Rd 2, Pick #41: WR Robert Woods - USC

You forgot Andre Johnson who is big but not a speedster. And looking purely at production (and not putting opinion into it) Wayne, White and Welker were all top 10 in the league last year.

Didn't forget Andre Johnson, just don't have him near the top 10 anymore. He's still good, but I'd take any of the guys I named over him, and other than Welker, it would be a slam dunk every time. But his size/speed combination was pretty freakish when he was at his peak -- 6'3", 230 lbs, 4.41 40. I feel like he's lost a step or two since then.

My point being that there's more than one road to success and even without out-of-this-world measurables guys can be super productive. Top 10 productive.

Absolutely. It's less likely, but it definitely still happens. Cruz is a particularly great example, because he wasn't even drafted.

Now, I'm not predicting that for Woods but I will say our days of wishing the Bills had someone to take pressure off Stevie are over.

That would be excellent! I'll hold off till I see it on the field, but let's hope so. You really need 3 good receivers these days, and one or two can be a TE. Stevie's one. Given Chandler's situation, I don't think he can count more than a half. So we need at least 1.5 additional receiving threats at WR or TE. If Woods can step in and be one immediately, I'm confident that some combination of Goodwin, Graham, Rogers, Easley, Dickerson, and Gragg can fill the other 0.5 we need. I don't include Brad Smith because until I hear about him filling a major role, I expect him to be cut. If he wins a starting WR job, or if the new offense features a significant amount of Wildcat (or any subpackage that features Smith), or maybe even if he becomes the primary kick returner, he might stay. But $3.75 million is a lot to pay for a 4th wideout/special teams gunner. Especially when there are young options who need practice/playing time to develop.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this was posted, but from Jason Smith at nfl.com...

In Woods, Buffalo might have snagged the steal of the draft

The Buffalo Bills are going to wind up with a superstar receiver in second-round choice Robert Woods, who was considered a top-five pick before an ankle injury slowed him and allowed for the emergence of fellow USC receiver Marqise Lee last season. I've seen a lot of Woods, and he's got it all. He can dominate one-on-one, and he has the kind of toughness that reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson -- and maybe a little bit of Brandon Marshall. And while he's not a speed demon, Woods is fast enough to be a deep threat.

Plus, look at the situation in Buffalo. The Bills have a terrific running game that will take the pressure off whoever winds up playing quarterback. Stevie Johnson is going to play more slot receiver this season, which will open things up for Woods on the outside. True, he could wind up drawing the opponent's best defensive back, but that's not that big a deal for someone with is talent. He'll have instant chemistry with EJ Manuel (or Kevin Kolb), because he's a terrific route runner. He'll wind up being the offensive steal of the draft. In a few months, we'll all be wondering, "How the heck did this guy fall to 41st overall?"