Rate my Team (be kind)

YoloinOhio

I had my draft last night and overall, I'm not too thrilled with how it turned out. It is a 12-team, standard league with 1 QB, 2RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K, DST, and 5 reserves. I drafted 7th, which was a problem because by the time we got to my pick all the RBs who I felt were worthy of that spot were gone. I went with the top-rated WR instead in round 1. I think this screwed with my team from the get-go because the best RB available (in my opinion) at the time was Frank Gore. I did more research on him after the fact and the word is he is NOT a good fantasy pick this year. Sigh. Anyway - here is my team:

QB - Cam Newton - This is the QB I wanted and I got him in round 4. Good, right? Well, now having some buyer's remorse since I read this morning that he had a terrible week in camp. My jinx level is alive and well.

RB1 - Frank Gore - As I mentioned, I took him in round 2 because when I picked in round 1 all the RBs worthy of the #7 overall pick were gone. This was probably a mistake and I should have just taken the highest rated RB there. I was thinking Gore was a solid pick in round 2 as he is the starting RB on a very good team, so said team will likely be able to run the ball a lot and he'llget the majority of carries. Fantasy experts say though that both his carries and catches will be down as there is a slew of younger RBs behind him. Nice :(

RB2 - Shane Vereen - Got this one in a later round, can't remember exactly where. I know he isn't the starter in NE but my understanding is he is going to be only the field a lot and get a ton of touches, especially through the air. Plus, I can't resist a good potential jinx taking a NE guy.

WR1 - Calvin Johnson - no worries here, other than I feel I should have taken an RB in round 1 instead of a WR

WR2 - DeSean Jackson - I like this pick in round 3 - with all the guys out in Philly I think he will get the ball a ton

WR3 - Danny Amendola - I got him late (round 6 I think) and if thinks shape up like they want them too in NE he'll be the new Welker. Plus, potential jinx again :)

TE - Antonio Gates - SD has lost a starting WR and I think Rivers is going to go to Gates a lot with the lack of WRs.

K - Steven Gostkowski - #1 rated kicker, so no complaints

DST - Cincinnati - I like their defense a lot and they play in a division that typically isn't super high scoring to begin with

Reserves-

RB Jaquizz Rogers - Seems like he could get some carries in ATL, as Stephen Jackson looks good but has injury potential. he was very late round obviously

RB LaMichael James - supposedly going to return kicks in SF

RB Shonn Greene - going to play on goal line situations in TN. Admittedly I didn't mean to draft him but had my draft on Auto-pick by mistake. It's oK though, I think this is decent late round pick

WR Brian Hartline - actually kind of a stud WR in Miami who no one knows about. Glad to get him late.

WR Malcolm Floyd - Going to start in SD because of the injury to Danarius Alexander.

Any thoughts? My biggest worry are my RBs and truthfully, my QB :(

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

QB - he'll be fine. Solid pick in the 4th.

RB - Gore in round 2 was a good pickup IMO but the hole at RB2 may kill your team.

WR - Obviously a strength but Jackson in round 3 may be your fatal mistake. I think you had to get a RB there. You ended up with plenty of WR depth.

The rest is fine; Gates is slowing down a lot but still better than most.

What were the first 6 picks? McCoy was gone at 7?

QB - he'll be fine. Solid pick in the 4th.

RB - Gore in round 2 was a good pickup IMO but the hole at RB2 may kill your team.

WR - Obviously a strength but Jackson in round 3 may be your fatal mistake. I think you had to get a RB there. You ended up with plenty of WR depth.

The rest is fine; Gates is slowing down a lot but still better than most.

What were the first 6 picks? McCoy was gone at 7?

I can't recall exactly... I know Spiller was really high, like 3. McCoy was gone, Trent Richardson was the BPA at RB and he scares me as I live in OH and know all about his injuries with the Browns. Just didn't want to take him that high. Yeah, my RB situation is not good at all.

I can't recall exactly... I know Spiller was really high, like 3. McCoy was gone, Trent Richardson was the BPA at RB and he scares me as I live in OH and know all about his injuries with the Browns. Just didn't want to take him that high. Yeah, my RB situation is not good at all.

Actually I think it went AP, Foster, Spiller, Charles, Doug Martin, McCoy

Don't like your RB's. I like Gore as a #2 but not a #1. Good that you got James to back him up. WR's are very nice. I think at this point Gates is a adequate TE. Is there anyone else on the wire like Branden Myers? Also Malcom Floyd doesn't do much for me. If I was going to look at a SD to capitalize on Alexander going down I would rather have Vincent Brown.

Don't like your RB's. I like Gore as a #2 but not a #1. Good that you got James to back him up. WR's are very nice. I think at this point Gates is a adequate TE. Is there anyone else on the wire like Branden Myers? Also Malcom Floyd doesn't do much for me. If I was going to look at a SD to capitalize on Alexander going down I would rather have Vincent Brown.

Hmmm.. thanks for the suggestions, I am going to check the waiver wire to see if any of the guys you mention are available for potential add/drop.

Should have taken T Rich over Megatron but CJ is a beast and the Lions will be a passing team. Gore may have been a reach. Draft looks pretty solid especially for taking time off and getting back in. Good luck with your season.

LOL, thanks, I think I know a lot about football, but not so much from a fantasy angle. Should have prepared more and known to take RB first and 2nd round, no matter what. Oh well. Go Frank Gore! LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to high on this team b/c of the start. I love the Calviin pick in a 10 team, but your draft shows why it can be problematic in deeper leagues.

You went: Calvin - Gore

You likely could have went: T. Rich/Ray Rice/Lynch/Morris - Julio/D. Thomas/B. Marshall/or even Dez Bryant(maybe)

Even if I'm too high on the Wrs and its a full notch lower then it is still a crop with the likes of Roddy White/Andre Johnson/Cobb/vjax/and Larry fitz w/ a new qb

That's all assuming you didn't end up wanting Gore as a 2nd good back.

Anyway I think you could have gotten a more reliable rb1 and a top notch wr...or a good #1rb and #2 rb...instead you got a good wr1 and a guy I'm not thrilled to have as rb2. Who know it could work out great but I might have even taken a different rb with your Gore pick depending on who is available.

Also, now your RB2 is bad. And I'm not a huge fan of D. Jackson a lot of risk there (but a lot of reward possibly). Danny Amendola could save your team if you find a way to get a better RB2 off waivers.

TL;DR - Your WRs could explode and carry the team for a while but you will have to beef up RB somehow you are hurting there and it will crush you over the course of the season. Also, your WRs are risky so better get going on waivers now. Cam is fine, just cross your fingers for similar rushing stats.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.