New Stadium Already Being Discussed?

BRAWNDO

I really wish that there were no tax breaks and incentives given by the government to any teams, or really to any businesses. If there was some federal law that somehow stopped any of that, I'd be fine with that...........But, if this is how the game is played, then I'm much happier them spending my money on the Bills, instead of the usual govt. waste.

Don't kid yourself. Little happens without government incentives. But it's not all evil. The idea, if done correctly, is money invested now for a significant payoff later. The town I live in created a multi-million dollar tax incentive for a shopping center. Center gets built, stores move in. But then more commercial development follows, which makes back the initial tax incentive and then some. Anyway, that's how it's supposed to work.

PTR

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New stadium backers should have their heads examined.

Tell me why would an already overburdened taxpayer (homeowner-apt owner) want to help pay for a new stadium when the existing one is perfectly fine to watch a losing team play in? Who ultimately pays for this new building? It wont be privately built that's for sure. From the Census:

1. New York (Least tax friendly state)

The Tax Foundation considers New York to have the worst business climate of all states.

When they say..."considers New York to have the worst business climate of all states"... they are talking about upstate. Downstate is doing just fine. Upstate is a trainwreck. So let's drop half a billion or more on a new stadium and raise everyone's taxes so drunken college kids and Canadians can watch the Bills lose. You guys just dont make any sense.

Bethlehem Steel site - It's a Superfund site - nuff said

Niagara Falls - You cant get there easily when there's no traffic. NF is already a dump. Why make it worse?

Downtown - Yeah, because Pet Clark says that's where the lights are bright.

Harbor - Sure, take away the only decent land left in the city and give it to the Bills. Brilliant.

If you pay WNY property taxes and you have no problem adding a new stadium to your bill, all the power to you. If you're a renter and you have no problem with your landlord upping your rent due to higher property taxes to pay for a new stadium, go for it. Someone's gotta pay for it.

Ok. Work on the upper deck then. We're not Dallas. We're more like KC. We need to use the existing site and building and keep it functional and safe. Nothing more or less. RWS can be functional for decades IF they spend any reno money wisely (which I'm sure they wont). This is NY States' way of claiming that they are building for the future and providing jobs, blah, blah. But every single year they come back to the taxpayers for more money and those same taxpayers are seeing their pay and benefits going down.

Look, those with good paying and secure jobs can obviously afford to be more liberal with taxpayer dollars. Those that aren't are nuts to support this. Everyone WILL pay for it one way or another. Not to mention a new building means new pricing and we're not talking lower prices. Are people in WNY that secure financially? I dont think they are or else the State would not be losing the number of residents that continue to flow out of here. Rochester had the only real corporate base and now it's gone. I just dont understand how WNYers can continue to be so flippant about where their tax dollars go. Definately fight for State development money to come to the area, but not for the Bills. I maintain that RWS is fine.

There's no new stadium coming ever. Any talk of one is just to placate and distract the WNY residents

I agree. As much as I'd like a brand new, modern stadium, in reality it is a pipe dream. I think we might as well just fix up/ improve the stadium we have

Agree completely that all of the ideas of new stadium are pipe dreams.

Disagree that is all 'Western NY' politician issues since many of the issues are caused by downstate politician decisions in Albany.

DID NOT see as many such articles slamming Yankee's sweetheart deal.