Need Help With Fios Wireless Connection

ChevyVanMiller

Okay, here's the deal. I live in a Condo. The neighbor right across from me just installed Fios and graciously shared with me her WEP code for access to her WiFi connection.

Once I got connected, I was getting 3 bars. Pages wouldn't load at all. I spent $30 on a WiFi booster antenna - now I get 5 bars and it tells me I have link and connectivity ratings in the high 80s.

Now pages will download, but at an agonizing dial-up pace.

Any suggestions about what else I can do? (if it matters, there are about 12 WiFi networks that show up around the condos, so they may be interfering).

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Okay, here's the deal. I live in a Condo. The neighbor right across from me just installed Fios and graciously shared with me her WEP code for access to her WiFi connection.

Once I got connected, I was getting 3 bars. Pages wouldn't load at all. I spent $30 on a WiFi booster antenna - now I get 5 bars and it tells me I have link and connectivity ratings in the high 80s.

Now pages will download, but at an agonizing dial-up pace.

Any suggestions about what else I can do? (if it matters, there are about 12 WiFi networks that show up around the condos, so they may be interfering).

Have them change WEP to WPA2. I had to do that on my router in order to get my new (WIN8) laptop to connect at a consistent speed...

Thanks. Does Verizon have to come back out to do that?

No, you can do it yourself. https:192.168.1.1 to get to the router, password is printed on a sticker on the router, user name admin. if that password doesn't work, try password1. The WPA key will be a few characters longer than the WEP key, so you will have to change the passwords on all wireless devices.

Edited by ricojes

No, you can do it yourself. https:192.168.1.1 to get to the router, password is printed on a sticker on the router, user name admin. if that password doesn't work, try password1. The WPA key will be a few characters longer than the WEP key, so you will have to change the passwords on all wireless devices.

I thought it was a secret that half of Verizon's passwords are password1.

I work for Verizon and I just get strange looks when I say that is a bad default password.