[OT] Need an opinion on electrical interference

SDS

when my sump pump turns on - I get a brief popping noise in my speakers. I'm wondering if it is more likely that my speaker wires are picking it up or if it an electrical spike going into my receiver and then to my speakers....

when my sump pump turns on - I get a brief popping noise in my speakers.  I'm wondering if it is more likely that my speaker wires are picking it up or if it an electrical spike going into my receiver and then to my speakers....

206509[/snapback]

Very probable, esp if your receiver and sump pump are on the same circuit. I'd check the grounding and connections in the circuit box (if you're adventurous enough)

Very probable, esp if your receiver and sump pump are on the same circuit.  I'd check the grounding and connections in the circuit box (if you're adventurous enough)

206513[/snapback]

I know it is the pump - it's just a matter if it is going through the electrical wires into the amp or if my speaker wires are picking it up directly. The moron who wired the house put them too close together.

I know it is the pump - it's just a matter if it is going through the electrical wires into the amp or if my speaker wires are picking it up directly.  The moron who wired the house put them too close together.

206515[/snapback]

I've been doing a lot of research on this, as I'm finishing my basement right now. From what I've read, speaker wires don't get interference from electrical wires. I've even read that, although not recommended, running speaker wires through the same holes in the studs as electrical wires has no effect (although may be against code).

That said, I'd guess it's because they're both on the same circuit and the quick power draw from the sump pump is affecting the receiver. For example, when my laser printer starts printing, the lights in bedroom (same circuit) start to dim...

CW

I've been doing a lot of research on this, as I'm finishing my basement right now.  From what I've read, speaker wires don't get interference from electrical wires.  I've even read that, although not recommended, running speaker wires through the same holes in the studs as electrical wires has no effect (although may be against code).

That said, I'd guess it's because they're both on the same circuit and the quick power draw from the sump pump is affecting the receiver.  For example, when my laser printer starts printing, the lights in bedroom (same circuit) start to dim...

CW

206521[/snapback]

if that is the case, can I put something in between my receiver and the wall to stop this?

if that is the case, can I put something in between my receiver and the wall to stop this?

206523[/snapback]

You could try putting an ISObar or something there (http://www.tripplite.com/products/suppressors/isobar.cfm). Not sure if that would work not though. I don't suppose there's another circuit you could put the receiver/sump pump on?

You could ask around on http://www.avsforum.com as well; there's lots of people there who know 1,000X more than I do. They may have other suggestions.

CW

206523[/snapback]

Stupid Q, but have yyou tried plugging the receiver or sump pump into other outlets to see if the problem goes away? Sounds like the interference is within the electrical circuit. Do the basic things before you start spending lots of cash for fancy gizmos.

I've been doing a lot of research on this, as I'm finishing my basement right now.  From what I've read, speaker wires don't get interference from electrical wires.  I've even read that, although not recommended, running speaker wires through the same holes in the studs as electrical wires has no effect (although may be against code).

That said, I'd guess it's because they're both on the same circuit and the quick power draw from the sump pump is affecting the receiver.  For example, when my laser printer starts printing, the lights in bedroom (same circuit) start to dim...

CW

206521[/snapback]

Well, that would be wrong. Speaker wires can ABSOLUTELY pick up noise. Without knowing more about this specific circuit, it is hard to tell if the noise is being picked up through the amp, or through the speaker wires. The power supply in the amp has rectifiers, so that will clip some of the noise, and the fact that the power goes through a transformer will clean things up as well.

If the speaker wires are close to the electrical wires, I would suspect that you are picking up some noise through this. Motors are notorious for infusing noise on a circuit, and if your speaker wires are not shielded, then the noise can be induced onto these wires. If the wires are shielded, you need to make sure that one side is properly grounded. If both sides are grounded or ungrounded, then the shield will act like an antenna, making the problem worse. Like I said, if the wires are shielded, then just ground one end.

As far as helping with the noise being induced on the lines, you can add capacitors to the electrical lines to help reduce noise.

Stupid Q, but have yyou tried plugging the receiver or sump pump into other outlets to see if the problem goes away?  Sounds like the interference is within the electrical circuit.  Do the basic things before you start spending lots of cash for fancy gizmos.

206540[/snapback]

If if the pump is on another circuit, you can still get noise. Breaker panels do nothing to protect against noise. If you induce noise on your electrical lines, you can get it throughout the house. You might be able to minimize it on a different circuit, but theoretically, it can fill all circuits of the house.

If if the pump is on another circuit, you can still get noise. Breaker panels do nothing to protect against noise. If you induce noise on your electrical lines, you can get it throughout the house. You might be able to minimize it on a different circuit, but theoretically, it can fill all circuits of the house.

206542[/snapback]

You are correct, but it would also depend on what kind of noise it is and whether it occurs on all receiver sources. If the noise only goes on when the pump engages, it sounds like the power surge is the interference and could be an isolated issue to the circuit and not be strong enough to really affect other circuits. Otherwise, he'd always hear the audio hum.

You are correct, but it would also depend on what kind of noise it is and whether it occurs on all receiver sources.  If the noise only goes on when the pump engages, it sounds like the power surge is the interference and could be an isolated issue to the circuit and not be strong enough to really affect other circuits.  Otherwise, he'd always hear the audio hum.

206545[/snapback]

that is what happens - the pump goes on and "POP!" I hear the noise and then all is well.

206542[/snapback]

can I prevent this at the outlet? My pump runs all the time and it is annoying. :w00t:

You are correct, but it would also depend on what kind of noise it is and whether it occurs on all receiver sources.  If the noise only goes on when the pump engages, it sounds like the power surge is the interference and could be an isolated issue to the circuit and not be strong enough to really affect other circuits.  Otherwise, he'd always hear the audio hum.

206545[/snapback]

First, a power surge is not noise, it is just that: a power surge. This would effect the entire house.

Second, I did not know that there were different types of noise. Could you explain that one to me? Please be specific. :w00t:

can I prevent this at the outlet?  My pump runs all the time and it is annoying.  :w00t:

206549[/snapback]

You can prevent it at any point in the circuit (outlet, breaker, etc). It does not matter.

when my sump pump turns on - I get a brief popping noise in my speakers.  I'm wondering if it is more likely that my speaker wires are picking it up or if it an electrical spike going into my receiver and then to my speakers....

206509[/snapback]

You don't have a panasonic SCht900 do you?

how???

206552[/snapback]

Without knowing exactly what is causing the interference, it is tough to say whether you need to put something on the speaker wires, run new speaker wires to keep them away from 120VAC wires or condition the AC wires.

The cheap solution is ferrite cores on the power cords of your stereo equipment. This may not entirely fix the problem, but it should help. Hopefully, this is all that you will need.

Next, you can try MOV's. The easiest way to introduce this to the circuit, is with a unit like this or the one Fezmid mentioned. These will not protect you from voltage drops, but it does some line conditioning for spikes.

If these suggestions do not work, it could cost a little more. You could try to add capacitors to the main incoming power, but you may not be comfortable doing that yourself.

Without knowing exactly what is causing the interference, it is tough to say whether you need to put something on the speaker wires, run new speaker wires to keep them away from 120VAC wires or condition the AC wires.

The cheap solution is ferrite cores on the power cords of your stereo equipment. This may not entirely fix the problem, but it should help. Hopefully, this is all that you will need.

Next, you can try MOV's. The easiest way to introduce this to the circuit, is with a unit like this or the one Fezmid mentioned. These will not protect you from voltage drops, but it does some line conditioning for spikes.

If these suggestions do not work, it could cost a little more. You could try to add capacitors to the main incoming power, but you may not be comfortable doing that yourself.

206569[/snapback]

You could also plug the receiver into your neighbor's box to make sure the interference is not coming through the speaker wires.