Bunch Formation

I like it too, for above reasons and the fact that it disguises and creates matchup problems, as well. I BTW think that Marrone will run the ball which the bunch can also lead to a semi wedge of blockers in front of the back.

Boys beat me to the matchup lol, I should read it when it says one post has been added do you want to see it?

Edited by bowery4

I like it too, for above reasons and the fact that it disguises and creates matchup problems things, as well. I BTW think that Marrone will run the ball which the bunch can also lead to a semi wedge of blockers in front of the back.

Do you want to run CJ Spiller in to traffic? Or do you want to turn him in to an open field and let him make his own lanes and go one on one?

What about FJ being in the backfield? Do you want FJ going around the end or making his lanes up the middle?

If we had Marshawn Lynch then I would be good with sending him right in to a traffic accident because like a Brinks truck he will move what is in his way.

Do you want to run CJ Spiller in to traffic? Or do you want to turn him in to an open field and let him make his own lanes and go one on one?

What about FJ being in the backfield? Do you want FJ going around the end or making his lanes up the middle?

If we had Marshawn Lynch then I would be good with sending him right in to a traffic accident because like a Brinks truck he will move what is in his way.

I don't really think you see my point; first they will run through and by them (is that hard to understand?) wedges create running lanes. Down-field blockers create lanes...... Chan used it this way in his bubble screens. FJ and CJ have done it before. This years team has different personnel and they are faster, at that. I think they will/can do what I said, most teams have some plays like that. I was simply stating that it is advantageous. How is having a bunch, different than running/passing behind the Oline (who are slower and get in the way more by your logic)?

Lots of good points here. Love seeing the passion and opinions. The reason I'm not a fan of the bunch is simple. Spacing. I believe this to be one of the most important parts of a successful offense. With guys like SJ13 and CJ, the need room to work. Bunching them up, and "allowing them room to release" isn't going to be a game changing scheme. I argue that it instead does clogs the field. These players are already professionals at making one man miss. I love watching Stevie come off the ball. Now why would we bundle these guys together and let a zone pick them apart as they release?

Many reasons for both opinions. There is no one answer. As many people have stated, it comes down to execution and success. Personally, I think our players belong in space. Open field, one on one. If we think our players are better than theres, line them up and beat them. We do not need the rubs, trickery or gimmicks that a bunch brings. Could it be a package for a few plays a game? Absolutely. However, I think making this a staple in this offense with these many elusive players would be a disservice to their skill set.