiously await your lack of response.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I believe at 80K capacity, Rich Stadium was the second- or third-largest stadium (LA Coliseum was bigger and I believe Giants Stadium was close) and the second-smallest fan base. What makes it remarkable is the calculation of what % of the population in a 60-mile radius actually had to attend the game to sell it out each Sunday.

Since you are obviously an expert on attendance, please provide five examples of Buffalo playoff games not sold out and provide evidence. You can even include the highly publicized Houston blackout. Evidence does not include a random poster saying what he might or might not remember clearly. Also, if we were a few thousand short of 80,000, is that really an indictment on the fans or is it the weather in Buffalo.

I anxiously await your lack of response.

Well why not read some of the previous posts here from fans that attended playoff games in that era? Like the Jacksonville playoff game that was blacked out and the stadium "resembled a morgue" . That's not my post. Regardless of the size of the stadium, what's your excuse for the pathetic season ticket sales - 30 to 40 thousand for a Super Bowl team? I anxiously await your excuse for that complete lack of support.

Well why not read some of the previous posts here from fans that attended playoff games in that era? Like the Jacksonville playoff game that was blacked out and the stadium "resembled a morgue" . That's not my post. Regardless of the size of the stadium, what's your excuse for the pathetic season ticket sales - 30 to 40 thousand for a Super Bowl team? I anxiously await your excuse for that complete lack of support.

Jax and Houston are still only two. Three more to go. Thanks for regurgitating the same stuff. I'll respond to your request when you respond to mine. Remember, no hearsay commenter stats.

Btw. Jax wasn't around during the Super Bowl era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Buffalo_Bills_season: Divisional playoff game 79.5K attended... Championship game in Cincy only 59K attended. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Buffalo_Bills_season: Divisional playoff game 77.1K attended, Championship game 80.3K attended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Buffalo_Bills_season: Divisional playoff game 80.2K attended, Championship game 80.3 attendedhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Buffalo_Bills_season: Wild game game 75K+ attended after they got pounded in Houston and Kelly got knocked out in Week 17. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Buffalo_Bills_season: Divisional game: 61K attended, Championship game (which I attended): 76K attended and people stood the whole game. You can see the attendance of every game (home and away) in each of the links - playoffs and regular season. Nearly every game I see is 75K-80K in the regular season. It's worth noting that the attendance is meaningfully higher at home than the games on the road, which reinforces the large stadium/small market phenomenon. The data is there everyone to draw their own conclusions...

Jax and Houston are still only two. Three more to go. Thanks for regurgitating the same stuff. I'll respond to your request when you respond to mine. Remember, no hearsay commenter stats.

Btw. Jax wasn't around during the Super Bowl era.

So why can't you respond to the pathetic season ticket sales for a Super Bowl team. Name me one other NFL franchise that had that level of success that had that lack of season ticket support. Even a small market like Green Bay, whose teams were terrible during that period, had much much better support. This entire string of posts, after all, was initiated by the claim that Bills fan support is so superior to other cities. So the burden of proof is on you, not me, to support the notion that Bills fans are so much more supportive than other cities.

The Bills led the NFL in attendance each year from 1990-93, an amazing feat for the league's third-smallest market. And fans have continued to cram into Ralph Wilson Stadium despite cold, windy conditions. http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2000/01/20000124/No-Topic-Name/The-Best-And-Worst-NFL-Fans.aspx ... that's why I said "attendance was 'fantastic'". Hard to be better than leading the league in attendance four years in a row.

• Ralph Wilson Stadium Seating Capacities
  • 80,020 (1972-1983)
  • 80,290 (1984-1994)
  • 80,024 (1995-1998)
  • 75,339 (1999-2000)
  • 73,967 (2001-2007)
  • 73,079 (2008–present)

Lambeau Seating Capacities

• 32,500 (1957–1960)
  • 38,669 (1961–1962)
  • 42,327 (1963–1964)
  • 50,852 (1965–1969)
  • 56,263 (1970–1984)
  • 56,926 (1985–1989)
  • 59,543 (1990–1994)
  • 60,890 (1995–2001)
  • 65,290/66,110 (2002)
  • 72,515 (2003)
  • 72,569 (2004)
  • 72,601 (2005)
  • 72,922 (2006)
  • 72,928 (2007–2010)
  • 73,128 (2011)
  • 73,094 (2012)
  • 80,750 (2013–present)

So why can't you respond to the pathetic season ticket sales for a Super Bowl team. Name me one other NFL franchise that had that level of success that had that lack of season ticket support. Even a small market like Green Bay, whose teams were terrible during that period, had much much better support. This entire string of posts, after all, was initiated by the claim that Bills fan support is so superior to other cities. So the burden of proof is on you, not me, to support the notion that Bills fans are so much more supportive than other cities.

I responded to you and your ridiculous "we suck as fans" claim. I'm not a child so i see what you're doing. Again you ignore my first request. Please provide that. Also, that 30-40 thousand claim, please provide evidence.

Also, are you really comparing a historically GREAT franchises' season ticket sales to the Bills. Good luck with that.

• Ralph Wilson Stadium Seating Capacities
  • 80,020 (1972-1983)
  • 80,290 (1984-1994)
  • 80,024 (1995-1998)
  • 75,339 (1999-2000)
  • 73,967 (2001-2007)
  • 73,079 (2008–present)

Lambeau Seating Capacities

• 32,500 (1957–1960)
  • 38,669 (1961–1962)
  • 42,327 (1963–1964)
  • 50,852 (1965–1969)
  • 56,263 (1970–1984)
  • 56,926 (1985–1989)
  • 59,543 (1990–1994)
  • 60,890 (1995–2001)
  • 65,290/66,110 (2002)
  • 72,515 (2003)
  • 72,569 (2004)
  • 72,601 (2005)
  • 72,922 (2006)
  • 72,928 (2007–2010)
  • 73,128 (2011)
  • 73,094 (2012)
  • 80,750 (2013–present)

Thanks SJBF.

@Vegas55 - It seems to me that you are just being a troll and arguing for the sake of arguing because you like to argue = troll

Maybe not, but that is certainly how it seems based on your argument.

Two more opinions I would like to make:

1) Game attendance numbers as a ratio of size to market are very good. It's not even worth arguing.

2) If you attend some away games at other stadiums, you will soon come to the obvious conclusion that Bills fans are way more "into" the football game than the fans of other teams in those other teams' home games. I say this based on my own experience of attending Bills away games. I am sure there are some stadiums that rock as hard as the Ralph does, but I have never been to one. The fans here are more active, alive and emotionally invested in a completely meaningless home game in Buffalo than they are in any other city I have ever seen a game in. In fact, it is not even close. Seriously....not even close....Buffalo seems to have a abnormally high percentage of absolutely rabid fans.

Edited by PolishDave

I responded to you and your ridiculous "we suck as fans" claim. I'm not a child so i see what you're doing. Again you ignore my first request. Please provide that. Also, that 30-40 thousand claim, please provide evidence.

Also, are you really comparing a historically GREAT franchises' season ticket sales to the Bills. Good luck with that.

Thanks SJBF.

I never said "we suck as fans" - where in the world did you ever get that quote. Review the posts - you just made that up. Nice. And I don't have to compare season ticket sales to a " historically great franchise". Go ahead and compare our season ticket sales to ANY team that made the Super Bowl, and see how our great season ticket support compares. Feel free to do your own research if you think the Bills season ticket support was comparable; again, the OP was all about how great Bills fan support is compared to other cities; I simply disagree.

@Vegas55 - It seems to me that you are just being a troll and arguing for the sake of arguing because you like to argue = troll

Maybe not, but that is certainly how it seems based on your argument.

Two more opinions I would like to make:

1) Game attendance numbers as a ratio of size to market are very good. It's not even worth arguing.

2) If you attend some away games at other stadiums, you will soon come to the obvious conclusion that Bills fans are way more "into" the football game than the fans of other teams in those other teams' home games. I say this based on my own experience of attending Bills away games. I am sure there are some stadiums that rock as hard as the Ralph does, but I have never been to one. The fans here are more active, alive and emotionally invested in a completely meaningless home game in Buffalo than they are in any other city I have ever seen a game in. In fact, it is not even close. Seriously....not even close....Buffalo seems to have a abnormally high percentage of absolutely rabid fans.

But my response was based simply on the OP; which was how great the Bills fan support is compared to other cities. I simply disagree with that notion - that's all.

How about season tickets over % of people in the market area? By the way, I'm not sure where you would get the season ticket holder data for various years by team, but maybe your internet skills are better than mine.

Edited by Tim Tindale

I never said "we suck as fans" - where in the world did you ever get that quote. Review the posts - you just made that up. Nice. And I don't have to compare season ticket sales to a " historically great franchise". Go ahead and compare our season ticket sales to ANY team that made the Super Bowl, and see how our great season ticket support compares. Feel free to do your own research if you think the Bills season ticket support was comparable; again, the OP was all about how great Bills fan support is compared to other cities; I simply disagree.

and then this...

It's a complete myth that Buffalo has great fans;

Ok.

But my response was based simply on the OP; which was how great the Bills fan support is compared to other cities. I simply disagree with that notion - that's all.

If you read his post again I think you will see that he is talking about crowd "noise" not attendance, not season ticket sales or anything else.

And sorry, I should not have accused you of being a troll. It just felt that way based on your argument. I retract the troll statement.

So let me understand your take here is "We suck as fans" (direct quote) is the same thing as saying that it's a myth that Buffalo fans are great. Are you serious?

Sorry about the quotations. Wrong word grouping marks.

And yes. It sounds like the exact same thing.

maybe it my buffalo bias, but i thought the crowds in cinncy ,philly, and indy were not like bills playoff crowds, any type of bills crowds. maybe they have changed the crowd noise feed, but i always compare a bills crowd to the game im watching, was not impressed with any of them.. seattle has the stadium structure advantage, but anyway, i just do not see the bills not having that crowd willing them to win.

I thought the same thing. Even in Green Bay, but I attributed that to the wearing of thick gloves.

One game was blacked out. Multiple?!?