QBs and the passes they throw (draft)

NoSaint

Interesting statistics, but I'm not sure it tells the whole story or you can draw any conclusion from it. For instance, one of the keys to West Virginia's offense was to get the ball in the hands of Tavon Austin and let him use his considerable talent to move the ball. That is a good plan. It's done with screens and the shuttle pass, all behind the line of scrimmage. It doesn't make Geno Smith less of a QB, it makes him one who can read a defense and follow the game plan. Smith also had over 2% of passes over 40 yards as did Barkley.

If that number was 0% then I woulf think it was significant because you do not know he can throw the long ball, but it's not. I'm no ready to draw any conclusions, but I do appreciate the information.

Wow!! I loved that article. If that's the kind of analytics RB is trying to incorporate, I guess we may see a different QB than we think. It does worry me that 33% of Geno Smith's passes were behind the line of scrimmage and he was decidedly poor on the passes that require a lot of zip. But, on the other hand, I watched a few of his highlights and the dude is slippery in the pocket. Not in a "tuck and run" way. But in a way that allows him to find some clean space to throw in. And he does it all while keeping his eyes down field apparently. He is the most confusing QB to try and figure out.

Interesting statistics, but I'm not sure it tells the whole story or you can draw any conclusion from it. For instance, one of the keys to West Virginia's offense was to get the ball in the hands of Tavon Austin and let him use his considerable talent to move the ball. That is a good plan. It's done with screens and the shuttle pass, all behind the line of scrimmage. It doesn't make Geno Smith less of a QB, it makes him one who can read a defense and follow the game plan. Smith also had over 2% of passes over 40 yards as did Barkley.

If that number was 0% then I woulf think it was significant because you do not know he can throw the long ball, but it's not. I'm no ready to draw any conclusions, but I do appreciate the information.

yea, no stat will tell all the story, but a lot of this seemed to tell parts of the story that i havent seen on here (or atleast with more detail). all these are pieces of a bigger puzzle that teams are putting together to evaluate these guys.

The Collin Klein stuff is really interesting. To my untrained eye, I'd have said "stay the hell away" but I wonder if there's something more here. Worth a flyer in the 3rd or 4th round?

The Collin Klein stuff is really interesting. To my untrained eye, I'd have said "stay the hell away" but I wonder if there's something more here. Worth a flyer in the 3rd or 4th round?

Yea he looked like he was just floating balls erratically to me with little zip or accuracy