OT - I have been HUMBLED.

stuckincincy

Despite my Luddite bent, I was forced into accepting digital cable under pain of accepting Basic Only analog cable by Time-Warner.

The new box has a DVR that records up to 35 hours, and added about 50 new channels (with a bunch of old B&W serials and so forth on them). It's costing me about 15 bucks/month for the digital and the DVR box over my analog set-up. It's quite nice, and my wife told me that I have made yet another small step outside of the 19th century. :lol:

For all of you who I previously chided - you were right and I was wrong.

Since I had an open invitation to respond, I shall do so.

Digital TV with DVR is great and with my high speed internet connection life just got very good.

And remember, you can always get cable, Direct TV depends on line of sight and issues like that which means that not everyone who wants it can get it.

Sorry Fezmid..... :lol:

Since I had an open invitation to respond, I shall do so.

Digital TV with DVR is great and with my high speed internet connection life just got very good.

And remember, you can always get cable, Direct TV depends on line of sight and issues like that which means that not everyone who wants it can get it.

Sorry Fezmid..... :lol:

14872[/snapback]

Actually, more of the country can get DirecTV than cable... I read somewhere that only 70% of the country (or something like that) can get cable. Why? Because lots of people live in the boonies, and cable companies won't build the infrastructure there unless there's a certain number of people to make it profitable (which makes sense).

CW

If you think life is good now, you should try DirecTV with a TIVO.  TiVo blows away all other DVRs.  Not even close.  And only $5/month more (instead of $15).

CW

14859[/snapback]

The DVR was 5 bucks. The digital was 10. With about 140 choices - I''m satisfied (I've used the parental control function to let me skip about 30 of them, so far - 6 adult channels, 7 QVC-type things, MTV, and so forth).

I know what you say, Fez, but I watch 3 or so hours of tv in a day, NFL football notwithstanding, so I'm just pleased to have some alternatives to the fare I'm used to.

Actually, more of the country can get DirecTV than cable...  I read somewhere that only 70% of the country (or something like that) can get cable.  Why?  Because lots of people live in the boonies, and cable companies won't build the infrastructure there unless there's a certain number of people to make it profitable (which makes sense).

CW

14875[/snapback]

That's the issue my parents have. The cable run ends one mile from them. If enough of the neighbors wanted to get cable, the cable company (TW) would extend the run. But not enough people are wanting it.

The DVR was 5 bucks. The digital was 10. With about 140 choices - I''m satisfied (I've used the parental control function to let me skip about 30 of them, so far - 6 adult channels, 7 QVC-type things, MTV, and so forth).

I know what you say, Fez, but I watch 3 or so hours of tv in a day, NFL football notwithstanding, so I'm just pleased to have some alternatives to the fare I'm used to.

14889[/snapback]

But you can't see EVERY Bills game! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fez - I see a DirecTV/Tivo customer in our not too distant future.....

You should see what HDTV and and a DVR can do.  Breathtaking.!  Hell even T-Bone would look good on HDTV...well, maybe not.

Fez I still can't believe you haven't made the jump. :blink:

14947[/snapback]

I *want* to make the jump! I just need to wait for the basement to be finished... And since the leaking problem has been fixed (hoorah!), I can work on fixing it. Then I"ll get to watch HD on my 100" screen (thanks LA!). :P

CW

You should see what HDTV and and a DVR can do. Breathtaking.! Hell even T-Bone would look good on HDTV...well, maybe not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are just jealous of me sexy body......

If you think life is good now, you should try DirecTV with a TIVO.  TiVo blows away all other DVRs.  Not even close.  And only $5/month more (instead of $15).

CW

14859[/snapback]

Hey Fez, you probably know this, but if you have DirecTV's Platinum package, Tivo service is free. In fact, I learned this when I went to get another DSS w/Tivo for my bedroom, but here's the thing. The receiver in my entertainment center has Ultimate TV, not Tivo, but I keep it because the receiver has 5.1 digital surround, etc. and I paid a few hundred dollars for it some time ago. I was paying $10 a month for the Ultimate TV service even though Ultimate TV is out of business.

I called DirecTV, gave them some grief, and he's giving me a $20/month credit to my account for the next six months, making my Ultimate TV service free for the year.

You should see what HDTV and and a DVR can do.  Breathtaking.!  Hell even T-Bone would look good on HDTV...well, maybe not.

Fez I still can't believe you haven't made the jump. :blink:

14947[/snapback]

Hey Mike, how much did you pay for your HDTV/DVR?They're been running about $1,000 lately.

I got a DVR/HDTV Cable box from Adelphia a couple weeks ago. Since I had a HDTV box before, they gave it to me at no extra monthly charge. It's pretty cool.

I also picked up a Tivo at the same time so I can hook it up to Directv for the games... :blink:

Hey Mike, how much did you pay for your HDTV/DVR?They're been running about $1,000 lately.

15143[/snapback]

He still has cable :P

I'm getting one of the HD TiVo's, as soon as that basement is finished...

BTW, I knew about the platinum package including TiVo free -- but I figured most people don't pay $90/month for TV. :blink:

DirecTV is *very* liberal with credits if you've been a customer for awhile. Some sales person REALLY annoyed me last night and I've thought about calling and asking for some credits. The conversation went like:

DTV: "You've been such a valued customer for so long, we'd like to let you know that you can get the sports pack for $12/month."

Me: "Not interested, thank you."

DTV: "But with the sports pack, you can get blah blah blah."

Me: "I already said I'm not interested, thank you."

DTV: "But do you realize that you'll be able to watch sports with the sports pack?!"

Me: "Listen, if I'm such a valued customer, then perhaps you should listen to me when I say that I'm not interested!"

DTV: *stunned silence for a couple of seconds* "Well, realize that I'm just doing my job and that you'd really enjoy the sports....."

Me: Bye. <click>

Argh, I try not being rude to companies I do business with, but come on!

The Comcast guys who call are even more obnoxious (and I generally hang up quicker). I need to learn to just hang up to begin with...

CW