Why Hasn't the Team Used its Cap Space to Extend Players?

I have to respectfully disagree. he paid Knox, but then how many coaches with proven track recordes were hired after Knox? Absolutely none. It's a known fact, as far as I've read over the years, that Ralph did not pay head coaches top dollar, Marv Levy came cheap because his track record was poor. How can you classify Levy as having a proven track record before coming to Buffalo? The coaches that were not yes men all were let go. Seriously, look at the hires from Chck Knox on. All yes men. None with the strong persoanlity it takes to really take the reigns and lead a football team. I will say, Marv Levy turned out to be a good coach, but with the talent Polian built, what coach wouldn't have won with that talent? It can be argued in another forum for a different time that many other coaches would have won a superbowl with that talent. Levy was definately a yes man also, in my opinion. What Ralph wanted , Ralph got with Marv. Yes, it's Ralph's team and he has the right to do what he wants with it, but mostly winning hasn't been one of them.

In the hiring cycle which ended with the Bills hiring Chan Gailey, it appeared from rumors that Ralph was willing to open the vault.

Numerous high profile head coaching candidates would not interview for the Bills job.

That fact had nothing to do with money.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are confusing the issues. Not hiring "big name coaches" is not the same as not paying high salaries. It's easy to sit back and say he didn't hire any "big name coaches" because he didn't want to pay them, but it was always more of a comfort issue than a money issue with Mr. Wilson.

Of course Levy wasn't paid at the high end of the scale initially. He was after his first contract, during their SB years. That's what I meant by "glory years."

Stupid, stubborn, clueless, etc, yes. Ralph Wilson has been all of these when it comes to hiring the people to run his organization. But he's been willing to pay for proven results. Both players and coaches.

I don't think I'm confusing the issue. By not going out and paying a proven head coach since Knox was here kind of proves he's not willing to pay for one. I mean was it not very clear after 20 plus years that hiring these unproven coaches and re-treads that this strategy was not working.? Maybe he was hoping to catch lightening in a bottle again by stumbling on another Poian. I can't say for sure, but from what I remember, Levy was never one of the highest paid coaches, even after the success. If I'm wrong about that, I do apologise

In the hiring cycle which ended with the Bills hiring Chan Gailey, it appeared from rumors that Ralph was willing to open the vault.

Numerous high profile head coaching candidates would not interview for the Bills job.

That fact had nothing to do with money.

This is true, but many believed that Ralph would never have paid the kind of money that was rumored to be on the table and that it was all a smoke screan. We will never know for sure.

Edited by first_and_ten