(OT) Home Audio/Theater

ajzepp

Seems like every time the topic of good music comes up, I'm amazed at how many people chime in with their (excellent) recommendations. It left me wondering what exactly all you music fans are listening to your music on.......do any of you have some nice audio gear you've sunk your hard-earned dollars into? What about home theater? Movies are also a big topic on this board, obviously.......doesn't anyone have a home theater set-up that they're proud of?

If I recall, one of our regular posters knows a thing or two about home theater.  And Fabio.  :devil:

198588[/snapback]

I know how to sell them, but the hardware over the years has gotten so crazy in terms of model turnover that it's all but impossible to stay current unless you're somewhat obsessive.

However, because of my involvement in the industry, I've managed to barter for some decent equipment. I have a nice Denon receiver with 5.1 surround sound, but since the sound your receiver gives you is only as good as your speakers, I have a pair of B&W at left and right, and one in center, and Tannoys in the rear with a custom subwoofer from Hsu Electronics.

And I watch everything on a 60" Hitachi Rear Project LCD Hi-Def TV.

Seems like every time the topic of good music comes up, I'm amazed at how many people chime in with their (excellent) recommendations. It left me wondering what exactly all you music fans are listening to your music on.......do any of you have some nice audio gear you've sunk your hard-earned dollars into? What about home theater? Movies are also a big topic on this board, obviously.......doesn't anyone have a home theater set-up that they're proud of?

198575[/snapback]

Unless you're really obsessive about sound quality and some huge "dolby" factor - many home theatre set-ups are nice (and cheap). We just installed a Panasonic system - out of the box - from Best Buy for under $300. It was fortunate that the previous owner was an audiophile and had left all the installed wiring intact.

As far as big-screen systems - it depends on how much room you have. :devil:

I'd like a big, flat screen - but the physical options are limited.

Our cable company has a flat panel - LCD - "state of the art" unit in their showroom and with the HD - it is really, really impressive.

It is also (seemingly) the size of a Honda Civic

I have a pretty decent home theater set-up - nothing fantastic but I'm proud of it.

Denon 1802 5.1 receiver

5 Klipsch Heresy horn-loaded speakers

25-31pcs SVS subwoofer - powered by an old JVC amp

50 inch Hitachi RPTV

Toshiba DVD player - forgot the model #

old Sony CD player

The SVS subwoofer really packs a punch - fills the bottom nicely as the Klipsch Heresy really lacks under 50Hz.

I know how to sell them, but the hardware over the years has gotten so crazy in terms of model turnover that it's all but impossible to stay current unless you're somewhat obsessive.

However, because of my involvement in the industry, I've managed to barter for some decent equipment. I have a nice Denon receiver with 5.1 surround sound, but since the sound your receiver gives you is only as good as your speakers, I have a pair of B&W at left and right, and one in center, and Tannoys in the rear with a custom subwoofer from Hsu Electronics.

And I watch everything on a 60" Hitachi Rear Project LCD Hi-Def TV.

198609[/snapback]

Nice! I've only heard B&W speakers once, and that was a few years ago......but it was one of their better models and they sounded very good to my ears. The Tannoys are a favorite of the guy I deal with at my local stereo shop. Nice choice with the Hitachi, too......I picked up my first Hitachi wide screen (51") a couple years ago......great picture for a RPTV. I felt the Hitachi modles outclassed the other brands in their price range. HDTV signals and progressive scan DVDs look amazing!

65" Mitsubishi Diamond HDTV (don't know the model)

Yamaha receiver (don't know the model)

Klipsch speakers (don't know the model)

closing on 2,000 DVD titles (about 50 more to go)...

just in time for HD-DVD. <_<

Klipsch speakers  (don't know the model)

198639[/snapback]

Holy sh*t, bro......2k DVDs????? Damn, that is awesome! Don't worry about HD-DVD....the players are going to be backward compatible. Just upgrade the titles you hold nearest and dearest to your heart......

I've always wanted to hear Klipsh speakers......I've never heard the horn tweeter before.

I'm building a theater in my basement (well, not technically a theater, but close enough). Finished electrical and am now doing lowvoltage (cat5, RG6, speaker wire, etc) Havn't decided what componets I'll have down there, but I already have the projector (Panny L300u... *sigh* If I would've known my damn basement was going to leak two years ago, I could've gotten a better projector now. Anyone want to buy a pj with only about 150 hours on it so I can buy a new one? <_< ). Oh well, the L300u is an excellent pj, so I won't complain too much.

Havn't decided on speakers yet, although I'm leaning towrds the Klipsch RF7/RS7/RC7 setup. Might go lower though, due to the cost.

Havn't even touched the receivers and DVD players yet...

Rico, do you have DVD Profiler? EXCELLENT peice of software when you have a lot of DVDs (I've "only" got roughly 500). It makes a nice webpage ( http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Fezmid ) and the client software lets you search based on all sorts of things. It also keeps track of who you've lent your movies to, when the duedate is, etc. Pretty cool. It's free or, if you want no banners and you enjoy high-res scans of the DVD case, it's only like $30.

http://www.dvdprofiler.com

CW

55" Mitsubishi Silver Series HDTV (standard RP)

Denon AVR receiver (Dolby Pro-Logic - bought it when Digital Surround was just coming out, didn't want to spend the extra $100 for it...) Now that I see that 13:1 is on the horizon it might be time to upgrade... <_<

Boston Acoustics Front/Rear/Center, Polk sub.

Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player

RCA VCR

DIRECTIVO

Anyone ever heard Magnepans? I've known about them for a while, but actually pulled the trigger on them this year......they have a killer in-home trial on some of their smaller models. I'm going to upgrade to one of the larger models sometime this year.

I have mostly had Paradigm speakers. Most recently, the studio line......they are great speakers. Strong value for the money.

Rico, do you have DVD Profiler?  EXCELLENT peice of software when you have a lot of DVDs (I've "only" got roughly 500).   It makes a nice webpage ( http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Fezmid ) and the client software lets you search based on all sorts of things.  It also keeps track of who you've lent your movies to, when the duedate is, etc.  Pretty cool.  It's free or, if you want no banners and you enjoy high-res scans of the DVD case, it's only like $30.

http://www.dvdprofiler.com

CW

198646[/snapback]

Yes, I paid for the premium version some time ago, great program, it's my main data-base at home...

but I prefer DVD Aficionado for displaying my collection on-line

it doesn't have some titles in their data-base, but I think it looks cleaner.

Klipsch speakers  (don't know the model)

198639[/snapback]

Please tell me you don't rent your place of residence.

This is my setup:

HD Television: Toshiba 57HX81,

HD Satellite/OTA Set Top Box: Samsung TS-360

Sattelite PVR: RCA DWD-490RE (Ultimate TV)

DVD Player: Panasonic DVD-CP72S,

VCR: Toshiba W804

A/V Receiver: STR-DA4ES

Speakers: Energy Take 5 (+2 rear surrounds) with 12" and 8" Subwoofers

Power Conditioner: Monster Power HTS-2500

Universal Remote: OneforAll URC-8910

<_<

<_<  :unsure:  :lol:

My priorities aren't that messed up,

I've just got a bit of disposable income . :doh:

198785[/snapback]

I had to ask. I meet so many people who have a "collection" (I'm sorry, anything that is available at 20 stores in a 10 mile radius isn't collectible) but don't have a penny of money invested in anything (stocks, mutual funds, money markets, home ownership, etc). It's absolutely baffling.

(I'm sorry, anything that is available at 20 stores in a 10 mile radius isn't collectible)

198848[/snapback]

Depends how you define "collectible".

As an investment, certainly not...very few titles go OOP & increase in value;

almost all decrease.

As a hobby, I'd say it qualifies.

Depends how you define "collectible".

As an investment, certainly not...very few titles go OOP & increase in value;

almost all decrease.

As a hobby, I'd say it qualifies.

198867[/snapback]

Agreed. Plus, I know that I only buy them if I get a good deal -- like trhough Columbia House, for example, I get them for roughly $7/each. I figured I can spend $4-$5 renting it from Blockbuster and hoping I return it on time or, for $2-$3 more I can own it, watch it whenever I want, and lend it to friends/family if I want as well. Works for me.

But as I said, I'd never pay $15-$20 for a movie.

I did make some good money on Sixteen Candles. That one went out of print a few years back. I bought it for $7 from Best Buy and sold it on eBay for $60. I saw it at Target the other day for $10 again. <_<

CW

I have a 32" Sharp Vivitron unit with some nice oak trim, mfg date 1983

Panasonic dvd player

For music, i use my computer and have an old altec lansing pro logic speaker set. my new gem though is the plantronics dsp-500 headset. Those things are absolutely GREAT.