What do you see as the 2005 QB cost and who is it?

Cliff notes begin: Get readt for Kordell to come to Buffalo if Mort is right and Bledsoe is a goner. Cliff notes end.

The news that TD is apparently pushing Bledsoe to the wall to take a paycut is quite interesting. As I thought the resigning of Bledsoe was a mistake getting someone better at a reasonable cap hit is fine with me. However, I have yet to see any of the folks dancing with glee at the thought of getting rid of Bledsoe suggest real alternatives for who and how the Bills go forward at QB in 2005.

I think one real world way of looking at this is to try to guess the Bills 2005 budget and I would love to see any rationale ideas about how we can play the best football we can under this budget.

I think it shakes out this way:

Current:

#1 QB- Bledsoe (but fortunately TD says he has to win the job and I think this is more than approrpiate). Cap hit= $6.5 million

#2- Losman has been given the opening by TD to use the minicamps and the pre-season to demonstrate that he can be our starter. Cap hot= $1.3 million

#3- No one under contract but Matthews had a cap hit of $700,000 last year.

These numbers are the best available I have seen and are based on Clumping Platelets work checked by looking at Bills' Daily, the official Bills website and other sources. If you have better #s fine, I'd love to add the source.

At any rate, in our budget we apparently have devoted about $8.5 million to the QB position currently and we have one more player to sign.

My guess is that we will need to sign another QB who is better than Matthews to be a credible team. JP is clearly our QB of the future, but it remains unclear when the future is here. I think JP developed nicely though not impressively last year primarily because of his injury.

He did not get much time in real games which all players seem to need to truly be a contributor. On the negative side he came out of college with an impressive resume and rankings, but clearly identified issues regarding his mechanics and most pundits felt he was at least a year away.

In pre-season I was impressed with his athleticism and in the scrimmage against the Browns and his pre-season appearances I was impressed with his athleticism and I think he is the real deal. However, the rumblings out of camp seemed to be that the cockiness which he showed (which I like) sometimes verged on obnoxiousness. There were some rumors that the hit he took which caused his injury was in part the result of his taking inappropriate advantage of the "tutu" QBs have in practice which stop them from getting hit to run the ball when he blew a pass play and that Troy Vincent gave him a shove he was not prepared for when he bailed out and ran the ball.

Nevertheless, making lemonades out of the lemon as a fan of having him injured, I actually hope that he took advanatage of his enforced absense to soak up knowledge from Sam Wyche in the booth since he could not simply stand on the sidelines with the boys during games.

His return to play was not stunniing at all as he was thrown into mop-up duty against NE and shall we say did not impress anyone with his athleticism or ballhandling as he produced an INT and a fumble. Yet, he seemed to take the correct lesson from this for his development in that his comments indicated that he not prepared himself to play and that in the future he would take it more seriously because you never know when you will be called upon to play.

In his next two mop-up appearances he drove the team to TDs relyingon WM to run the ball. I think those who see these appearances as worthless because he did not throw the ball do not fully understand football and playter development from my view. Even with the mental preparation necessary which differs from the NE game, JP showed that he still has things to learn in terms of controlling the huddle and the game like a vet

He took a delay of game penalty in his second appearance which I lay to him not being in total control when he first came in. The good news is that he overcame this initial failure by calling the plays and handing the ball off well enough to WM to get the TD.

He improved in his third appearance in that he did not lose control such that we were penalized, instead he took an unecessary TO because he did not have control of the clock. Not good, but better than a penalty. Again he was impressive in moving the ball with the team as he not only got the team to a TD but converted a nice 3rd down with a scramble and even completed a clutch pass top Trafford.

He needs work, but I liked what I saw.

The bottomline is that JP may well have the stuff to earn the starting job sooner rather than later, but correctly he needs to do this on the field and not be given the job and we just suck it up and accept the losses while he learns. He is well in front of his peak and there will be some tough games as part of the learning process, but JP need to show in my mind that he delivers a ggod enough chance at winning now to make this learning prcess tolerable. 0-4 was unacceptable under Bledsoe's watch and it will be unacceptable to me under JP's watch.

He may well win the job in mini-camp or pre-season or after a few games in 2005 (Brady did it in his second season and JP is far better regarded as a QB talent coming out of college than Brady was) but it would only be prudent for us to have a QB with at least the upside of Bledsoe for the dollars we have in 2005 if JP is not ready.

Thus, there is a lot of interesting talk today from Mort of us pushing Bledsoe to take pay cut to reasonable back-up levels. I don't know exactly what prompted this or what it means (the same as with everyone else). Whatever. I am pleased to see the Bills moving forward to improve the QB positio. I trust the football braintrust enough that if this means Bledsoe is gone and we get someone better for a price we can afford, so be it. Likewise though if we keep Bledsoe and improve the QB position by picking up a better player with a giveback from Bledsoe that is fine with me also.

Yhe bottomline to me is this:

The two options (assuming Mort is right which is a big assumption since his reporting is not the same thing as TD publicly announcing something like Bledsoe must win the job). strike me as:

1. Keep Bledsoe at a reduced 2005 cap hit of a couple of million.

2. Cut Bledsoe and pick up 2 QB with the $2.8 million in cap room we have for QB in 2005 plus whatever cap room we want to devote to this pick-up instead of using this cap room for other FAs.

Under the first option, I think we can probably pick-up one of the current FA QBs fiancially (Brees will want to get too much money for us from the market and will probably not be on the market anyway. This means Kordell. Holcomb, Bath or MacMahon who I think likely can be had for a 2005 cap hit of $2.8 million. I/m ot impressed with any of them but a three-way competition between JP. Bledsoe, and this FA should give us two QBs to start the minicamps with.

The problem is I'm not sure that one of the available FAs can't do better than going up against JP and Bledsoe for the job.

The second option is also doable for us. My guess is that we are limely to get someone like Kordell as our #2 but if TD can make the deal work to give Kordell some active time as out slash starter we might be able to arract a career back0up able to run our run first D successfully like a Holcomb.

This really is interesting.

I agree, it is very interesting.......

I just assume sever ties with Drew for good and then pick up a QB who is good enough to not screw up the games on his own. I think someone like Holcomb, Garcia, Kitna, even Kordell, would be fine......they all have experience and all have had success. I don't know what TD has up his sleeve, but as long as we have an established veteran behind JP, I think we can turn the kid loose.

if Mort ia on to anything, which I think is probable, Ralph and TD have come to their senses over Drew.

I imagine the message to Drew is take a 3 to 4 million $ paycut or else. We won't pay more than 2 mil a year for a PROBABLE backup.

We either keep a DB at 1/3 the cost or go elsewhere. I really don't know who elsewhere will be.

if Mort ia on to anything, which I think is probable, Ralph and TD have come to their senses over Drew.

I imagine the message to Drew is take a 3 to 4 million $ paycut or else.  We won't pay more than 2 mil a year for a PROBABLE backup.

We either keep a DB at 1/3 the cost or go elsewhere.  I ready don't know who elsewhere will be.

207586[/snapback]

I still think the fact that we lost to the Pitt JV was huge......compared to losing to say, the Pats JV. I think TD - and probably MM - were both truly embarrassed, and I think they both place a lot of the blame on Drew's shoulders. TD works too hard to find talent for this team to allow Cowher to put in is scrubs and essentially toy with us in OUR house for 60 minutes. I think if TD really is making a move on Drew this early, that may be a big reason as to why.

I still think the fact that we lost to the Pitt JV was huge......compared to losing to say, the Pats JV. I think TD - and probably MM - were both truly embarrassed, and I think they both place a lot of the blame on Drew's shoulders. TD works too hard to find talent for this team to allow Cowher to put in is scrubs and essentially toy with us in OUR house for 60 minutes.  I think if TD really is making a move on Drew this early, that may be a big reason as to why.

207605[/snapback]

I agree completely. The Pitt game showed that all of the nurse-maiding, all of the dumbing down of the offense, all of the lip service support for Drew could not overcome the fact that the Bills starting QB could not hit a wideout in stride anymore.

I still think the fact that we lost to the Pitt JV was huge......compared to losing to say, the Pats JV. I think TD - and probably MM - were both truly embarrassed, and I think they both place a lot of the blame on Drew's shoulders. TD works too hard to find talent for this team to allow Cowher to put in is scrubs and essentially toy with us in OUR house for 60 minutes.  I think if TD really is making a move on Drew this early, that may be a big reason as to why.

207605[/snapback]

Please dont be offended, but I rarely agree with your postings. Imo, you are not only obsessed with Drew, but you place far too much importance in the qb position.

Having said this, the above was a great post. I forgot the fact of how a game vs. Pitt was huge to TD and MM. Thanks for pointing this out.

I am not sure how much credence I lend to this "Mort" quote, but at face value, I like it. Even as one who thinks that Drew should enter next year as the starter, a pay cut is not an out of line request. I also strongly believe that TD wants this money, and the savings from restructuring Moulds) because he has a particular player in mind. Jones? Pace? Who knows, but this is not only what the Bills need, but a probable selling point to both Eric and Drew to take a cut and stay.

With cap space and a good draft, the Bills are ready to make their move in 05.

Btw, I hope that JP is as good as you JP worshippers think that he is. Big Ben looked rather pedestrian vs. the jests, right? JP, because someone leaned against him and placed him in traction, enters 05 as a virtual rookie.

The steelers are loaded, but they are going down. Big Ben may develop some day. Right now, he is a plodding rookie on a team stacked with talent.

I dont think it will work due to your hate and rather simple habit of blaming all woes of the Buffalo Bills football team on the sole shoulders of Drew, but I ask you to consider just how awful BR looked yesterday vs the jests, and then focus on how Drew lit their silly asses up.

You haters dont want Drew because he "can't win a superbowl." I respect this but counter with the question...How many rookie qbs HAVE won the superbowl?

Please dont be offended, but I rarely agree with your postings. Imo, you are not only obsessed with Drew, but you place far too much importance in the qb position.

Having said this, the above was a great post. I forgot the fact of how a game vs. Pitt was huge to TD and MM. Thanks for pointing this out.

I am not sure how much credence I lend to this "Mort" quote, but at face value, I like it. Even as one who thinks that Drew should enter next year as the starter, a pay cut is not an out of line request. I also strongly believe that TD wants this money, and the savings from restructuring Moulds) because he has a particular player in mind. Jones? Pace? Who knows, but this is not only what the Bills need, but a probable selling point to both Eric and Drew to take a cut and stay.

With cap space and a good draft, the Bills are ready to make their move in 05.

Btw, I hope that JP is as good as you JP worshippers think that he is. Big Ben looked rather pedestrian vs. the jests, right? JP, because someone leaned against him and placed him in traction, enters 05 as a virtual rookie.

The steelers are loaded, but they are going down. Big Ben may develop some day. Right now, he is a plodding rookie on a team stacked with talent.

I dont think it will work due to your hate and rather simple habit of blaming all woes of the Buffalo Bills football team on the sole shoulders of Drew, but I ask you to consider just how awful BR looked yesterday vs the jests, and then focus on how Drew lit their silly asses up.

You haters dont want Drew because he "can't win a superbowl." I respect this but counter with the question...How many rookie qbs HAVE won the superbowl?

207671[/snapback]

No offense taken at all.......I post to contribute my viewpoint an to have fun, not with the hope of expectation that people agree with me <_< Actually, I take issue with you including me among the JP "worshippers"......I simply am ready or a change at QB and feel there is more than enough evidence to support such a change. I like JP because of his physical skills, but most of all because of his gunslinger, "chip on his shoulder" mentality. I like a QB who brings that to the table, but there is no guarantee that JP will be successful. To me, all you have to do is look at the Pats to know why it's time Drew should go. They win in spite of their injuries, of lack of talent in a particular area, or whatever. Drew apparently can only succeed if he has a PERFECT scenario in which to do so. That is simply not going to happen. Drew shows absolutely no ability to improvise and has rarely played well against the better teams in the league. With the defense and ST play we had this year, we should have accomplished more. And as I've said several times in these sort of posts, I feel that we improved as a team in EVERY area other thanQB. There are too many weapon on offense that Drew cannot properly utilize because he is not up to speed mentally or physically. I, and a lot of others, feel he's had enough time to get the job done, and now it's time for a change. Apparently there is new evidence that Ralph, TD, and MM feel the same.

No offense taken at all.......I post to contribute my viewpoint an to have fun, not with the hope of expectation that people agree with me <_<  Actually, I take issue with you including me among the JP "worshippers"......I simply am ready or a change at QB and feel there is more than enough evidence to support such a change. I like JP because of his physical skills, but most of all because of his gunslinger, "chip on his shoulder" mentality. I like a QB who  brings that to the table, but there is no guarantee that JP will be successful.  To me, all you have to do is look at the Pats to know why it's time Drew should go. They win in spite of their injuries, of lack of talent in a particular area, or whatever. Drew apparently can only succeed if he has a PERFECT scenario in which to do so. That is simply not going to happen. Drew shows absolutely no ability to improvise and has rarely played well against the better teams in the league.  With the defense and ST play we had this year, we should have accomplished more. And as I've said several times in these sort of posts, I feel that we improved as a team in EVERY area other thanQB. There are too many weapon on offense that Drew cannot properly utilize because he is not up to speed mentally or physically. I, and a lot of others, feel he's had enough time to get the job done, and now it's time for a change. Apparently there is new evidence that Ralph, TD, and MM feel the same.

207742[/snapback]

I'm not sure how your point about the Pats follows from the arguments you make about Bledsoe. Bledsoe strikes me as an essential part of the Pats winning the SB in the 2001 season.

Granted his initial and probably primary contribution was getting hurt after two games and there is no guarantee he would provide the same service to give JP a chance like he gave Brady a chance (though TD seems ti be taking care of that). However, he

1. Played QB in the majority of a must-win game for NE in the championship game and even threw the TD which provided the margin of victory.

2. Is spoken of incredibly highly by Brady for helping him in his development before and particularly after his injury.

I think if all you have to do is look at the Pats then you would attempt to work on th difficult issue of making sure Bledsoe deals with the transition gracefully rather than worry about moving him out.

Cliff notes begin: Get readt for Kordell to come to Buffalo if Mort is right and Bledsoe is a goner.  Cliff notes end.

The news that TD is apparently pushing Bledsoe to the wall to take a paycut is quite interesting.  As I thought the resigning of Bledsoe was a mistake getting someone better at a reasonable cap hit is fine with me.  However, I have yet to see any of the folks dancing with glee at the thought of getting rid of Bledsoe suggest real alternatives for who and how the Bills go forward at QB in 2005.

I think one real world way of looking at this is to try to guess the Bills 2005 budget and I would love to see any rationale ideas about how we can play the best football we can under this budget.

I think it shakes out this way:

Current:

#1 QB- Bledsoe (but fortunately TD says he has to win the job and I think this is more than approrpiate). Cap hit= $6.5 million

#2- Losman has been given the opening by TD to use the minicamps and the pre-season to demonstrate that he can be our starter.  Cap hot= $1.3 million

#3- No one under contract but Matthews had a cap hit of $700,000 last year.

These numbers are the best available I have seen and are based on Clumping Platelets work checked by looking at Bills' Daily, the official Bills website and other sources.  If you have better #s fine, I'd love to add the source.

At any rate, in our budget we apparently have devoted about $8.5 million to the QB position currently and we have one more player to sign.

My guess is that we will need to sign another QB who is better than Matthews to be a credible team.  JP is clearly our QB of the future, but it remains unclear when the future is here.  I think JP developed nicely though not impressively last year primarily because of his injury.

He did not get much time in real games which all players seem to need to truly be a contributor.  On the negative side he came out of college with an impressive resume and rankings, but clearly identified issues regarding his mechanics and most pundits felt he was at least a year away.

In pre-season I was impressed with his athleticism and in the scrimmage against the Browns and his pre-season appearances I was impressed with his athleticism and I think he is the real deal.  However, the rumblings out of camp seemed to be that the cockiness which he showed (which I like) sometimes verged on obnoxiousness.  There were some rumors that the hit he took which caused his injury was in part the result of his taking inappropriate advantage of  the "tutu" QBs have in practice  which stop them from getting hit to run the ball when he blew a pass play and that Troy Vincent gave him a shove he was not prepared for when he bailed out and ran the ball.

Nevertheless, making lemonades out of the lemon as a fan of having him injured, I actually hope that he took advanatage of his enforced absense to soak up knowledge from Sam Wyche in the booth since he could not simply stand on the sidelines with the boys during games.

His return to play was not stunniing at all as he was thrown into mop-up duty against NE and shall we say did not impress anyone with his athleticism or ballhandling as he produced an INT and a fumble.  Yet, he seemed to take the correct lesson from this for his development in that his comments indicated that he not prepared himself to play and that in the future he would take it more seriously because you never know when you will be called upon to play.

In his next two mop-up appearances he drove the team to TDs relyingon WM to run the ball.  I think those who see these appearances as worthless because he did not throw the ball do not fully understand football and playter development from my view.  Even with the mental preparation necessary which differs from the NE game, JP showed that he still has things to learn in terms of controlling the huddle and the game like a vet

He took a delay of game penalty in his second appearance which I lay to him not being in total control when he first came in.  The good news is that he overcame this initial failure by calling the plays and handing the ball off well enough to WM to get the TD.

He improved in his third appearance in that he did not lose control such that we were penalized, instead he took an unecessary TO because he did not have control of the clock.  Not good, but better than a penalty.  Again he was impressive in moving the ball with the team as he not only got the team to a TD but converted a nice 3rd down with a scramble and even completed a clutch pass top Trafford.

He needs work, but I liked what I saw.

The bottomline is that JP may well have the stuff to earn the starting job sooner rather than later, but correctly he needs to do this on the field and not be given the job and we just suck it up and accept the losses while he learns.  He is well in front of his peak and there will be some tough games as part of the learning process, but JP need to show in my mind that he delivers a ggod enough chance at winning now to make this learning prcess tolerable.  0-4 was unacceptable under Bledsoe's watch and it will be unacceptable to me under JP's watch.

He may well win the job in mini-camp or pre-season or after a few games in 2005 (Brady did it in his second season and JP is far better regarded as a QB talent coming out of college than Brady was) but it would only be prudent for us to have a QB with at least the upside of Bledsoe for the dollars we have in 2005 if JP is not ready.

Thus, there is a lot of interesting talk today from Mort of us pushing Bledsoe to take  pay cut to reasonable back-up levels.  I don't know exactly what prompted this or what it means (the same as with everyone else).  Whatever.  I am pleased to see the Bills moving forward to improve the QB positio.  I trust the football braintrust enough that if this means Bledsoe is gone and we get someone better for a price we can afford, so be it. Likewise though if we keep Bledsoe and improve the QB position by picking up a better player with a giveback from Bledsoe that is fine with me also.

Yhe bottomline to me is this:

The two options (assuming Mort is right which is a big assumption since his reporting is not the same thing as TD publicly announcing something like Bledsoe must win the job). strike me as:

1. Keep Bledsoe at a reduced 2005 cap hit of a couple of million.

2. Cut Bledsoe and pick up 2 QB with the $2.8 million in cap room we have for QB in 2005 plus whatever cap room we want to devote to this pick-up instead of using this cap room for other FAs.

Under the first option, I think we can probably pick-up one of the current FA QBs fiancially (Brees will want to get too much money for us from the market and will probably not be on the market anyway.  This means Kordell. Holcomb, Bath or MacMahon who I think likely can be had for a 2005 cap hit of $2.8 million.  I/m ot impressed with any of them but a three-way competition between JP. Bledsoe, and this FA should give us two QBs to start the minicamps with.

The problem is I'm not sure that one of the available FAs can't do better than going up against JP and Bledsoe for the job.

The second option is also doable for us.  My guess is that we are limely to get someone like Kordell as our #2 but if TD can make the deal work to give Kordell some active time as out slash starter we might be able to arract a career back0up able to run our run first D successfully like a Holcomb.

This really is interesting.

207555[/snapback]

To me Drews replacement needs to NOT be another version of him!

I think its crucial for our #1 option at QB, JP, to be shown that the front office is behind him. I do not want him to not have to compete, that would put him in too much of a comfort zone. But I dont want him to be looking up at another guy who was brought in to start the season either, that send the wrong message to the guy you drafted in the 1st, and then showed faith in by forcing Drew out or to take a big pay cut.

To me, I dont see jack squat in FA. MY mold for Drews replacement would be a young guy with some experience and some upside. Id also like a guy who can scramble to get out of the statue mess we have been in. Mike McMahon might be the best option.

If we sign a Mike McMahon, he really cant be viewed as a day one starter at QB and only presents an outside shot for competition to JP. It should have no effect on JP's confidence but should at least have him keeping 1 eye over his shoulder.

McMahon has fiery play which I think we have needed since Kelly left, has a decent but not great arm, and can scramble. I liek him alot as our #2 alot more than some retread washup who is cut from a team without a supporting cast because he didnt get squat done (see Warner).

Anyways, JP has the 1st shot at the team and unless he pulls a monumental f-up he wins the job but he DOES have a viable guy on the bench who could not only represent a starter in a picnh but also is young enough to leave open the possibility of being the future if he plays well or if JP fails.

If your response is that Drew is our starter in 05, or that some guy who isnt even on the team yet will start because JP isnt ready, dont bother to respond. I dont at all agree and wont waste the time to argue about it. If you respond with serious discussion on adding a guy from some other team as our #2 who is an upgrade to Mathews, go for it, lets talk.

I like Bledsoe when his game is on, and things are going right... But it seems when a play breaks down, or the defense sniffs out the play, his ability to improvise or scamper for a positive gain are very limited. I'll be honest and say I have seen very little of Losman, but i do think he can succeed. WIth some confidence under his belt, and game experience to shake the jitters, he'll be a good ball player. He has the ability to move, throw the ball accurately while on the move (like Big Ben), and throws good solid strikes from what i have seen. Blesoe can be a decent starting QB, but I think it'll take extraordinary circumstances for a team with him at QB to be outright dominant week in and week out. He seems to be streaky. Started out hot in 02, then faded... Didn't do much in 03, started ice cold in 04, then heated up as teh season went on just to blow it at the end. Donahoe is a smart guy, and I'm sure he sees Bledsoe as most people do, good, but not consistent enough to be a big game QB. I like the prospects right now that we have as QB, I like the idea of an open competition for next years starting QB, and I like the idea of drafting a young guy in the later rounds of the draft to groom for the next 3-5 years. I'm pretty sure JP will be winning ball games for this club in the near future.

Cliff notes begin: Get readt for Kordell to come to Buffalo if Mort is right and Bledsoe is a goner. Cliff notes end.

I think I'd rather see Bledsoe stay instead of having Seal at QB.

208056[/snapback]

LOL, thats frikkin hilarious!

I think its crucial for our #1 option at QB, JP, to be shown that the front office is behind him.

207991[/snapback]

If JP is so fragile that he needs to be molly coddled I doubt he is ready to start. One of the great things about him is his cockiness. It can go too far if he becomes such a legend in his own mine he gets worried about his own headlines and stats rather than the team's W/L. However, my guess is that his unfortunate injury from a shove by Vincent after he apparently had been using the tutu which stops tackling of QBs in practice and the apparent bitchslapping he got that only Billy Joe Hobert is unready to play anytime you don the uniform when he was thrown into mop-up the NE game have properly adjusted his attitude.

If these rude awakenings to being a pro or being forced to work without the front office believing in him have made him a bad QB, then I can do without him and soon.

The great ones like Farve and Young and even a good effort from Dilfer to win an SB came after front offices gave up on them. I expect as much from JP.

As faras options. If Drew leaves then I expect we will have a couple of million dollars in cap room to acquire a QB. We probably have to resign Matthews as our disaster QB, but suddenly the Bills job will become more attractive to a rejected former starter who will be happy to dual with the youngster JP for the job.

Heck, I would even think itsa good idea to sign your buddy Harrington because the word is that Detroit may give up on him. If he is willing to take the job without us going too far into our cap room to sign him (a cap hit for him of about $2 million) this may be the answer.

Right now is premature because we need to see who gets cut.

I like Mathews too.  I am not so sure we need to sign a veteran if we resign Mathews.  Give JP every chance to be our starter, Mathews would be our backup and perhaps drafting a QB and developing them.

207565[/snapback]

I saw Stefan LeFores in the East West game. He looked very impressive. I think He would make a good late round pick or UFA