Podcasts - Who Loves 'Em?

ajzepp

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paid version is worth it, btw.

I'm glad you mentioned that...looks like you get a seven day free trial, and then the premium features become disabled. Does the paid version have more content, or mostly convenience features?

This works pretty much as well or better than the iTunes app...I dig it!

I'm glad you mentioned that...looks like you get a seven day free trial, and then the premium features become disabled. Does the paid version have more content, or mostly convenience features?

This works pretty much as well or better than the iTunes app...I dig it!

It's the convenience thing of knowing the new content is there every morning.

Just to add some of the music related ones - mostly for new music discovery

NPR - All Songs Considered

Sound Opinions

KEXP - Music That Matters

Edited by GG

It's the convenience thing of knowing the new content is there every morning.

Just to add some of the music related ones - mostly for new music discovery

NPR - All Songs Considered

Sound Opinions

KEXP - Music That Matters

Oh, so without the upgraded version you have to add the episodes manually or something?

Oh, so without the upgraded version you have to add the episodes manually or something?

Basically. With the paid version, you basically set BeyondPod on autopilot and it updates and downloads feeds automatically, along with giving you more personalization features with the widget (don't know if you have the same Android functionality on Kindle as i do on my phone).

But for me, the simple fact that all updates episodes are automatically downloaded by the time I head out to work was worth every penny. If I only subscribed to one or two podcasts, then it could be manageable. But once that number goes up (and it will) you need to automate it.

BBB and Ryan: You guys called it with Norm and Bill Burr...those were both GREAT! I can't believe how quick witted Norm is...he definitely has my sense of humor. He's already had me laughing aloud a few times and I've only listened to the Larry King one and the Kevin Nealon one. Bill Burr is someone I had heard OF, but never seen his show or heard his cast...I've only listened to last week's Monday Morning podcast, but it was a winner for sure.

Really lovin' this...wish there was more time in the day to listen, though! I'm just glad that if I don't catch John Murphy on the way home from work, I can get it knocked out in about 75 min on the podcast since it's stripped down to take out the commercials. Who needs tv when you have this great entertainment!

Can you talk a bit about each one and why you like it? I have so many on my list right now I'd love to pick your brain a bit more to get a feel for what each is all about

BBB and Ryan: You guys called it with Norm and Bill Burr...those were both GREAT! I can't believe how quick witted Norm is...he definitely has my sense of humor. He's already had me laughing aloud a few times and I've only listened to the Larry King one and the Kevin Nealon one. Bill Burr is someone I had heard OF, but never seen his show or heard his cast...I've only listened to last week's Monday Morning podcast, but it was a winner for sure.

Really lovin' this...wish there was more time in the day to listen, though! I'm just glad that if I don't catch John Murphy on the way home from work, I can get it knocked out in about 75 min on the podcast since it's stripped down to take out the commercials. Who needs tv when you have this great entertainment!

Can you talk a bit about each one and why you like it? I have so many on my list right now I'd love to pick your brain a bit more to get a feel for what each is all about

This American life has original stories. The premise is not that everyone has a story to say, but that you may have missed something, whether it's gangs in Chicago, relationship stories, it often gets me to laugh as well. Is generally broken into a few parts. Not always great, but 80 percent of the time.

Motley fool money, is partly informative and partly commedy. Lots of stupid guy banter, pretty fun and you keep inforMed on the market at large.

Frontline, this is the PBS show in audio. Maybe the best show on tv or podcast period. You will learn something

Tedtalks, focuses on a topic and you get expert opinion,research on it. Could be about broad topics on education, beauty. More philosophical than the other shows.

Ptannuzzo, thanks for sharing those...much appreciated!

For having been sick with a head cold and sinus infection this weekend, I had an absolute blast with my podcasts. I can't miss any work, so I wanted to rest as much as possible in order to get better before tomorrow, so having all these shows to listen to was just what the doctor ordered. I am loving this Steve Austin podcast...the guy has me cracking up, talking about how he gets the "screamin' sh*ts" when he's in mexico, to how he struggled early on in the wrestling biz, to talking about some of the films and other projects he's involved with these days. Aside from that I spent some time with the Nerdist, cause some of his guests are some of my favorite people. My only issue with that one is that Hardwick isn't as engaging as I figured he'd be. I find him a little on the boring side, and the degree to which I enjoy the show is largely dependent on who he has on. Slate's Spoiler Specials is another one I've been enjoying, where he reviews films with spoiler discussion, so the episodes are meant to be listened to after you've seen the movie. Dr Drew had a recent episode with Doug Benson on, which was really good, in addition to Benson's "Doug Loves Movies" podcast. Messed around a bit with Alex Jones, but that guy is just a bit too intense for me lol.

Anyway, I feel as if I was able to be entertained to a high degree while also getting plenty of rest trying to feel better...good times!!

Anyone interested in science. Check out the Naked Scientists. It originates from Cambridge University and usually has some great content.

NPRs Wait Wait don't Tell me is entertaining.

Anyone interested in science. Check out the Naked Scientists. It originates from Cambridge University and usually has some great content.

NPRs Wait Wait don't Tell me is entertaining.

Very cool...it's really interesting how many educational institutions and health systems are putting out podcasts...just furthers my view that you can find pretty much anything you could possibly be interested in.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I'm to listening to that because I hate wrestling so much.

Honestly he doesn't even talk about wrestling half the time...today is a great one to listen to for that very reason :) He talks about the renovations he wants to make to his shower after nearly slipping and falling the other day, and then he laments his trip to the grocery store to hunt down the correct tampons for Ms Stone Cold...it's a bit cliche, but he just delivers the story in a way that made me have to stop listening at work out of fear I was going to snort too loud.

http://www.podcastone.com/f/Steve-Austin-Show

Edited by ajzepp

Okay, the first podcast that is now officially on my "must listen!" list is the Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast...Thanks Ryan, I think you were the first to mention this one. It was only this week that I really gave him a fair chance and this guy is unbelievably hilarious. It feels like you're sitting next to a guy in a bar just shooting the breeze for an hour or so and laughing ur arse off in the process. This guy rocks!

Okay, the first podcast that is now officially on my "must listen!" list is the Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast...Thanks Ryan, I think you were the first to mention this one. It was only this week that I really gave him a fair chance and this guy is unbelievably hilarious. It feels like you're sitting next to a guy in a bar just shooting the breeze for an hour or so and laughing ur arse off in the process. This guy rocks!

Definetly....it's my favorite as well...burrs the best comic out there IMO...the e-mails about relationship and sex advice are always hilarious....

Im pretty much working 6 days a week with a podcast playing all day everyday...,,others I have on my list Petros and Money(fox sports), Danlebatard and stugotz, Ari Shaffirs skeptic tank (comedian), in conversation w Jeff garlin,

My girl loves all the NPR stuff...it's hit or miss for me though.

Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe hosted by Clayton Morris of Fox & Friends Weekend and wrestler Mike Quackenbush. Very pop culture

Thanks, just read the description on the website...looks like a blast! Will give a listen tonight

Definetly....it's my favorite as well...burrs the best comic out there IMO...the e-mails about relationship and sex advice are always hilarious....

Im pretty much working 6 days a week with a podcast playing all day everyday...,,others I have on my list Petros and Money(fox sports), Danlebatard and stugotz, Ari Shaffirs skeptic tank (comedian), in conversation w Jeff garlin,

My girl loves all the NPR stuff...it's hit or miss for me though.

The guy just seems like he sits down and starts talking, you know? It doesn't sound rehearsed or prepped or anything...that's what I love about it. He's just naturally funny, and I have a ton of respect for people who can pull that off. His last one pretty much had me pissing my pants...he was talking about his theory of how rednecks will be the ones who survive the collapse of the dollar and go on to create a new society, while people like him who can barely grocery shop successfully will be "herded into some FEMA shelter" never to be heard from again. He's a bit Boston-heavy in terms of his favorite sports teams, but he still talks about it in a way that is entertaining. He comes off as a HUGELY passionate sports fan in general, though, which is ironic given that the opposite seems true about a guy like Colin Cowherd. This is the first podcast where, when it's over, I want to just keep listening. Usually when another cast ends, Im ready to move on to something else and mix it up....but Burr is someone I could probably listen to all day.

That Grizzly Bear sounded really interesting to me, too.........Cool topics. But, 20 minutes in and I'm bored out of my mind. I'm going to pick up later, but I hope it gets better.

Oddly, somebody else who is in radio told me about Bill Burr. He thinks his podcast is great...........I've tried it several times, and he just seems to ramble. Some of it's good, but I guess not good enough that I went back to it after those times.

I'm telling you, Tony Kornheiser is the best - every segment is planned out. It's funny, has the best guests on radio. None of these even come close.

That Grizzly Bear sounded really interesting to me, too.........Cool topics. But, 20 minutes in and I'm bored out of my mind. I'm going to pick up later, but I hope it gets better.

Oddly, somebody else who is in radio told me about Bill Burr. He thinks his podcast is great...........I've tried it several times, and he just seems to ramble. Some of it's good, but I guess not good enough that I went back to it after those times.

I'm telling you, Tony Kornheiser is the best - every segment is planned out. It's funny, has the best guests on radio. None of these even come close.

Yeah, I just listened to about 20 min of a back episode of "Grizzly", but I was pretty bored, too. The topics on some of the other shows look interested, though, so I'm going to give it another shot.

I subscribed to Tony, just haven't gotten around to firing him up yet...Will get a chance later tonight and/or tomorrow. I'm really trying to find a nice collection of the casts that entertain me the most...so far the keepers for sure are Ross Tucker, Steve Austin, Bill Burr, and Doug Loves Movies. I'll prob end up with about 10 in rotation, and then will keep others of interested in subscription mode in case an interesting topic comes up. I tried listening to sports talk radio the other day when I was driving into work, and that lasted until the first commercial break...then I turned it off and fired up the iPhone...screw the radio! haha

As for Bill, his comedy just fits really well with my own sense of humor. It takes a LOT to get me to laugh out loud, and he's already done it a few times...there are comics that others love that don't really appeal to me, though, so I know what you mean. I still have never laughed once at Dane Cook, but the guy seems to just have a massive following. There are other examples, of course, but he's always the one that comes to mind.

Edited by ajzepp

I think I like Burr actually. I have to watch some of his standup. It does just seem to me that he fires up the mic on Monday morning and just meanders around.......But, when he's on subjects I want to hear about, he's been very good. And, yeah, Dane Cook is pretty horrible. Carolla was mocking him out the other day.

I have no idea if you'll like Tony, but for me, it's so crisp, and he's got 3 people with him at all times, so there's a lot of give and take. He's got a plan for every segment...............It's the smartest radio I've ever heard without being NPRish.

But, he'll be off almost all summer, so I'm glad I have episodes that I missed that I can go back to.

That screw the radio thing is exactly it for me! Commercials, dopey callers, forget it! Now I can listen to what I want when I can.

I think I like Burr actually. I have to watch some of his standup. It does just seem to me that he fires up the mic on Monday morning and just meanders around.......But, when he's on subjects I want to hear about, he's been very good. And, yeah, Dane Cook is pretty horrible. Carolla was mocking him out the other day.

I have no idea if you'll like Tony, but for me, it's so crisp, and he's got 3 people with him at all times, so there's a lot of give and take. He's got a plan for every segment...............It's the smartest radio I've ever heard without being NPRish.

But, he'll be off almost all summer, so I'm glad I have episodes that I missed that I can go back to.

That screw the radio thing is exactly it for me! Commercials, dopey callers, forget it! Now I can listen to what I want when I can.

Very cool, Im excited to spend more time with his cast then...will report back for sure.

And yep, it's amazing how I can't even really TOLERATE radio anymore lol. And honestly, that's one of the other things about Bill Burr's podcast that crack me up...when he does his ads half way through the cast, it's like part of the show. Steve Austin does the same thing...it's almost like they aren't ads at all, which is great. But yeah, no interest in the radio dial any longer, especially since pretty much all my radio favorites do podcasts these days...we should start a TBD podcast! :thumbsup:

Get it started!! Haaaa. Who knows where that one will take us

It's probably not hard to do, I would guess...that would be pretty funny lol

If any of you guys are looking for other good NFL podcasts, not only is the Ross Tucker one I mentioned earlier very good, but Mike Florio also has one that is excellent. I found it last night and he gets a lot done in 40 min. He had a great interview with Doug Whaley from last week.

The two that are most frustrating for me right now are the Nerdist and the Grizzly one....both have topics and/or guests that sound GREAT, but I tend to get bored when I actually listen to them...frustrating!

The two that are most frustrating for me right now are the Nerdist and the Grizzly one....both have topics and/or guests that sound GREAT, but I tend to get bored when I actually listen to them...frustrating!

After a bunch more listens to the Nerdist I get what you're saying. The guests they get lined up are all great but then the actual content is hit or miss. I don't think Hardwick is very good at interviewing at all so it will basically be up to the guest to supply all the entertainment without any prodding. It has been making me appreciate Howard Stern's interviewing skills a lot more. People can say what they want about his type of humor or about his show not being funny anymore but you can't take away his props for his skill to get people to talk about interesting and funny things on his show.

I listened to Ross Tucker a lot a couple football seasons ago. Something about it just got old for me though.

I have only checked out a couple of Stone Cold's but I thought both of them were pretty funny. Just a redneck guy BS'ing about his life and things that tick him off.

After a bunch more listens to the Nerdist I get what you're saying. The guests they get lined up are all great but then the actual content is hit or miss. I don't think Hardwick is very good at interviewing at all so it will basically be up to the guest to supply all the entertainment without any prodding. It has been making me appreciate Howard Stern's interviewing skills a lot more. People can say what they want about his type of humor or about his show not being funny anymore but you can't take away his props for his skill to get people to talk about interesting and funny things on his show.

I listened to Ross Tucker a lot a couple football seasons ago. Something about it just got old for me though.

I have only checked out a couple of Stone Cold's but I thought both of them were pretty funny. Just a redneck guy BS'ing about his life and things that tick him off.

I'm glad it's not just me who is struggling with the Nerdist...I look over the guest list from the past year, and it's just incredible the number of people that appeal to me...but I agree, hardwick just struggles to keep it engaging.

Stone Cold has me cracking up...I love when he has a guest on, cause you can hear him trying to be professional and develop his interviewing skills. I have always enjoyed stories about the business and psychology of wrestling, even though I dont pay attention to the matches much anymore. The "behind the scenes" stuff is pretty fascinating, though. The dude is just real, and the way you described his show is spot on. His podcast has been a big surprise for me...it's definitely one I listen to often.

Ross Tucker is good about hitting the news of the day and he keeps it short, usually to 30 min or just under. I don't feel like he's trying to force a lot of "filler" in there, which is partly why I enjoy it. Check out the Florio one if you get a chance...I've only listened to two of his so far, but he seems to do a good job of getting a lot done in a short time, as well.

And heck yeah, even though I've never been a diehard Howard guy, I have always enjoyed the way he keeps things fresh and entertaining. I was looking for a Stern podcast, but I guess he doesnt have one....maybe because he's under contract with XM or Sirius or whatever?

I have been planning on checking out Florio, I'll download a couple of them and put them into my rotation.

I like the WWF history stuff with Stone Cold too, the Shawn Michaels interview was good.

I don't think Howard has any podcast but if you were just looking for some of his celebrity interviews a lot of them end up on youtube, especially the recent stuff. I know he is constantly fighting to have them taken down but just as fast as some go down new ones are always popping up.

Not looking to turn the thread into a piracy debate, plenty of those out there already, just an FYI. :thumbsup:

Ross Tucker is good about hitting the news of the day and he keeps it short, usually to 30 min or just under.

Ross was quite critical of Buffalo's T.Jackson release on his June 12th podcast.. Noting that his half a million dollar signing bonus was unnecessary, the type of transaction losing teams tend to do. I tend to agree. As for favorite Pod's mine are,

Dana Gould Hour

John Murphy Show

Monday Morning w/ Bill Burr

Dan Patrick show

This week w/ Larry Miller

Adam Carolla

Someone here turned me on to Carolla way back in Feb '09, I've been a daily listener since.

I've since listened to his show with Dr. Drew.

I also catch Dameshek's Football Program.

I'll listen to Coach Sal's Bills Podcast from time to time (you may have heard one Gib Tac representing the Bills backers of Chicago in his post-draft show)

And, of course, I have my own Bills podcast: Bills and Beers. We've been going strong since 2009. (billsandbeers.com)

One that I used to listen to regularly was Dan Carlin's Common Sense. It's a non-partisan (neither Dem nor Rep) political show. It's a fresh thinking show, but his less frequent one, Hardcore History, is GREAT.

And, of course, I have my own Bills podcast: Bills and Beers. We've been going strong since 2009. (billsandbeers.com)

You have any plans to increase the frequency of your casting? Seems like you've only had one this whole year? I thought it was a dead cast, so I didn't add it.

Ross was quite critical of Buffalo's T.Jackson release on his June 12th podcast.. Noting that his half a million dollar signing bonus was unnecessary, the type of transaction losing teams tend to do. I tend to agree. As for favorite Pod's mine are,

Dana Gould Hour

John Murphy Show

Monday Morning w/ Bill Burr

Dan Patrick show

This week w/ Larry Miller

Adam Carolla

I should probably listen to Dana Gould. Love when he's on Carolla's show!.................Any idea why Larry Miller hasn't been on Ace's show? I figured that once he was back to health and doing his own podcast again, he'd be back for more roadtrips or whatever that segment was called. We're going to Florida!

He's such a good guy.

Man, Im still SO damn frustrated with the Nerdist and that Grizzly one...I keep getting hooked into the topic/guest list, only to find my mind wandering ten minutes in...I think I may need to unsub from both just to avoid the let down lol

I've been enjoying Bill Burr's cast so much I checked www.instantwatcher.com to see if any of his stand up videos were on Netflix...I found a couple of them so I fired one up yesterday. I laughed SO hard that my stomach has been sore all day today. This guy is able to talk about pretty much any topic without crossing the line where it gets uncomfortable. He incorporates racial differences into his routine in a way that just has me rollin'...I'm really becoming a huge fan.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys! I check out every single cast that is mentioned here...thanks so much for all the feedback!

You have any plans to increase the frequency of your casting? Seems like you've only had one this whole year? I thought it was a dead cast, so I didn't add it.

We don't do it regularly during the offseason. We'll go back to weeklies once the pre season wraps.

We don't do it regularly during the offseason. We'll go back to weeklies once the pre season wraps.

Ah okay...well I listened to your pre-draft cast and you guys did a pretty good job. I like casts that exhibit candor, and yours fit the bill. Would have been cool if you had Tim Graham call into the show, though...a little back and forth would be great!

Thanks Ryan and Gavin...added those to my list to check out.

I don't know about you guys, but Im finding that some of the non-sports casts that still talk about sports are sometimes more entertaining that the sports casts....if that makes any sense

The first and only podcast I've ever listened to is:

http://www.widerightradio.com/

Oh it's gold!! Bennett on the West Coast and Riley on the East Coast. Two brothers talkin' Bills football. They are hysterical. The only problem is that their podcasts are erratic. It can be months before they post a new one.

Here's another link:

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=36870&allEpisodes=

They are a 'must listen' for Bills fans!! Check 'em out.........

Ah okay...well I listened to your pre-draft cast and you guys did a pretty good job. I like casts that exhibit candor, and yours fit the bill. Would have been cool if you had Tim Graham call into the show, though...a little back and forth would be great!

Thanks Ryan and Gavin...added those to my list to check out.

I don't know about you guys, but Im finding that some of the non-sports casts that still talk about sports are sometimes more entertaining that the sports casts....if that makes any sense

Predraft show was okay. Thanks for listening, tell a friend and tune in during the regular season! :thumbsup: