What do former Olympic sites look like today?

Just Jack

These guys are getting pictures...

The Olympic City project

The Olympic City is an ongoing photography project by Jon Pack and Gary Hustwit that looks at the legacy of the Olympic Games in former host cities around the world. Hosting the Olympics has become a way for a city to show itself off on more

The Olympic City is an ongoing photography project by Jon Pack and Gary Hustwit that looks at the legacy of the Olympic Games in former host cities around the world. Hosting the Olympics has become a way for a city to show itself off on an international stage and generate tourism dollars, and cities spend millions or billions for the privilege. But after the events are over, the medals have been handed out, and the torch is extinguished, what’s next? What happens to a city after the Olympics are gone?

Slideshow - http://news.yahoo.com/photos/the-olympic-city-project-slideshow/

Their site - http://olympiccityproject.com/

I've been to Sydney, LA, Salt Lake and Lillihammer post-Olympics. (I mean "recent" post-Olympics. Melbourne 1956 and Mexico City 1968 don't count). They've just grown bigger.

I lived in Salt Lake during the build-up to the 2002 games. I remember hearing the announcement on a radio at work in 1995. Everyone cheered.

About 5 minutes later the whole valley became a construction site. As a Salt Lake taxpayer at the time, allow me to extend ALL of you on the board a belated "Thank You" for the tax money you shipped out there. Thanks for the new freeways, the new light rail line, the new airport terminal, the new 5-star hotel. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And that's coming from someone on the receiving end. Having now been down that road, I don't EVER want ANY city in the U.S.A. EVER getting an Olympic venue AGAIN.

EVER. We can NOT afford this crap.

Sydney Olympics cost the tax payer a tonne for a long time.

The overwhelming thing was that for 2 weeks, people didn't behave like jerks, or s it seemed. The stadiums get well used though.