What are you're expectations for this season?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are patient with EJ , and i hope they will be, Kolb will keep them competitive.

Its so wide open right now we can only guess. No firm footing to project the season yet.

But i do expect a darned interesting season and i hope for an upsurge in the last half of the season based on coaching getting comfortable.

Go Bills.

Edited by 3rdand12

Dick Jauron was simply a bad HC with bad coordinators....

I disagree. I think Bobby April (ST) and Perry Fewell (DC) were good coordinators. I think Dick Jauron was one coordinator away from having a good staff and retaining his job.

I would take Kolb/TJax/EJ over Fitz any day.

Kolb's started so few games in the NFL that it's hard to gauge his potential but he seems to have a wider range of skills than Fitz. In limited action on a bad team with a bad O Line last year his QB rating was higher than Fitz's.

TJax, despite injuries, played better in Seattle than he did in Minnesota so he might still be learning. As it is, his career QB efficiency rating is nominally better than Fitz's.

And we're all hoping that EJ has a higher ceiling than any of these guys. We'll find out.

I just don't understand why anyone would think our QB situation is worse this year than last. At least we finally have reason for hope.

With Fitz, we knew his limitations - and so did opposing defenses.

I think we have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball that has never-ever been used properly. Add to that mess the defensive talent was gathered around misguided attempts to align personnel to a moving target of defensive philosophies brought in by the bargain basement parade of lack-luster defensive coordinators that did not have a proven track record of building great defenses in the first place.

2 out of our last 3 D coordinators have coordinated SB winning Ds. Wannstedt with Dallas in 1992 (anyone remember that defense?) and Perry Fewell with the Giants after he was fired by Buffalo. True Dave's D sucked here and Perry's was not good either, but calling SB winning D coordinators lack-luster and bargain basement is not exactly right. I know, Perry hadn't done it before he got here, but Dave did.

Edited by reddogblitz

2 out of our last 3 D coordinators have coordinated SB winning Ds. Wannstedt with Dallas in 1992 (anyone remember that defense?) and Perry Fewell with the Giants after he was fired by Buffalo. True Dave's D sucked here and Perry's was not good either, but calling SB winning D coordinators lack-luster and bargain basement is not exactly right. I know, Perry hadn't done it before he got here, but Dave did.

Correct. In 1992. Besides a decent year in Miami, what has Wannstedt done in the 21 years since that yells out, "excellent coach"?

Wannestedt was one step away from getting kicked out of the college ranks, and Perry was a defensive backs coach for 10 years before finally landing his first DC job with the Bills - I stand by my bargain basement analogy.

I would also put an * next to Perry's success with the Giants and I will explain later. Simply put, I just have not been wowed by any of our defenses since Wade Phillips and Ted Cottrell were shown the door.

Wannestedt's success with Dallas was in 92, that was 21 years ago...before NFL free agency, zone blitzes, the Tampa-2, the pistol, the spread, the read option.... basically, his past SB success was so far in the past it was not even relevant and how much of that success had to do with Jimmy Johnson's influence. Some assistant coaches branch off successful HC coaching trees and adapt well to change and even leave their own mark having their own success by coming up with unique schemes to match up against their opponents or to overcome personnel limitations, some do not. After back to back 4-12 seasons with Chicago he was jettisoned and ran right back to Jimmy Johnson to enjoy some success in his shadow in Miami, but when Jimmy Johnson retired and named him as successor he could not build off of any momentum he created in Miami going to the playoffs the first 2 years, then missing the playoffs the 3rd year, and wheels completely coming off his 4th year where he got off to a 1-8 season before being shown the door.

I should have dug deeper on Wannestedt and listened to some of the naysayers on this board. It would have saved me a lot of disappointment.

I thought Fewell was a decent DC, but his stint with the Bills led to defenses that were ranked 10th, 18th, 14th, and 16th... overall - meh. Everyone knows what kind of coach Coughlin is and how well he targets and uses personnel he picks up on both sides of the ball. Coughlin led the expansion Jaguars to either a divisional or conference championship game 4 years in a row, and got to the big show and won it with the Giants without Fewell in 2007 after losing in a NFC wild card game both previous years. I think it is safe to say the Fewell has benefited from being in Coughlin's system not the other way around. Coughlin is comfortable with Fewell and they are likely on the same page as he served as his Defensive Backs coach when he was HC of the Jags.

Now the argument can and has been made that Pettine has only enjoyed success in the shadow of Rex Ryan - this is true. We have no idea if he will be the type of DC that can flourish on his own or flounder. What I do believe is that he is current in regards to how today's NFL offenses attack the field and how defenses can try to counter that, but as a game-day coach the jury is still out. I just have to believe he has to be better than the abysmal performance we saw from Wannestedt.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth