Remembering the 2000 draft

pm73

Watching the NYJ/SD game. I was reminded of the 2000 NFL Draft. That was the year that the Bills took Erik Flowers with the 26th overall pick.

That year, Bill Parcell's and the Jets had FOUR 1st rounders. What a gold mine. It's one thing to have four 1st rounders going into the draft ....it's quite another to use those picks wisely. We drafted Flowers for christs sake.

here's what they did with those picks......

#12 - Shaun Ellis DE/Tennessee

#13 - John Abraham DE/So. Carolina

#18 - Chad Pennington QB/Marshall

#27 - Anthony Becht TE/West Virginia

looking back now that was an incredible set of picks. every one have been good if not great players for them. all are and have been starters for years.

What the hell did our team see in in erik "f*cking" flowers????!!!! <_<:unsure::lol:

Just to drive that spoon into your heart a little more, these guys were waiting patiently when Buffalo picked......

Becht

Rob Morris ILB Brigham Young

Keith Bullock OLB Syracuse

Darren Howard DE Kansas State

Mike Brown SS Nebraska

Ian Gold OLB Michigan

Jerry Porter WR West Virginia

Adrian Klemm OT Hawaii

Todd Wade OT Mississippi

Deon Grant FS Tennessee

To make matters worse, after Grant was taken by Carolina with #57, The Bills took "future phenom" Traveras Tillman S Georgia. (Car. traded one spot ahead of Buffalo to steal Grant away from us....great move on their part).

Still available at that point....

Brad Meester C No. Iowa

Bobby Williams OG Arkansas

Laveranues Coles WR Florida State

Darrell Jackson WR Florida

Ben Kelly CB Colorado

OK I'm stopping, this is too depressing. It gets worse after we took Corey Moore in the 3rd but if your as masochistic as I am you can do your own research.

2000 NFL Draft

The 2000 draft remains a primary reason this team has struggled to make the playoffs the last four seasons. I feel the single biggest error was selecting Erik Flowers instead of Darren Howard. As Erik Flowers has 5.0 career sacks and Howard has 41.0. I did a mock draft on the old D&C board and Howard was my pick at the time with some hesitation because of his work ethic. The truth is Flowers was deemed by most draftniks as a 3rd Round pick but because he was able to add some weight prior to the combine and keep his 4.66 speed that's why I think we ultimately took him instead of Howard even though by most he ranked lower.

The 2000 draft remains a primary reason this team has struggled to make the playoffs the last four seasons. I feel the single biggest error was selecting Erik Flowers instead of Darren Howard. As Erik Flowers has 5.0 career sacks and Howard has 41.0. I did a mock draft on the old D&C board and Howard was my pick at the time with some hesitation because of his work ethic. The truth is Flowers was deemed by most draftniks as a 3rd Round pick but because he was able to add some weight prior to the combine and keep his 4.66 speed that's why I think we ultimately took him instead of Howard even though by most he ranked lower.

198974[/snapback]

good reason why the combine should NEVER be used to "discover" players. it should only be used as a tool to verify what you think you already know. if they don't think a guy is a 1st rounder before the combine (from watching him play actual games) then they shouldn't think he is after the combine, regardless of how many bench presses he can do or 40 times he can surpass!

good reason why the combine should NEVER be used to "discover" players.  it should only be used as a tool to verify what you think you already know.  if they don't think a guy is a 1st rounder before the combine (from watching him play actual games) then they shouldn't think he is after the combine, regardless of how many bench presses he can do or 40 times he can surpass!

199275[/snapback]

:)

I've always wondered if they do drug tests before/during/after the combine.

As I recall, we took Flowers because he had a strong combine. Boy, I can't stand it when the combine overshadows your efforts on the playing field!

BTW, Deon Grant has not been the stud that everyone thought he would be.

As a big Nebraska fan, I was hoping that Mike Brown was going to slide to us in the 2nd round. In college, the kid just had a knack for being in the right place at the right time...which has continued in his pro career. When the Bears selected him, I called up my friend who is a huge Bears fan and told him that the Bears landed one heck of a player!

I hate how the combine skews things on players. They play for years in college and then because they run fast, lift 225lbs a lot and jump high their status is elevated to 1st or 2nd round status. Where was all that talent when they were playing football?? You are so right--that draft killed the Bills. Nobody from that draft on the Bills 4 years later--not even some roll/ST guys. That was an awful draft. The mismanagement of the cap and the lousy draft put the Bills back 3 years.

That's Parcells for ya. His draft essentially built that Jets team. He has a great track record of finding great players. The Patriots have long had many Parcells draft picks. They still have about 8, and they're all starters. Not to mention charlie weiss, crennel, and a few other position coaches. All parcells guys.

Yes, the Bills 2000 draft was an abortion. But comparing it to a team with 4 1st rounders isn't quite fair either.

199433[/snapback]

you're right. i wasn't really trying to compare drafts though. i was thinking about how the jets took full advantage of their fortunate position and my thoughts kinda evolved into what the Bills did that year. just miserable no matter how ya slice it.

Watching the NYJ/SD game.  I was reminded of the 2000 NFL Draft.  That was the year that the Bills took Erik Flowers with the 26th overall pick.   

That year, Bill Parcell's and the Jets had FOUR 1st rounders.  What a gold mine.  It's one thing to have four 1st rounders going into the draft ....it's quite another to use those picks wisely.  We drafted Flowers for christs sake.

here's what they did with those picks......

#12 - Shaun Ellis DE/Tennessee

#13 - John Abraham DE/So. Carolina

#18 - Chad Pennington QB/Marshall

#27 - Anthony Becht TE/West Virginia

looking back now that was an incredible set of picks.  every one have been good if not great players for them.  all are and have been starters for years.

What the hell did our team see in in erik "f*cking" flowers????!!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just to drive that spoon into your heart a little more, these guys were waiting patiently when Buffalo picked......

Becht

Rob Morris ILB Brigham Young

Keith Bullock OLB Syracuse

Darren Howard DE Kansas State

Mike Brown SS Nebraska

Ian Gold OLB Michigan

Jerry Porter WR West Virginia

Adrian Klemm OT Hawaii

Todd Wade OT Mississippi

Deon Grant FS Tennessee

To make matters worse, after Grant was taken by Carolina with #57, The Bills took "future phenom" Traveras Tillman S Georgia.  (Car. traded one spot ahead of Buffalo to steal Grant away from us....great move on their part).

Still available at that point....

Brad Meester C No. Iowa

Bobby Williams OG Arkansas

Laveranues Coles WR Florida State

Darrell Jackson WR Florida

Ben Kelly CB Colorado

OK I'm stopping, this is too depressing.  It gets worse after we took Corey Moore in the 3rd but if your as masochistic as I am you can do your own research.

2000 NFL Draft

198872[/snapback]

You're right that draft was not a good one for our team. However, it's all history now, as our team is on the rebound and looks to have a very good 2005-2006 season.