What are the Bills doing defensively?

Pitta

The Buffalo Bills switched from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense for 2 years back to a 4-3 defense last year and now it looks like they will be going back to a 3-4 hybrid this year. This after signing Mario Williams to a $100 contract as a 4-3 defensive end. Now Mario is going to play a lot of outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense a position he doesn't like or want to play. Just another reason why the Bills continue to lose ever year. They cannot even find a defensive identity and stick with it nor do they have the players to play this 3-4 defense. The Bills have the worst linebackers in the league and now you need 4 to play a 3-4.

Can you picture Mario Williams covering a back in coverage? It will remind you of Chris Kelsay when they tried to make a linebacker out of him. The Bills also signed another 4-3 defensive end in Anderson last year. Where is he going to play in a 3-4? Yes, I know the Bills will play some 4-3 defense but after signing Williams and Anderson to mega contracts these players will play part time or out of position.

This team continues to be a joke under Buddy Nix's leadership as the record shows. This team will compete for the #1 pick in the draft next year which may not be a bad thing because they may have a chance to pick a franchise QB in 2014.

Without a franchise QB for 17 years since Jim Kelly retired, no wide receivers other than Stevie Johnson, no tight ends or linebackers this team will win 4 games this year. There isn't enough free agents or draft choices to save this team this coming year.

Now somebody get me a god damn drink.

Just wanted to point out that Anderson played a lot of 3-4 OLB in the Patriots defense, as well as DE in a 4-3, and we converted him to a pure DE.

Edited by Haplo848

Wade Phillips is a master of the 3-4 defense. Pettine is still a young pup learning the tricks...

He is 46 and been learning from on eof the greatest D coaches around for years.

He also comes from a family of good coaches- albeit HS, but still.

Phillips is great, not taking anything away from him as a D cord. But Phillips has been a great D Cord for years....

God I need to come back on my patio and clear this mess up. People have no concept of basic d....

And

Just wanted to point out that Anderson played a lot of 3-4 OLB in the Patriots defense, as well as DE in a 4-3, and we converted him to a pure DE.

Anderson dropped in to coverage several timed a game when playing last year.

He is 46 and been learning from on eof the greatest D coaches around for years.

He also comes from a family of good coaches- albeit HS, but still.

Phillips is great, not taking anything away from him as a D cord. But Phillips has been a great D Cord for years....

Rex Ryan is not "one of the greatest D coaches around". On the other hand, Phillips teams know how to stop the Run every year.