Jets/Lions Report (The Buttfumble Strikes Back)

Lions Jets in Detroit. I wanted to see if there was any perceptible difference between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith(QBs...in case you haven't been watching ESPN for last 8 years). I also wanted to see how the Jets O line would do against a respectable D line in Detroit. And, I wanted to see how well the Jets D would do against an O that has legit stars on it.

Lions ball on their 20.

1st and 10. Decent pass pressure from Jets D line, 4 guys, Matt Stafford looks to dump it off, but it's batted away by Quinton Coples. Nice play for Coples, he knew he wasn't going to get there, so he jumped and batted it up in the air. A slightly different bounce and that's a pick.

2nd and 10. Penalty Jets neutral zone infraction...no play. More Jets Penalties this game than I've seen in years.

2nd and 5. 6 yard run from Reggie Bush. The Jets DT got in and blew up the play that was designed to go up the middle. However, Bush bounced it outside, and hurdled a guy. I'm sure that's on ESPN highlights. D did a great job, but Bush did a better one.

1st and 10 Almost the same play, designed to go up the middle. Jets DL, and LBs are all over it. Great penetration by D line, allowing the LBs free runs into the backfield. Loss of 3.

2nd and 13 Pay attention as this affects you! Lions in a standard 3 WR 2 RB set, one RB on each side of the QB. This is the same "20" formation the Bills run. But, then? Reggie Bush goes out wide. He is now the outside WR. The Jets CB moves over to cover Bush. This means that the LB is now covering Megatron(Calvin Johnson) :o Yeah...not good. It's fancy picture time! You can see the LB, crapping his pants right here:

Jest_Lions_LBMegatron.jpg

Isn't there some football team in NY, that has a RB who is scary, who everybody knows can play WR, and also has a WR who is known for his slant ability? :lol: See why I said "pay attention"? Yep, here's what can happen out of our "20" formation, and this instantly neutralizes the Jets pass rush.

The result? 7 yard slant play to Megatron...and the LB saying "Whew! That could have been a lot worse!"

3rd and 6. Incomplete. Waste of a great play. Same thing: 3 WR set. Reggie Bush again, lines up next the QB, but, again, trots out to play WR...this time in the slot on the other side. Now, the Jets are stuck with a LB on on him. Mismatched. Again. (Keep in mind the Lions are huddling, just imagine this w/ no huddle) Bush Open, of course. Stafford had all day to throw, but lead Bush too much. Bush would have gotten the 1st. Jets got lucky here. Stafford is the only problem with this play. Detroit announcers are Stafford homers, like J-ville were "Blaine" homers. Punt

Jest ball on their 10, Sanchez in game

1st and 10 Jets 2 RB, 2WR 1TE set. Both jets tackles get bull rushed back into Sanchez. Sanchez does a nice job of escaping, and trys to hit the checkdown RB who had released out of the backfield. Fail. Bat throw on the run. RB had no chance.

2nd and 10 4 WR 1 RB. Inside hand off goes noplace. The LG was supposed to pull, but he's never going to get there in time. Yes, I understand its a timing play, but the laws of physics...whatever. Another play to tear out of the playbook.

3rd and 9 Jets go 5 WR set :o O line gives Sanchez good time. UNLIKE Tannehill, Sanchez progresses through his reads nicely, and then finds Spadola? on a nice underneath crossing rout.

Everbody knows I have been saying that Sanchez is an ESPN construct made soley out of hype. But, I gotta say, I was just about to think "hey maybe there is..." But I never got the chance because:

BUUUTT-fum-BLE!

Sanchez turned it over, again. This time by throwing directly to the Lions #1 draft pick. It's fancy picture time:Jets_Lions_BFPick.jpg

I am tempted to say "this concludes my review of Mark Sanchez, the ESPN monkey-boy side show attraction" out of pity. But, I shall press on: Pick 6 for Detroit. Detroit's new DE, #5 overall Ziggy Ansah? He was doing good already. If you play fantasy with ind. def.? Get him. (Remember when I said "LT/RT blown up" above? That left tackle is Da-Brick, and Ansah ate his lunch.) The pick 6 was just icing on the cake. Is it Da-Brick bad, or Ansah good? Don't know. Probably a little of both, which might means good things for our pass rush.

Jest ball on their 20. Buttfumble still at QB. He has played his way into being called Buttfumble for the rest of this thread.

1st and 10 Quick slant 1st down.

1st and 10 Running play loses 2. I have no earthly idea what Da-Brick was doing here. He blocked Ansah, then left him alone, and ran to the 2nd level. Ansah, now free, tackled the ball carrier. :blink: Strangest thing. Either execution or play design, or bad blocking assignments at the line? In all cases? Shambles.

2nd and 12. Ahh...this is the play they were trying to run when Buttfumble buttfumbled. FB sneaks out of the backfield to the flank, and Buttfumble hits him while throwing over the head of the oncoming blitzer. Whatever, gain of 2 yards.

3rd and 10. Nice, nice play. The O line does a good job and everybody on the D line is on the ground/going nowhere. Sanchez proves he is better than Tannehill, but looking at 3 different WRs and hitting a late developing rout. Perfect throw, right on the WR.

1st and 10. Play action. Nice ball fake. For nothing. Blatant holding by LG of Jets Peterman, who tries to play it off...pathetically. Derek Roy is more believable.

1st and 20. Wildcat. Small gain. 3 yards?

2nd and 17 Playaction, Screen, Near-buttfumble. Buttfumble threw an awful pass to the RB. They guy tried to get a hand on it, but only succeeded in popping it up, and the Lion S almost had it. But then the RB trucked him. :lol: Buttfumble owes that RB $.

3rd and 17 Terrible pass on a checkdown, that the RB made a nice play to get, but, it's not enough for the 1st. Punt.

Lions ball at their 19

1st and 10 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Reggie Bush acting like Larry Czonka? Not For Long. Jets D all over that.

2nd an 8 Its fancy picture time! Reggie Bush lines up next to Stafford again, but this time, runs a rout out of the backfield. This is the textbook definition of "flooding a zone":

Jets_Lions_Zone_Beaten.jpg

First, look at the yellow. You can see this is right, because the LB has his toes on my line. :lol: Now see how we have 2 Lion players in one zone, one right behind the other, but spaced out...just right? And, nobody in LB zone? The CB zone is now: flooded. The LB can't help, because at this point, he is already beaten, he just doens't know it yet. :lol: Megatron's diagonal rout to the sideline, and BEHIND the CB, ensures that. The CB has to make a choice of 1 guy to cover, and he already has: Bush. Bush's job is to run flat, not diagonal, to the sideline and ensure the CB follows him, which will open the space behind the CB for Megatron.

Megatron catches the ball, near the sideline, behind the CB, and too far away from the Safety for him to do anything about it. The Bills can do this all day with our WRs and CJ/Fred. All our O line has to do is block for 3 seconds.

1st and 10 Megatron again. Nice back shoulder play. Nothing Cromartie could do. 5 step drop, 2 seconds, ball is away. 20 yards.

1st and 10 Pump fake to the right, back to the left for the TD....broken up. Close

2nd and 10 Tried another back shoulder...not on the same page. Incomplete.

3rd and 10 Over throw to the left.

FG. Too bad, the Lions petered out. Lions 10-0

It's important to note that the Lions have now begin to shuffle in their 2nd team in rotation, especially the LBs and DBs. 1st team Lions O is done.

Jest ball on their 20

1st and 10 Lions Lb tries to go for the ball on the out rout and Fails. Kellen Winslow catches it and has tons of daylight. 23 yards...on a 2nd team LB. Good throw from Buttfumble. See, he's just good enough to trick you. :lol:

Bottom Line for the rest of Buttfumble's time: This drive ends in a TD, because the Lions D was completely out of position on almost every play. They had no clue on the TD. Busted coverage. So, yeah, the Jets 1st team is better than the Lions 2nd team. Buttfumble: 10/13 125 yards, 1 TD(against backups), one horrible, horrible, most likely game-losing Pick 6. Against Detroit's D with their O? Yes, game-losing.

Jets D was OK, but they showed they can be torched for big gains in the passing game. The Lions didn't try to run hardly at all after the first 2 were stuffed.

I wish we had Shaun Hill instead of Kevin Kolb.

Ok Geno Time:

Not gonna do play by play against backups, and Geno got hurt

1: Geno's ball has more zip than Buttfumble's.

2: Smith height may be a problem, but, Buttfumble had one batted away as well. May not matter.

3: Geno has excellent ball fake ability

We'll see what happens with Geno's injury...but...if I'm the coach? I can't keep letting Buttfumble be Buttfumble, and have any hope of keeping my locker room together all season. Smith looks serviceable, and he has yet to buttfumble.

That is all there is to it, for me. You may disagree. We'll see....

So was the Lions OL that good or was the Jets DL/Pressure that bad?

The Lions ran it 2 times(Edit: 3 times. I forgot about the Bush=Czonka play, because it is...forgettable) against the Jets, and realized that without a super play from Bush, they weren't going to do much inside against them. They never ran it again, until much later. So, I'd say the Jets run D is solid thusfar. The Lions O line wasn't beating up on the D line at any point.

The pass is a different story, but, I don't know how much that is O line goodness, vs. play design and Qb play. The Jets backfield zone was exposed repeatedly. Especially with Shaun Hill vs. Jets 2nd team. I'd say the Jets are in trouble a bit with LBs and DBs, especially against an O with more than one good player. They are definitely in trouble if any of their starters on D get hurt. Everybody else is JAG.

I wouldn't call Reggie Bush great, but he is good. You put him in the same lineup with the Megatron, and, as I showed above they have to respect him, and they can't double Megatron.

That's what I like about this: we have CJ and SJ. The lions just proved that it is there, if you can execute. Thus, it comes down to EJ....and to a lesser degree, making sure that the left guard thing is resolved.

These are fantastic. Can we expect some from tomorrow as well?

I usually stick to the division with this, and of course, the Bills. Unless you really want another game. Convince me, and perhaps.

Definitely doing the Bills tomorrow. Probably break it down into 1 thread per half.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I usually stick to the division with this, and of course, the Bills. Unless you really want another game. Convince me, and perhaps.

Definitely doing the Bills tomorrow. Probably break it down into 1 thread per half.

Looking forward to it! Excellent stuff and good humor!