Curved Display Phones

IslandBillsFan

I have been seeing many articles lately on phone manufacturers developing curved display phones.

I don't understand the appeal or function of this. All phones whether corded, wireless or cellular have a flat front. (I guess the exception is the old ones with the circular earpiece and mouthpiece with handle in the middle)

What advantage does a curved display have? Considering you hold the face to your head I figure nothing. And if it relates to comfort in your hand it should just be the back of the phone curved.

In fact, I think the curve would hinder such activities such as watching movies and playing games.

Am I missing something here? Cool tech maybe but I see no purpose.

The big promise with it is durability. (Note: Ignore Samsung's first curved phone, it's only coming out in Korea and isn't a good look at what the tech can do).

The best example of this coming soon is the LG G Flex. It can support a lot of weight on the phone without breaking. In fact, you can flatten it out, then it'll restore to a curved state, and the phone doesn't have a cracked screen. If you accidentally step/sit on the phone, there's a much better chance of the screen not breaking.

LG is also incorporating self-healing technology on the back cover. Get a scratch on the back? The self-healing will take care of the scratch for you.

Here's a video showing the two (self-healing first):

The big promise with it is durability. (Note: Ignore Samsung's first curved phone, it's only coming out in Korea and isn't a good look at what the tech can do).

The best example of this coming soon is the LG G Flex. It can support a lot of weight on the phone without breaking. In fact, you can flatten it out, then it'll restore to a curved state, and the phone doesn't have a cracked screen. If you accidentally step/sit on the phone, there's a much better chance of the screen not breaking.

LG is also incorporating self-healing technology on the back cover. Get a scratch on the back? The self-healing will take care of the scratch for you.

Here's a video showing the two (self-healing first):

That is so cool!

They have metal that has a "memory" (smart-metal, shape memory alloy, etc...)

They should come up w/GPS paint or clothes... Put them on your child, or somebody that may be @ risk of being kidnapped... Track the bad guys right down!

Some many cool things!