My theory on why no FA action by OBD

D521646

As many here, I've been racking what little is left of my brain cells to try and figure out ANY possible reason why we have been so quiet in FA, especially in a FA market that seems reasonably priced right now. The only thing I can come up with is that Nix and Co are leaving so many holes on our team come draft time that teams looking to move up could possibly target the Bills since we have so many directions we can go with our 8th and 41st pick. Think about it for a second; yes, tis true that we all know that Nix is going to select a QB in one of our first two picks, but perhaps outsiders give Buddy more credit. We could theoretically select a G, TE, WR, DE, DT almost anyone will be there for us at the 8th pick, so teams like San Fran or the Vikings if they really, really want someone could see the Bills as a willing trading partner. If we start filling holes in FA, it becomes more transparent to the rest of the league how the Bills will approach the draft, and what little leverage we have is really only left when you factor in that we need almost anyone at BPA at our 8th pick, and teams will start to get antsy as the pressure mounts.

ANyone else have any other ideas why we are so lethargic this FA when, lets face it, FA are signing deals that are not out of this world.

Tim-

Tim thats a nice post.

The seeming lethargy i have noticed really pisses some fans off.

One thing to consider is the way the Mario signing turned out.

I have my reasons as to why Bills signed him. To a team that really was not headed to any playoffs soon.

Lets not be fooled. all our enthusiasm was based on hope not facts.. I'm not criticising us.

Now move forward to the season and Marios first 4 games and the Screaming for blood from the front office. How we screwed up.

I mean it was vicious.

Very bad press for Brandon and Nix that still festers.

Yep i wouldnt ever take that seemingly "Lock " risk on an FA. again. Very painful for them and him actually i bet.

Bad mojo for the team.

Grab some guys for depth and stay the analytical course by building through the draft. after the draft fill the holes. Lather rinse repeat.

Two things though , find the way to sign the guys that have success with Bills on the second contract.

Thats big.

B) Gather more draft picks up asap.

D} Find the Right QB and do what ever needs to be done to get him here

Alot of good posts here.

I think the simple answer is Fa will restart for us after the draft.

Other teams drop some decent players at that point. in theory

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have ~$15M in cap room. That leaves about $10M for free agents, and the Bills have a lot of spots to fill. They're not in play for any big names, and they'll be signing more scrubs like Lawson eventually when the market sets itself.

do you really feel Lawson a scrub?

There are many here that don't really have a true perspective on the probability of success in the draft. Even first round picks are not sure things - true for even the best franchises. While still high picks, in the 2nd and 3rd rounds you are *hoping* to find good starters and reasonably happy to find good contributors even if they don't start. You also have to realize that not all drafts are equal. In some years there are more good players than other years.

The Patriots are one of the best run franchises and have had sustained excellent performance. Here is their draft from 2009 (a draft where they had FOUR 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks):

Rnd 2: Patrick Chung (S) - pretty solid player who has started 30 of the 50 games he has played in.

Rnd 2: Ron Brace (DT) - fringe player who has started 0 games the last two years with a combined 8 tackles those 2 years.

Rnd 2: Darius Butler (DB): Has started 18 games in 4 seasons. Has not played for the Pats since 2010

Rnd 2: Sebastian Vollmer (OT): decent to good starting OT. Has started most of the games he has played.

Rnd 3: Brandon Tate (WR): 37 catches total in 4 seasons. Has not played for the Pats since 2010

Rnd 3: Tyronne McKenzie (LB): 17 career tackles.

I don't hear anyone calling the Patriots a horrible drafting team. This is reality in the NFL draft, sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss - even the best.

For those who thought this way too long; it's hard to draft in the NFL.

But, I will concede this. If TSW came up with a consensus draft board (based on YouTube videos, going to games, reading blogs), we would do no worse than the average NFL GM.

Edited by kas23

He's closer to "scrub" territory than "good" territory.

Because of his stint with the Bengals ?

He has the size he has speed. he should have the smarts from the sounds of it.

How was he with the niners who drafted him ?

I may suggest this was an opportunistic pick up and could go either way. I also consider the Pettine defense of which we can only guess and approximate might be a very good use of Lawson. Certainly better than the 4-3 Bengals ?

As many here, I've been racking what little is left of my brain cells to try and figure out ANY possible reason why we have been so quiet in FA, especially in a FA market that seems reasonably priced right now. The only thing I can come up with is that Nix and Co are leaving so many holes on our team come draft time that teams looking to move up could possibly target the Bills since we have so many directions we can go with our 8th and 41st pick. Think about it for a second; yes, tis true that we all know that Nix is going to select a QB in one of our first two picks, but perhaps outsiders give Buddy more credit. We could theoretically select a G, TE, WR, DE, DT almost anyone will be there for us at the 8th pick, so teams like San Fran or the Vikings if they really, really want someone could see the Bills as a willing trading partner. If we start filling holes in FA, it becomes more transparent to the rest of the league how the Bills will approach the draft, and what little leverage we have is really only left when you factor in that we need almost anyone at BPA at our 8th pick, and teams will start to get antsy as the pressure mounts.

ANyone else have any other ideas why we are so lethargic this FA when, lets face it, FA are signing deals that are not out of this world.

Tim-

I was hoping this is a joke, then I saw you defend your "point."

tumblr_llytbj9w7A1qko5wdo1_400.jpg

Biddy already said some of the people we want have scheduled visits elsewhere and several of them signed during those visits. It is clear that yes, we are approaching FAs and that we have not been able to sign any of them, so we don't publicize to avoid the embarassment.

Edited by ndirish1978