Leodis McKelvin's Contract Breakdown

We're arguing semantics. When the Bills came out with their self-imposed cash to cap policy, it wasn't talking about adjusted caps and rollovers. They were talking about straight cap and straight cash. They don't really consider the cap because they are never in real danger of going over it. And it was the News' numbers, not Clayton's, that said they went over the adjusted cap as I read it. Only "third highest in the NFL" was in reference to Clayton. It flat states that they spent over the cap, and over the adjusted cap in cash last season. And I'm pretty sure they did it the second year after they said they were on this cash to cap thing, a few years ago.

Well now you've got me confused what we are arguing. I know last year our cap number was $141M, and we spent $139M so it doesn't lead me to believe we have changed our accounting system. This year our ceiling is $130M, and I bet we settle in around $125M-$127M. Here's an older thread where I tried to break down this years numbers under cash to cap accounting.

Well now you've got me confused what we are arguing. I know last year our cap number was $141M, and we spent $139M so it doesn't lead me to believe we have changed our accounting system. This year our ceiling is $130M, and I bet we settle in around $125M-$127M. Here's an older thread where I tried to break down this years numbers under cash to cap accounting.

This link says the Bills adjusted cap was 134.5 from Cantora at NFL.com.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/salary-cap-situation-for-each-team/

The News link said it was 134.

This link from PFT says it was 133.9

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/adjusted-per-team-cap-numbers-for-2012/

Looks to me like we spent 5 mil over adjusted cash to cap and 18 mil over the cap.

Looks to me like we spent 5 mil over adjusted cash to cap and 18 mil over the cap.

It sure does, and it would explain Clayton's numbers. LaCanfora has us spending only $136.5, which would put us only $2M over the adjusted cap. Only reasoning I can think of is they broke their own accounting rules to land Mario. It doesn't necessarily indicate a change from our current system. As a matter of fact, LaCanfora lists us spending $136M in cash with almost $10M available in cap room, which pretty much confirms we are still using cash to cap methodology.

It sure does, and it would explain Clayton's numbers. LaCanfora has us spending only $136.5, which would put us only $2M over the adjusted cap. Only reasoning I can think of is they broke their own accounting rules to land Mario. It doesn't necessarily indicate a change from our current system. As a matter of fact, LaCanfora lists us spending $136M in cash with almost $10M available in cap room, which pretty much confirms we are still using cash to cap methodology.

Right. That's all I started saying, was that it was a self-imposed accounting system that had little to do with the league, but that they broke their own rules in two of the last four years. I'd have to look deeper for the earlier season that they did it. But IIRC, it was the second year after they started it. They certainly havent been cheap in quite some time.

"Player expenses" encompasses more than just player salaries. There are health insurance and training costs to consider, for example. And that's usually multi-millions of dollars per year.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9