A stud TE

gantrules

If Bills management is planning on keeping Drew we need a stud TE. Not maybe, but definately. If you looking at Drew's numbers in his playoff years with NE, those being 96-98 Ben Coates was the man for Drew. Big Ben caught 62, 66 and 67 balls in the playoff season, respectively. Even in Drew's first years while the Pats weren't playoff bound Ben caught 96 in 1994, 84 in 1995. He established that short passing game along with Curtis Martin, which gave Drew the short option. I think the addition of Willis McGahee to our RB core this year helped Drew out with both the long and short passing game. But, Campbell isn't going to get the kind of attention that a Freddie Jones or EVEN an Anthony Becht would get. FA in 2005.

How about a package deal to Miami Henry/Campbell for Randy McMichael?(Drool) Or Henry to Arizona for F. Jones/3rd-5th round draft pick.

If management is serious about keeping Drew in Buffalo, they need to shore up the TE situation.

If Bills management is planning on keeping Drew we need a stud TE. Not maybe, but definately. If you looking at Drew's numbers in his playoff years with NE, those being 96-98 Ben Coates was the man for Drew. Big Ben caught 62, 66 and 67 balls in the playoff season, respectively. Even in Drew's first years while the Pats weren't playoff bound Ben caught 96 in 1994, 84 in 1995. He established that short passing game along with Curtis Martin, which gave Drew the short option. I think the addition of Willis McGahee to our RB core this year helped Drew out with both the long and short passing game. But, Campbell isn't going to get the kind of attention that a Freddie Jones or EVEN an Anthony Becht would get. FA in 2005.

How about a package deal to Miami Henry/Campbell for Randy McMichael?(Drool) Or Henry to Arizona for F. Jones/3rd-5th round draft pick.

If management is serious about keeping Drew in Buffalo, they need to shore up the TE situation.

209831[/snapback]

McMichael.....sweeeet.

TE is a glaring hole here. For Bledsoe, or any QB, it has become a great go-to option.

Look at Wiggins with Minnesota. Pats threw him to the curb after SB 2002 (he caught 10 passes in the Oakland snow bowl game) and now he's Minnesota's LEADING RECIEVER.

Becht was totally underused this season. He spoke about this in the papers after the Pittsburgh loss - sounded like he doesn't want to return to the Jets. I remember him having some nice games and a couple of touchdowns against the Bills the last couple of years.

If they don't go trade or draft for a TE they might want to consider FA Anthony Becht from the Jets. Definitely second tier to the players mentioned above but could be a good fit.

209857[/snapback]

Becht looked pretty bad against the Steelers. I was watching him closely for this very reason. He was getting crushed by blitzers. He gave up a couple of sacks and had at least one holding penalty in the second half.

Evidence shows that the Bill's game plans don't include featuring the TE. Why bother?

209882[/snapback]

3 TDs to Campbell in one game is not featuring it?

Campbell and Euhus were injured for the last 4 or 5 games.

We were running out our 3rd and 4th string TEs at the end of the season.

Frankly, if Campbell is healthy he's great backup TE.

Evidence shows that the Bill's game plans don't include featuring the TE. Why bother?

209882[/snapback]

My point was and remains that if Bledsoe is coming back. And looking at how Drew succeeded. If they are planning on giving him another year why not follow a plan that has worked for Drew in the past???

209831[/snapback]

I think your words are right on target not only in terms of getting the most our of Bledsoe if we decide to keep him (I think there are ways to win with him and ways to win without him so I'm more concerned with the Bills doing the correct things with whatever Bledsoe choice gets made rather than worrying about the choice itself) but most of all getting trade value for Henry.

I think that folks who are caught up in the debate about whether he is worth a 2nd, a 6th or whatever, miss the point that the future is now in this league and that real value for Henry revolves aroubd getting the right current player and not some fantasy league foray into a draft choice.

My sense is that it will not be surprising that following the Edgerrin James/Wills McGahee model that we are looking at a year and a half or two before even the best athletes comeback from an ACL tear. One hopes that Campbell and Euhus are not recovering from the grievous kne damage of these two, but no one ever mistook these two for being the best athletes in the NFL either.

Even though a solid TE may not be judged as highly as a former Pro Bowl RB, I would be happy to see the Bills make the trade because going into next year with Ryan Neufeld as our best TE if Euhus and Campbell are still recovering their form is not a good thing at all.

So I say you go Travis you go if the credible claims you made in the Palm Beach paper that if used differently than Kevin Killdrive used you last year and if you hadn't been pushed aside for WM (a far better back whom I believe you are quite easily pushed aside for) then you COULD produce the numbers of a top 5 RB. if you can get the Florida folks so excited about moving beyond the Rickey Williams fiasco with you that they are willing to give up a stud like McMicheal I say thanks. I doubt it, but hey I didn't think we would get a 1st (a first we turned into Willis McGahee) for PP either.

Good luck finding a "stud TE". Its one of the hardest positions to fill.

I mentioned this before in a thread about Gates, but an NFL coach said that the reason there are no good TE's in the NFL is because they're all playing power forward for the NBA. I liked that Euhus has a basketball background, but his knee injury means he'll likely be useles for most of this season. Same for Campbell, who is older and less athletic.

3 TDs to Campbell in one game is not featuring it?

Campbell and Euhus were injured for the last 4 or 5 games.

We were running out our 3rd and 4th string TEs at the end of the season.

Frankly, if Campbell is healthy he's great backup TE.

209905[/snapback]

Well, one game that was an oddity. When you have a, dunno, team that completes 60 or 70 passes to the TE's, then your are "featuring".

That's not the Bills...I'd like to see them change, but I hold no hope.

BTW, BC's Dave Kashetta might be worth a late round look.

There might be a stud TE available in the draft, Pat Estes may fly under the radar screen and still be available very late in the draft. He played opposite to Heath Miller at Virginia coming in during two TE sets. Great hands great blocking but was always upstaged by Miller.