Podcasts - Who Loves 'Em?

ajzepp

DEFINITELY a game changer...that's a good term to use. Often times once I'm wound down and ready to chill out before bed, I dont really have the time to invest in a movie and it's hard to find anything of interest on tv. Now it doesn't even matter, cause I can turn out the lights, put on my favorite headphones (Beyerdynamic T1s), and enjoy a podcast before I doze off.

Truly, I can't understand why these aren't more popular...so much to enjoy!! Also, I admit I'm a little biased toward Apple since I've had such great results with their products, but the podcast channel on AppleTV and the app on my iPhone just make it super easy to find stuff.

I have tried to tell my friends to listen to the ones I know they would love and they never do. They've said they just want to turn it on with no work..........It's not like it's that hard, but it does take that one step that I took in 2009 and you are now that Oh, this is easy and great!

Carolla and Simmons were talking about that and Simmons said when it becomes something that you just hit on your car radio, that's when they will really become popular.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried to tell my friends to listen to the ones I know they would love and they never do. They've said they just want to turn it on with no work..........It's not like it's that hard, but it does take that one step that I took in 2009 and you are now that Oh, this is easy and great!

Carolla and Simmons were talking about that and Simmons said when it becomes something that you just hit on your car radio, that's when they will really become popular.

I can probably see some of my friends saying that exact same thing...and Simmons makes a great point that I completely agree with. I have an older car that I'm still running into the ground before I replace it, so I just click on John's show on my iphone as I'm driving home and I listen with my open backed headphones so I can still hear everything goign on around me. I can't speak for android, but once you have all your shows added to the apple app, like you said, it's super easy to listen to...doesn't take any work at all other than clicking on the episode you want to listen to. I really hope this format continues to grow in popularity, cause I can see myself enjoying these for a long time to come. Im noticing that a LOT of colleges and universities are usign podcasts, which is a great tool for them to use. I wish I had that when I was in school!

Edited by ajzepp

Yeah, I wish I could have been listening to Adam Carolla instead of those boring professors! :lol:

lol, I know that's right

I mainly check out Bill Burr's MMP.

I check out Rogan solely based on the guest because Rogan is nitwit and Redban is makes Rogan look like Michio Kaku. Basically I'm tuning in to hear Burr, Bourdain, Shane Smith, Les Stroud, and Patrice before he kicked the family sized bucket.

I mainly check out Bill Burr's MMP.

I check out Rogan solely based on the guest because Rogan is nitwit and Redban is makes Rogan look like Michio Kaku. Basically I'm tuning in to hear Burr, Bourdain, Shane Smith, Les Stroud, and Patrice before he kicked the family sized bucket.

I had never heard of Patrice O'Neal prior to his appearance at a roast a while back...then I heard his stand-up routine and felt he was one of the best comics I'd ever heard. Hate the fact that both he and Greg Giraldo passed...two of the best talents on the scene, IMO.

I was on Carolla from the beginning. I had been listening to his LA radio show on the net and when that was cancelled, he immediately started the podcast. With Alison Rosen taking over for Theresa Strasser, it's really like the old radio show. Bald Bryan's sound drops are money. He can get repetitive but his points are often valid. He needs to remember to let the guest talk.

Other comedy podcasts I like are Jay Mohr, Marc Maron & Greg Fitzsimmons.

You are dead on in your assessment. I liked T a lot and I think Alison is very quick witted............Bryan's drops are great - sometimes amazing the guests at how he did that. Isaac Hayes and Eliot Gould are probably the two best.

I wish Alison would steer Adam away from repeating the same things over and over. T was better at improv and at keeping the conversation moving along.

I was on Carolla from the beginning. I had been listening to his LA radio show on the net and when that was cancelled, he immediately started the podcast. With Alison Rosen taking over for Theresa Strasser, it's really like the old radio show. Bald Bryan's sound drops are money. He can get repetitive but his points are often valid. He needs to remember to let the guest talk.

Other comedy podcasts I like are Jay Mohr, Marc Maron & Greg Fitzsimmons.

How is the Marc Maron one? I have that one on my list but haven't listened yet. His called "WTF" or something like that, right?

I like to listen to them at work a lot and am always digging for new ones to try out so I will give some of these suggestions a go that I haven't already tried.

Recently I have discovered The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick. They mostly talk pop culture stuff leaning towards the more sci-fi or comic book type stuff. However they have had a long run and boast a solid history or a-list celebrity guests so if you check it out make sure to look at all the old ones going back a few years. Just to name a few that I have listened to recently... Mick Foley, Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, John Hamm, Tina Fey, Zach Galifinakis, Stan Lee, JJ Abrhams, Steve Carell.... and a whole lot more.

Some of these interviews were kind of older so the context when they talk about recent work is a little off, but still very enjoyable if you are into popular movies and tv shows.

I like to listen to them at work a lot and am always digging for new ones to try out so I will give some of these suggestions a go that I haven't already tried.

Recently I have discovered The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick. They mostly talk pop culture stuff leaning towards the more sci-fi or comic book type stuff. However they have had a long run and boast a solid history or a-list celebrity guests so if you check it out make sure to look at all the old ones going back a few years. Just to name a few that I have listened to recently... Mick Foley, Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, John Hamm, Tina Fey, Zach Galifinakis, Stan Lee, JJ Abrhams, Steve Carell.... and a whole lot more.

Some of these interviews were kind of older so the context when they talk about recent work is a little off, but still very enjoyable if you are into popular movies and tv shows.

That's another one that I saw listed as one of the most popular casts (per iTunes), but I wasn't sure what it was about. I like Hardwick on the Talking Dead, the show he hosts after the Walking Dead episodes each week. I'll definitely check that one out...sounds like it's something I'd enjoy.

Glad to know at least some other TBD'ers are listening to these things...I love that some of these guys even do casts from their apartments or houses lol...it must be a super inexpensive way to have a show.

How is the Marc Maron one? I have that one on my list but haven't listened yet. His called "WTF" or something like that, right?

I listened to it last week. It was a one on one interview with Alison Brie, who I think is super hot. So, it was interesting to find out that Mad Men was actually her big break and Community came after that.........And, that she walked around nude in college (which actually I read before, but it was good to hear her tell the stories)

I listened to it last week. It was a one on one interview with Alison Brie, who I think is super hot. So, it was interesting to find out that Mad Men was actually her big break and Community came after that.........And, that she walked around nude in college (which actually I read before, but it was good to hear her tell the stories)

lol, nice!

Adam Carolla

Adam And Dr Drew

Ace On The House (hilarious show with his childhood buddy Ray talking house repairs)

Android Central

Maximum PC No BS Podcast

ESPN Fantasy Focus (NFL. Pretty funny at times. Favorite football podcast)

CBS Fantasy Football Today

Dave Damashek Football Program(also funny)

Leo Laporte: The Tech Guy

The Anfield Wrap.(Liverpool soccer show. Kinda neat to listen to local Liverpool guys whine about their team. Hard to understand at times though. Real thick accents. Also they manage to work in some real good music from Liverpool bands.)

Also my favorite app for listening to podcasts is called "Pocket Casts" Really great UI and simple to use. Easy to sort video and audio casts. Very nice.

Edited by Dante

LOL, I bet the Liverpool one is interesting as hell...I never even thought about looking for a cast like that...great suggestion!

It's mostly good. Maron was pretty much a very mean guy when he was a young comic. He's a 12-stepper, so he been trying to apologize for being like that for years. The show is a lot of comics and it's usually pretty good. The best ones that come to mind are Russell, Steven Wright & Aubrey Plaza (she tells about having a stroke when she in college).

I like "Making It with Riki Lindhome" on the Nerdist network but I'm biased because she's from Portville.

It's mostly good. Maron was pretty much a very mean guy when he was a young comic. He's a 12-stepper, so he been trying to apologize for being like that for years. The show is a lot of comics and it's usually pretty good. The best ones that come to mind are Russell, Steven Wright & Aubrey Plaza (she tells about having a stroke when she in college).

I like "Making It with Riki Lindhome" on the Nerdist network but I'm biased because she's from Portville.

Very cool, thanks man...I love the art of stand-up, so will fire him up tomorrow on my day off.

On the drive home tonight I was listening to the Stone Cold Steve Austin podcast where he interviews Kevin Nash. I've always been a fan of wrestling, and these days I continue to watch mainly because I'm fascinated by the business and I love seeing how they get guys "over". This show was HILARIOUS! Steve is dropping f-bombs and swear words every other sentence, and listening to him read his advertisements is pretty funny as well. It's a pretty hardcore look into the wrestling business...no character crap or story lines. I love hearing about this stuff and I can see this one becoming a favorite of mine for sure. Anyone who has ever had interest in wrestling should give a listen!

Adam Carolla

Adam And Dr Drew

Ace On The House (hilarious show with his childhood buddy Ray talking house repairs)

Android Central

Maximum PC No BS Podcast

ESPN Fantasy Focus (NFL. Pretty funny at times. Favorite football podcast)

CBS Fantasy Football Today

Dave Damashek Football Program(also funny)

Leo Laporte: The Tech Guy

The Anfield Wrap.(Liverpool soccer show. Kinda neat to listen to local Liverpool guys whine about their team. Hard to understand at times though. Real thick accents. Also they manage to work in some real good music from Liverpool bands.)

Also my favorite app for listening to podcasts is called "Pocket Casts" Really great UI and simple to use. Easy to sort video and audio casts. Very nice.

How does that work? Are they downloaded or streaming?.............I used to like listening to them in itunes on my iphone and it was easy to figure out.........Then, I got a new phone and the apple guy downloaded the apple podcast app, and I don't like it as much. I can't figure out to download some podcasts on it.

How does that work? Are they downloaded or streaming?.............I used to like listening to them in itunes on my iphone and it was easy to figure out.........Then, I got a new phone and the apple guy downloaded the apple podcast app, and I don't like it as much. I can't figure out to download some podcasts on it.

I use my phone for podcasts. But you could use a tablet as well. Install the app and then you just use the search function to find what ones you want. You then can subscribe to them and they will be automatically be downloaded or listed for you to stream if you want. In the morning I stream with my phone and use a neat little blue tooth speaker I have to listen while I get ready.