This coach is not happy with his team's effort

Steve O

Good on the coach. I don't know anything about his team but his comments echo a lot of my feeling about the kids of today.

While I agree with your comments about today's kids, every time I start to lose faith I think of the following quote:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

The quote is from Socrates. This is the way things have always been, it is the way they will always be.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/63219-our-youth-now-love-luxury-they-have-bad-manners-contempt

Yep, this is the coach at my alma mater. Barry Hinson is a passionate man; he used to be Head Coach at Southwest Missouri State and served on Bill Self's staff at Kansas for a few years before accepting the job at Southern Illinois. This program had fallen apart the last few years with academic and eligibility issues. Hinson is trying hard to turn around a once-great (for a "mid-major") basketball team and make them respectable again but he doesn't have the talent to do it yet. The kids aren't buying into him yet and last night's comments were out of frustration. As his wife told the Dan Patrick Show this morning he really has no filter for what comes out of his mouth.

I believe he's a good coach that can get the program turned around but I think this may damage his relationship with the players beyond repair. If nothing else it got a little buzz going for a basketball team that's 2-8 and going nowhere fast. We shall see if this affects recruiting at all.

I couldn't even listen to his whining past the first minute.

I find it funny that he thinks his players are soft. He's soft. This isn't the type of thing you bring to the media. He's complaining and blaming someone else for his team's struggles. His job as the coach is to find a way to communicate to his players. A way that resonates with them. It's what good teachers do.

What did he think, college kids were going to all say, "yes sir, no sir" and his job would be a trip to the candy shop? Yet here he is blaming others. And does he think that airing this stuff to the media is the best way to bridge the gap between him and his players. If he thought it was difficult before he just made it much worse.

The quote is from Socrates. This is the way things have always been, it is the way they will always be.

No it will be this way because we allow it. There are no consequences. Mommy will fix it.