Geno Smith vs EJ Manuel

Everything is racist now with the PC crowd.

Having said that, it's kind of lame to call some kid any name, whether or not it has a race implication, unless you actually met the guy, especially based on 15 seconds of video clips from the draft, just because he's on TV.

Also having said that, EJ sounds and acts a ton smarter.

We'll see who shines and who cracks this fall.

Exactly, maybe we should ban "log cabin, fried chicken, watermelon", etc..it's only racist if

you intend it to be, can't really control how it is recieved, and therein lies the problem.

Geez, give me a break.

Edited by Tu-Toned

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, maybe we should ban "log cabin, fried chicken, watermelon", etc..it's only racist if

you intend it to be, can't really control how it is recieved, and therein lies the problem.

Geez, give me a break.

Context is key, definitely.

Me saying I'm going to go eat some watermelon is not racist.

If I made a snarky comment about a black person, and told them to eat watermelon, then yes, that'd come off as racist.

Here, we have a guy who, at worst, has been a little whiny and heart broken about his draft placement in the draft, getting called a thug. What other reason would he be called a thug? So it comes off as a bit racist.

If he had problems with drugs, violence and that general attitude? Then yes, thug away.

Context is key, definitely.

Me saying I'm going to go eat some watermelon is not racist.

If I made a snarky comment about a black person, and told them to eat watermelon, then yes, that'd come off as racist.

Here, we have a guy who, at worst, has been a little whiny and heart broken about his draft placement in the draft, getting called a thug. What other reason would he be called a thug? So it comes off as a bit racist.

If he had problems with drugs, violence and that general attitude? Then yes, thug away.

Well said.

If a white guy said/did everything that Geno has said/done, he'd be taking all sorts of crap, but I seriously doubt anyone would be calling him a "thug." It's not "PC" to point that out; it's logic.

Doesn't mean the OP is racist, but his comment definitely comes off that way, and you don't have to be hyper-sensitive to think so.

Well said.

If a white guy said/did everything that Geno has said/done, he'd be taking all sorts of crap, but I seriously doubt anyone would be calling him a "thug." It's not "PC" to point that out; it's logic.

Doesn't mean the OP is racist, but his comment definitely comes off that way, and you don't have to be hyper-sensitive to think so.

Also, I think it's important to differentiate between "hey, that thing you said was a little racist, fyi" and "wow, you're a full blown racist"; the first is most likely an honest mistake and happens because society has programmed many of us whites to think certain things are ok, and the second is more damning of one's intentions and personality. My original post was more of the first, and not of the second.

The OP's comments are not racist, context or not.

And what the hell is wrong with liking fried chicken or watermelon? I have both in the fridge. They're freaking delicious.

Racism is the belief your race is superior. To make a crack about watermelon, and race, is nothing more than stereotyping. It doesn't make you a raaccisst. This word literally has no meaning anymore.

To say someone came from the hood is no different than saying someone came from a trailer park. it's not nice. But it is what it is.