(OT) I hope I'm not the onley one that's missing

envirojeff

The players association will relent, there will be a salary cap and the game will come back strong and the NHL will get the big tv money in the coming years and the players will get their 2/3 cut of that dough.

201001[/snapback]

I'm not nearly as optimistic as you are about the NHL's future.

What I see happening is neither the owners nor players budging enough, the strike continuing for 2 more years, and the NHL splintering into two smaller leagues thereafter - one with a hard salary cap and one with more or less the current NHL system. The small market teams (Sabres included) and Canadian teams will either join the new league with a salary cap or fold altogether.

However this strike plays out, no longer will the NHL be considered part of the "big 4" pro sports leagues - the NFL, NBA, and MLB being the other 3.

The owners will fold, they are already starting to bicker, they as group have never stuck together because they have contrary to public posture never been together. Bettemen will be sent packing like the weasel he is, hockey will need a face that fans like and respect to be commissioner and that man will be Wayne Gretzky. The new agreement will not have a cap , but will be a re-working of the just recent 24 % give back by players with some major tweeking of the arbitration process . With Gretzky as commissioner league will be run by people who care about game, and it will finally start to make some progress in U.S markets, but with a leadership that still has respect for the markets that have been hockey’s traditions… The league has been ran by folks for far to long who’s idea of revenue is to add another franchise and pocket their cut of the franchise fee.

The owners will fold, they are already starting to bicker, they as group have never stuck together because they have contrary to public posture never been together. Bettemen will be sent packing like the weasel he is, hockey will need a face that fans like and respect to be commissioner and that man will be Wayne Gretzky.  The new agreement will not have a cap , but will be a re-working of the just recent 24 % give back by players with some major tweeking of the arbitration process . With Gretzky as commissioner  league will be run by people who care about game, and it will finally start to make some progress in U.S markets, but with a leadership that still has respect for the markets that have been hockey’s traditions… The league has been ran by folks for far to long who’s idea of revenue is to add another franchise and pocket their cut of the franchise fee.

201044[/snapback]

As opposed to the bigger named player agents who are telling Goodenow to go :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: himself and the agents are looking to circumvent the NHLPA?

Where did you get your information from, Fantasyland?

:D

As opposed to the bigger named player agents who are telling Goodenow to go  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: himself and the agents are looking to circumvent the NHLPA?

Where did you get your information from, Fantasyland?

:D

201055[/snapback]

I will not argue with you, just cary right on, continue the bashing I have nothing more to say.....

(you might be very surprised where i get my information)

The owners will fold, they are already starting to bicker, they as group have never stuck together because they have contrary to public posture never been together. Bettemen will be sent packing like the weasel he is, hockey will need a face that fans like and respect to be commissioner and that man will be Wayne Gretzky.  The new agreement will not have a cap , but will be a re-working of the just recent 24 % give back by players with some major tweeking of the arbitration process . With Gretzky as commissioner   league will be run by people who care about game, and it will finally start to make some progress in U.S markets, but with a leadership that still has respect for the markets that have been hockey’s traditions… The league has been ran by folks for far to long who’s idea of revenue is to add another franchise and pocket their cut of the franchise fee.

201044[/snapback]

If your sources are credible, then we can kiss our Sabres goodbye.

If the NHL does ever come back and there is no hard salary cap, the Sabres and 6 or 7 other teams will be gone anyways. In the USA, other than in cities with NHL teams, the NHL was already 5th behind NFL, MLB, NBA and NASCAR. The NHL players are just dumb. They are throwing away their careers and have nothing to gain. Play for $2 million instead of $4 million or don't play at all and make nothing. Seems like an easy choice to me. The longer the lockout lasts the more the players lose. I'd almost rather have an AHL team in Buffalo if there is no NHL or a NHL w/o a salary cap. The games are just as good and they are way more affordable. I do miss watching the Sabres since I do not watch any basketball whatsoever. Tonight I watched a documentary on the Sundance Channel about "pro" skateboarders in the 80's and early 90's and some tool named Gator that became semi-famous, went crazy after skateboarding declined in popularity because it went corporate and he lost his career, became a born-again christian and then sexually assaulted and murdered the best friend of his ex-girlfriend. It was just as interesting as a hockey game I suppose.

The players association will relent, there will be a salary cap and the game will come back strong and the NHL will get the big tv money in the coming years and the players will get their 2/3 cut of that dough.

201001[/snapback]

I agree with the salary cap concession but big TV revenue ? The ratings exist in Canada but are invisable in the U.S. Since I was a kid in the 1960's, NBC,CBS and ABC have all given the NHL a good shot and have been burned by low ratings, no matter what time they tried broadcasting games . ESPN was recently receiving ratings less than 1 % ( each point = 800k homes, supposedly ). In short, the United States doesn't care about watching hockey. Hell, fake wrestling on Monday receives a 4 in the ratings.

So how can the NHL justify a salary above 2 Mil a year ? They can't. Any wonder why the lower bowl Sabres tickets are $75 a game ? Who the hell would pay that for a Tuesday night game, with the players not even hustling most nights ? The season is too long and many players pace themselves, saving energy for the playoffs. I've gone during mid-week and witness only 40-50% of the seats being used. Terrible.

I hope the NHL starts from scratch. Shorter seasons. Lower salaries. More affordable ( realistic ) ticket prices. They have waaaay too high an opinion of themselves and live with a fantasy notion that they are a major sport. They're not and the TV ratings in the States prove it .

I have my son's hockey team to watch. They've only lost one game heading into the play-offs, and some of his games have been more exciting than the NHL. See, these guys play because they like it, not because they want another Ferrari.

Honestly, is there some rule against the owners paying Junior hockey guys $100k a year to play NHL hockey?

I know, it's not the same, but it's better than nothing, and like I always say, I root for laundry, not players.

Let get some bodies on the ICE, and stop allowing the NBA to fill up Sportscenter.

200811[/snapback]

You'll get your wish next September.

i miss watching the illegal hits on the news. and the lawyers arguing over charges. and players complaining about how little they make when there sport is loosing money.

there has to be some serious changed in hockey for it to come back.

i dont miss it.

i wish baseball and b-ball would do the same thing...

200812[/snapback]

Absolutely Agree! The MLB and NBA should follow the lead of the NHL and get the "puck" out of here.

I would much rather watch Cricket, Badminton, paint drying, or even the A&E channel before I would watch the other three "sports". Heck, I bet the PGA, LPGA, or NASCAR put on better sports events to watch.

In Buffalo, perhaps.  Here in Minnesota, every game is sold out every night...

CW

201200[/snapback]

I believe it. But that doesn't change the lack of TV ratings and revenue. I'm sure the Rangers, Red Wings and a few other teams are sold out every night also.

Look how well the League is doing, as a whole.

I believe it. But that doesn't change the lack of TV ratings and revenue. I'm sure the Rangers, Red Wings and a few other teams are sold out every night also.

Look how well the League is doing, as a whole.

201242[/snapback]

Most of it has to do with the production of the game and the way its played today. They've made the regular season virtually unwatchable (variety of reasons) so by the time the playoffs come around, the casual fan doesn't care.

They're so concerned about revenue streams that they've lost sight of the things that make the game great.