20 years following this team: I've never been more pessimistic

Most people here aren't going to agree with this or even think that it's true, but the problem with this organization is that the entire front office still reeks from Tom Donahoe's influence. The primary guys that he installed are still there and are obviously buffoons. The fact that they get paid to do what some of us could easily do better on a part-time charity basis is irrelevant.

They're all still here and even the new FO pretty boy, Doug Whaley, is one of them. So why people seem to think that he's some rising superstar when he's been an integral part of the problem simply boggles the mind. He too hales from Donahoe's Pittsburgh Friends & Family hiring jobs program. This organization is as much good-ole-boy network as any organization in the league if not the worst.

Until that changes then anyone expecting anything different does so at their own risk. And for some it's no risk, they have no lives despite lectures of success etc. For the rest of us, we have other things to do and family to spend time with or other pursuits to undertake so that we don't feel obligated to be "good fans" which many simply construe as financiers of this lame organization. X dollars for tickets, $25 for parking, $20-30 for nominal refreshments of high school cafeteria quality, etc., all while watching a poor product in its industry.

Being a fan does not mean that one must put up with mediocrity, which we usually don't even get as over the last decade have more gotten pure crap. Being a fan means expecting more and holding accountable those that are supposed to provide it and when they can't, supporting finding people that can.

This is an entertainment business lest we forget. Who's entertained by what this team provides? Not me. Clearly not you or the thread starter. So let those that either have nothing else to do with their time and money, and those so proudly "successful" that they can justify wasting their time and apparently overly abundant resources on something akin to the consumer equivalent of Chinese made crap that doesn't work from the moment you take it out of the box that it came in.

When this team figures out how to succeed, and does it, then true fans such as yourself and the thread starter, myself, and the many many others that see reality for what it is will come back and support the team. Right now it is not worthy of our support whether some choose to support it or not. This ain't a jobs program for friends of the organization, it's a business, and one that outside the truest parameters of a real free-market business takes money from taxpayers, many of whom are against having their money taken for it, operates as such which should render it even more, not less, accountable.

My Bills fan friends and I attended every '90s Bills home playoff game and many of us slept out overnight to get tix at Marine Midland Bank in Rochester, a number of times, to get tix to those games. We also sat in the stadium when the upper decks were all but empty and you could pretty much have your pick of seats in the end zones back in the early and mid '80s upon attending almost any game. So for anyone to suggest that we're not fans merely shows the hubris of other fans.

Bottom line, the team's front office sucks moose balls. The marketing and ticketing depts. all but deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for being able to sell the proverbial ice to an eskimo, but after that, the rest of the front office can take their 2 IQ points and rub 'em together to try to start a fire.

No one's asking for a perennial Super Bowl winner here, no one. But it would be refreshing to see a team that creates itself with some kind of obvious plan that's evident, and one whereby the coaches do not routinely get embarrassed and outcoached by the most mediocre of coaches in the league not to mention themselves at times. It would be nice to see some competent football for 4 full quarters on a routine basis, win or lose.

Who wants to go see coaches that make idiotic decisions, have their teams perpetually unprepared and unable to adjust at halftime, see worse teams beat them, and essentially show up for two or three critical games a season while showing up with their pants down around their ankles for the other dozen-plus!

Well, some of those that apparently enjoy that are the more successful among us in life if they are to be believed. LOL The rest, well, probably much like most of the others in this thread that know better, that Marrone, despite being the 100% mystery meat product that he is in the NFL, is going to be a beast just because a bunch of media men told them so. LOL

The odds are that on March 7th, 2016, the same people are going to be opining the same things with the next head coach and/or GM in place.

For now it's still a free country. I'm with the thread starter though and have been for several years, at least, in not wanting to waste any of my life or resources on something being offered me as a product whereupon I find myself being insulted that anyone would think that I would accept such a shoddy product at full price.

At the same time, there's nothing to suggest that those that are "more successful" in life, that spend their money on such a shoddy product are wrong either. If that's what they enjoy spending money on, to me it says more about their standards, and standards as fans, than anything else. But hey, some of us have standards for what we accept, and some don't.

Gresat post and it sums up my feelings to a tee. I cant deal with those fans who accuse people of not caring as much anymore as "fake" fans. To me the phonies are those that just sit there and take it and renew their seasons' like sheep.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not going to lie, i like these posts.

Someone referenced chip kelly. We tried getting him. He just chose someone else. That is not a knock on the bills. So in reality, it's a stupid uninfomed comment.

I'm looking forward to watching cj play. Big time. For now, that's about it.

As they say, one day at a time. We got rid of our sucky head coach. FA is near. Draft is near. So relax a bit.

I say it all the time too. Being a bills fan sucks sometimes. But oh well, who really effin cares?

Let's say it all together, "Who effin cares??????"

Keep the ticket to watch NFL games. This last season was a joy to watch so many good games. Just pick a team that is on the up (yeah be a guy that jumps on the bandwagon) Like San Francisco. A team with the character that appeals to you weather that be smashmouth defense or finesse O, or whatever. But keep that softspot in your heart for the Bills. Watch occasionally when the games pique your interest. But don't give up on the NFL because the Bills are inept. Try fantasy football. It gets you rooting for players and teams you wouldn't have cared about before. And when the Bills get good (IT WILL HAPPEN!) you can admit you were a fair weather fan, but always rooted for them. But to survive the dark years you need to enjoy good football. Here's to another great year of NFL football. Hope the Bills can get competitive and fun again soon.

Im not going to lie, i like these posts.

Someone referenced chip kelly. We tried getting him. He just chose someone else. That is not a knock on the bills. So in reality, it's a stupid uninfomed comment.

I'm looking forward to watching cj play. Big time. For now, that's about it.

As they say, one day at a time. We got rid of our sucky head coach. FA is near. Draft is near. So relax a bit.

I say it all the time too. Being a bills fan sucks sometimes. But oh well, who really effin cares?

Let's say it all together, "Who effin cares??????"

Yeah! CJ is our Blake Griffin, now all we need is our CP3!!

Some of the best advice I've seen on this board.

I also am overly obsessed with this team. I don't miss games. I've watched every last play of every blowout loss. After close losses (like the Pats last season), I don't speak to anyone or answer phone calls for a good 20-30 mins. I refuse to watch games with opposing teams fans. Seeing anyone cheer for my misfortune gets me extremely pissed off. I've always been competitive when I play sports and it transfers over to the Bills.

I'm not the least bit optimistic about this year. But this is an addiction for me. I don't think I'll ever overcome it.

I grew up around fair-weather Giants fans who can't name 1/4 of their roster. I get to watch and listen to them brag and jump around over their multiple SB wins.

If the Bills draft a RB or DT at #8 I will probably break various expensive things around my apartment, drop out of college and cry for days.

When you get older and survive 2 decades of this youll learn to care less. Its natural.