This is a blue chip defense based on draft position

With Byrd back in the fold, the starting D now has 8 out of 11 guys selected in the first or second round.

5 first rounders (Mario, Dareus, Lawson, McKelvin, Gilmore

3 second rounders (Byrd, A. Williams, Kiko)

1 third (Carrington)

1 fourth (Bradham)

1 fifth (K. Williams)

The first rounders are high ones too. Overall - Mario (1), Dareus (3), Gilmore (10), Leodis (11), Lawson (22).

The lowest guy, the fifth rounder, might be the best defensive player on the team.

I know some of those guys haven't lived up to their draft billing. And I know it doesn't really mean anything once the ball is snapped, but in terms of raw athletic talent it says something. Hope Pettine can put it all together.

Just imagine if Maybin, Whitner, and Puz were still on the roster. If only being a high round pick meant you can actually play!

ya hughes was a top ten pick no? good post.

why? did we sign plaxico burress??

No, but we have Stevie Johnson to imitate him. B-)

With Byrd back in the fold, the starting D now has 8 out of 11 guys selected in the first or second round.

5 first rounders (Mario, Dareus, Lawson, McKelvin, Gilmore

3 second rounders (Byrd, A. Williams, Kiko)

1 third (Carrington)

1 fourth (Bradham)

1 fifth (K. Williams)

The first rounders are high ones too. Overall - Mario (1), Dareus (3), Gilmore (10), Leodis (11), Lawson (22).

The lowest guy, the fifth rounder, might be the best defensive player on the team.

I know some of those guys haven't lived up to their draft billing. And I know it doesn't really mean anything once the ball is snapped, but in terms of raw athletic talent it says something. Hope Pettine can put it all together.

Any idea how this compare's to the league average? It seems like we do have a lot players who went d 1 and rd 2... but then again so do a lot of teams

Just doing another AFC east team off the top of my head:

The patriots I count 7 1st or 2nd roundes Wilfork, Talib, Chandler Jones, Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, McCourty

Jets I count 7 to Muhammed, Coples, Cromartie, Richardson, Millner, D Harris, Calvin Pace,

could be forgetting some names...