To those of you who defend Hackett

billsgpr88

Just wanted to bump this topic back up now.

What is your specific beef or beefs with the play calling on Sunday?

It's nice that we can compare Hackett's calls with QBs other than EJ in there, because early in the season I was mad that the Bills (and by extension, Hackett) weren't taking what the D was giving them. As the season wore on it became clear to me that it was EJ not making the plays, rather than Hackett's poor play design and/or play calling. Sunday's game seemed to further bolster this idea.

Like I've said throughout this this thread and in others, I'm not saying Hackett is perfect, but simply that I don't think he deserves the criticism that he gets on this board and on the whiner line.

I'm totally open to the argument that Hackett could maybe call plays that would help out EJ more, but I don't see many examples where that would be the case. It's absurd to expect a rookie OC to be perfect, and I saw open WRs all over the field that EJ wasn't finding. I can't put that on Hackett.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice that we can compare Hackett's calls with QBs other than EJ in there, because early in the season I was mad that the Bills (and by extension, Hackett) weren't taking what the D was giving them. As the season wore on it became clear to me that it was EJ not making the plays, rather than Hackett's poor play design and/or play calling. Sunday's game seemed to further bolster this idea.

Like I've said throughout this this thread and in others, I'm not saying Hackett is perfect, but simply that I don't think he deserves the criticism that he gets on this board and on the whiner line.

I'm totally open to the argument that Hackett could maybe call plays that would help out EJ more, but I don't see many examples where that would be the case. It's absurd to expect a rookie OC to be perfect, and I saw open WRs all over the field that EJ wasn't finding. I can't put that on Hackett.

The problem is right there .

Hackett has yet to figure out what gameplan works with EJ. He seems to have done so with Thad to some degree and even Tuel.

It is not absurd to expect a OC to be good. Marrone should not have brought a guy in with no NFL experience being an OC in the NFL.

There are only 32 guys in the world who get to be an OC in the NFL, are you really going to tell me you think Hackett is one of the best 32 people in the world to have that job?

No way no how. Marrone went with what felt comfortable for him and it is now biting him in the you know what.

Marrone will show me in the offseason if he is our solution to HC be firing Hackett or not.

By the way the excuse Marrone gave today about EJ foot work lies squarely on Hackett. EJ and Hackett are not working well together, Personally i will go with EJ over Hackett for next years team.

I agree with the OP for the most part. To me the biggest difference between Geno Smith (the standard bearer in rookie QBs this season in spite of some of his struggles) and EJ's development, is the fact that Morhinweg is a veteran OC who knows how to develop QBs (Jets, Green Bay, SF, Detroit). We have a rookie OC who has trouble calling plays let alone developing QBs.

In contrast, our D has a veteran talent *and* a veteran coach who knows how to use that talent.

I'm all for Hackett being the OC next season, but I think we need to bring in a QB coach who knows how to develop QBs. I also think we need a new ST coach.

C

The problem is right there .

Hackett has yet to figure out what gameplan works with EJ. He seems to have done so with Thad to some degree and even Tuel.

It is not absurd to expect a OC to be good. Marrone should not have brought a guy in with no NFL experience being an OC in the NFL.

There are only 32 guys in the world who get to be an OC in the NFL, are you really going to tell me you think Hackett is one of the best 32 people in the world to have that job?

No way no how. Marrone went with what felt comfortable for him and it is now biting him in the you know what.

Marrone will show me in the offseason if he is our solution to HC be firing Hackett or not.

By the way the excuse Marrone gave today about EJ foot work lies squarely on Hackett. EJ and Hackett are not working well together, Personally i will go with EJ over Hackett for next years team.

I don't really disagree with anything, except necessarily going with EJ over Hackett. I think the jury is still out on both, but I'm higher on Hackett than I am on EJ at this point.

Maybe Hackett was a mistake, but from a purely Xs and Os standpoint, I like what I've so far.

As far as not calling plays or game planning to help EJ, I think it's too early to assume that EJ can't execute what Hackett is calling (although EJ is certainly making a case that he can't), and more importantly, I don't want an OC that isn't confident in his first round QB. Whether or not EJ can or is willing to make those plays, Hackett should expect his QB to make them.

I don't want to rehash all the nuances of the play calling and game planning that we've already discussed here. I'm just not going to fault Hackett for wanting and expecting EJ to execute. And if it's true that he has to adjust his game plan to cater to EJ's apparent deficiencies, I'd prefer that they get a QB that brings more to the table. If not, we are looking at Chan and Fitz again. A limited QB that can only succeed with a very specific game plan. That isn't going to amount to many wins.

I'm not calling EJ a bust either, but I'm simply not ready to fault Hackett when it seems to me he's providing EJ with a blueprint to succeed, and EJ isn't fulfilling his end of the bargain. I'll be firing up the all-22 on this one because I seem to recall WRs coming open, but EJ unable to find them.

My suggestions for Hackett:

1) I think the read-option should be completely scrapped. NFL defenses figured out how to stop it in the offseason. And EJ sucks at making the correct reads. Tear this formation out of the playbook completely and put EJ under center.

2) We have possibly the best RB tandem in the NFL. They should be the focal point of our offense. We should always be running the ball more often than passing. And when passing, we should be involving our running backs as much as possible. To have an almost non-existent screen game - with Spiller and FJax on the team - it's almost inexcusable.

3) PLAY ACTION!!!! All season, teams have been crowing the line, stacking the box and keying on our running game. So instead of constantly running between the tackles with 7-8 in the box, make them pay for it! This will result in big passing plays AND make things easier for the running game.

My suggestions for Hackett:

1) I think the read-option should be completely scrapped. NFL defenses figured out how to stop it in the offseason. And EJ sucks at making the correct reads. Tear this formation out of the playbook completely and put EJ under center.

2) We have possibly the best RB tandem in the NFL. They should be the focal point of our offense. We should always be running the ball more often than passing. And when passing, we should be involving our running backs as much as possible. To have an almost non-existent screen game - with Spiller and FJax on the team - it's almost inexcusable.

3) PLAY ACTION!!!! All season, teams have been crowing the line, stacking the box and keying on our running game. So instead of constantly running between the tackles with 7-8 in the box, make them pay for it! This will result in big passing plays AND make things easier for the running game.

Reasonable thoughts .

Hackett has been trying to "raise" 3 young qbs all at once, as has Marrone.

This season has been surreal in regard to injuries at the QB position. And then RB. And the O line struggled mightily at times .

I can say neither yay or nay but i am a fan of Nathaniel and Marrone since before the season started.

This team has a looong way to go on Offense. I still think we are missing key players for them to be successful.

The talent on offense is not very good. The rooks have potential sure but really as the team sits right now Hackett has two running backs and thats about it. And they been injured on and off.

just carzy to evaluate this team and then reach solid conclusions about where the offense is headed and or if they have the ability to achieve much....this season.

A pass , only because this has been one of the weirdest collection of injuries for the Bills i have seen in some years.

And thats saying something !

Go Bills !