Ron Brooks listed as a SS on Bills depth chart

Maddog69

I was looking at the Bills depth chart and I found it interesting that they have Ron Brooks listed as a SS.

They have McKelvin as the starter opposite Gilmore with Aaron WIlliams as a backup.

The other interesting one was Carrington at DT. I thought he would be at DE.

Nothing earth shattering. It just caught my eye.

I don't agree with that move. Williams should've been the one to be converted to safety.

Agree.

That's onviously just a provisional chart though. A lot can change. I do see Brooks playing a utility role in the secondary however until he develops more and the coaches know what they have in him.

I imagine it was a mistake by whatever intern is running the site. It's possible but doubtful.

There are two possibilities--this being one of them, and it's HIGHLY likely.

The other is what we've been saying all along: we'll have some sort of mass of roving, indistinguishable DB's and "position" won't mean diddly.

There are two possibilities--this being one of them, and it's HIGHLY likely.

The other is what we've been saying all along: we'll have some sort of mass of roving, indistinguishable DB's and "position" won't mean diddly.

Right.

It's possible they made the decision as they reviewed film on him and started putting together the defense. Pettine has been know to like to play three safeties back there at the same time. Here is a blurb from Chris Brown about the progress. It doesnt mention any players or schemes, but the timing of a position switch like that is possible. I also saw on twitter yesterday that Brooks flew in to Buffalo yesterday to start working out, and was staying. So who knows.

Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has the luxury of having two former defensive coordinators on his defensive staff in Donnie Henderson and Chuck Dreisbach. That will a host of other top assistants has Pettine very happy with how their meetings have gone in the first couple of months at One Bills Drive.

Appearing on the Howard Simon Show on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550, Pettine shed some light on just how far along the staff is in completing the defensive playbook and how they took a fresh approach in putting all their concepts together.

“It’s a work in progress. Again I don’t think we’re going to dial in on it 100 percent. We’re going to highlight in our playbook what we do well,” said Pettine. ”So again it’s going to be more roster based. We have our base concepts that we’re going to run and those have been put in from a playbook standpoint, but we’re still trying to rebuild it.

“As a new staff we took what we built over four years in New York and then add the experience of the other coaches on the staff. We’ve basically hit the reset button on everything. I didn’t want to come in and say, ‘This is what we’re running.’

“Over time you accumulate a lot of tweaks and adjustments. We wanted to go back to the baseline and say, ‘Here is the way we’re going to teach it and then understand that these are all the variations of it.’ We still need to have a base way to teach it and we’ve had great meetings.

“I’m just thrilled with the knowledge and experience we have in the coaching staff. It’s a very open discussion that our guys have on there being more than one way to do it. It’s been very productive. I don’t think the playbook will be finalized until we’re ready to go to training camp.”

Obviously the coaches have to see what the players are able to execute consistently and effectively before deciding what stays and what goes and what’s used more often and what’s used less often in their scheme. Until they see their players’ level of execution they can’t finalize the playbook.

Yeah, because labeling players to one position is how defense is played. This is outrageous!!!

Most importantly, think about it. Ron Brooks might not be in as the FS or the SS. He could a dime or nickel type player - or any other type of guy brought inside to cover what an OLB can't. Jeesh.

Ok, Kelly, I was lazy and did not read your post before I posted. It was long and words are hard on TSW.

Also, I would like to point out that it used to be WR were only fast when running outside the hashs. They didn't go near the middle because they'd get stomped. Now, they cross it like [insensitive comment alluding to our neighbors to the South crossing the border]. That is because players there cannot hit them like they once could, and most importantly there is no speed between the hashes. Putting Ron Brooks there makes sense, he is a down field attacker who can route himself and cover sufficiently, although against top tier TE's who posses both speed AND size it is going to be rough, he is 5'11", 190 lbs. His 4.3 speed might be able to cut off angles...

But, against as I beat a dead horse, we have no chance at shoring up our ILB's this offseason and we need to get a run stopping SS.

Edited by jboyst62