Greatest Uniform in NFL History

Not sure that I understand. 'A beautiful river' is "une belle rivière" in French. In what way does that become Buffalo?

Well, I speak French so let me help you.

Both riviere and fleuve translate into "river" in English, but they mean different things in French.

Riviere is a water course that flows into another water course (sorta like Ellicott Creek flowing into the Niagara River).

Fleuve is a water course that flows into an ocean, or sea, or a very large lake or bay.

"Belle fleuve" morphed into "Buffalo".

It's like ocean/sea, or river/creek/branch. Technically, they mean different things, but they are used interchangeably nowadays.

FYI, the Niagara "River" is technically a "strait".

Not sure that I understand. 'A beautiful river' is "une belle rivière" in French. In what way does that become Buffalo?

Well, I speak French so let me help you.

Both riviere and fleuve translate into "river" in English, but they mean different things in French.

Riviere is a water course that flows into another water course (sorta like Ellicott Creek flowing into the Niagara River).

Fleuve is a water course that flows into an ocean, or sea, or a very large lake or bay.

"Belle fleuve" morphed into "Buffalo".

It's like ocean/sea, or river/creek/branch. Technically, they mean different things, but they are used interchangeably nowadays.

FYI, the Niagara "River" is technically a "strait".

I like your explanation except I thought Buffalo was a bastardization of "Beau Fleuve?"

No, it's a mascot logo and a listless representation. The city of Buffalo was not named after the north american bison.....rather the name was french for "beautiful river"..... so it's a mascot. If you are going to go informal like that then have some style about it. The grazer is fine for outside the unemployment office or city hall where peacefulness and stability are wanted, but not for the helmet of a football team.

Well that's odd...I thought it was French for "Moulds sucks."