This is a blue chip defense based on draft position

With Byrd back in the fold, the starting D now has 8 out of 11 guys selected in the first or second round.

5 first rounders (Mario, Dareus, Lawson, McKelvin, Gilmore

3 second rounders (Byrd, A. Williams, Kiko)

1 third (Carrington)

1 fourth (Bradham)

1 fifth (K. Williams)

The first rounders are high ones too. Overall - Mario (1), Dareus (3), Gilmore (10), Leodis (11), Lawson (22).

The lowest guy, the fifth rounder, might be the best defensive player on the team.

I know some of those guys haven't lived up to their draft billing. And I know it doesn't really mean anything once the ball is snapped, but in terms of raw athletic talent it says something. Hope Pettine can put it all together.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Well, this is the year we find out about a lot of those guys. We find out of Mario was worth the money, if Dareus is a bust, if Gilmore becomes one of the best CBs in the league, if Hughes can resurrect his career, if McKelvin can be a legit starter and if K. Williams can stay healthy. We also find out of Pettine is a legit DC or if Ryan was really the one running the show.

If we get positive answers to these a lot of these questions the D will be one of the best in the league.

To be honest, my first thought was: "Well, what does that tell you about the draft?"

But really, that's a pretty impressive assemblage of talent, much of which has underperformed or remains untapped or untried.

Well, this is the year we find out about a lot of those guys. We find out of Mario was worth the money, if Dareus is a bust, if Gilmore becomes one of the best CBs in the league, if Hughes can resurrect his career, if McKelvin can be a legit starter and if K. Williams can stay healthy. We also find out of Pettine is a legit DC or if Ryan was really the one running the show.

If we get positive answers to these a lot of these questions the D will be one of the best in the league.

To me, this is the big question. I think that, without a doubt, there are a great deal of talented players here. Unlike last preseason, they actually seem to be effective against other offenses. But the real question seems to be whether or not Pettine can bring everyone together. Even if we have a few disappointments, if the scheme works, this defense could be really nasty.

With Byrd back in the fold, the starting D now has 8 out of 11 guys selected in the first or second round.

5 first rounders (Mario, Dareus, Lawson, McKelvin, Gilmore

3 second rounders (Byrd, A. Williams, Kiko)

1 third (Carrington)

1 fourth (Bradham)

1 fifth (K. Williams)

The first rounders are high ones too. Overall - Mario (1), Dareus (3), Gilmore (10), Leodis (11), Lawson (22).

The lowest guy, the fifth rounder, might be the best defensive player on the team.

I know some of those guys haven't lived up to their draft billing. And I know it doesn't really mean anything once the ball is snapped, but in terms of raw athletic talent it says something. Hope Pettine can put it all together.

I was just talking about this.

There is way more raw athletic talent in its prime then those Ravens North Defenses the Jests had a few tears back with old broken down vets.

Like I said earlier this defense is going to terrorize the NFL, I'm calling it now.

First!

Edited by Why So Serious?

Ho

I was just talking about this.

There is way more raw athletic talent in its prime then those Ravens North Defenses the Jests had a few tears back with old broken down vets.

Like I said earlier this defense is going to terrorize the NFL, I'm calling it now.

First!

Hope you are right. Good point that they are all in their prime (or pre-prime with the younger ones). There is no one in that lineup who, if healthy, shouldn't have several good years left.

I am so hoping this aggressive, swirling, body-punching defense we are seeing in preseason isn't a mirage. Even if the Bills aren't that great this year, I would be content if they were at least a little scary.

We're not necessarily going to get definitive answers to all of these questions in just one year. Dareus could have another off year then turn it around and make a bunch of pro bowls, Gilmore might take another year or two to become one of the best, etc. There's certainly high hopes for this season, justifiably so but given how young this team is it will probably take a couple years to find all these things out.

FANTASY SLEEPER ALERT! A la Seattle's D last year?

Buffalo is my only D I drafted n a very competitive league. There were ranked 26th or something and the other owners laughed when I declared I would start Buffalo every week. They do have potential to be Seattle. And they have an embarrasment of riches for the return game

Apparently you haven't seen him play this summer.

He looks better than he's looked in years.

Amen. If there's one guy who us fan's shouldn't ever worry about it's KW.

And he said something along the lines of being only "85%" back from injury too.