Can we find our 'system QB' in this draft?

Kellyto83TD

Some were upset when our new HC said his systems were 80% complete. Some have an issue with having a system then drafting/ signing players to fit the system, but this is how the great teams do it.

Our problem since Marchibroda left and Jim Kelly retired (esp on Offense) is we didnt' have a pure set system that wasn't behind the curve. We are bringing in a version of the KGun that has a WCO main set. This is an established system (see New Orleans) and teams find players to fit the system.

Tom Brady (and yes I hate everything about the shemale...) is one of the best QB's to play the game...because he is a system QB and is in his perfect system. Payton Manning, the broncos adapted his system. Drew Brees, good QB at SD, didn't become great till he went to NO and it was the perfect system for him.

I say whaley flat told you that we are picking a QB in the early 2nd and maybe move up into the first IF they find a guy that fits our new SYSTEM. And Guys and gals that is a GREAT Thing!

We have a good system, find our 'system QB' and we will be light years ahead of where we have been since 96'.

So I say get the system set, and hope there is a guy there that fits that system.

After doing some limited research on Nassib although i'm not real sure about him but i think he might be the best pick this year for us.

I really like Tyler Brays arm & wouldn't mind him as a late round pick but i'm not sure that will happen, if for nothing else b/c Buddy has a problem with any character issues.

Which puts Bray, Darick Rogers, possibly Ogeltree, & others off our board, which i think some times the risk might be worth the reward .

If we were looking for a system QB wouldnt we be looking a Nassib? I like Bray as a late round pick but his stats are below 60%...Glennon seems to have some bad mechanics so Im rooting for Wilson. The one thing ive learned over the 50 years ive been a fan is that this early in the process...I dont know crap.

I am on board with the idea of "system" which I loosely equate with Identity. I think Buffalo has lacked an Identity since the early 90's. I'm always harping on how important it is to find and maintain an identity - think of Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Jets defenses, or Patriots, New Orleans, Shanahan offenses - these "systems" or Identities allow the staff to isolate players who have the perfect or most desirable characteristics for success. Buffalo has switched coaches and systems and players so much over the last 2 decades we have no identity. That identity not only helps in the drafting and aquiring of talent, but it guides the players on the field. How many Baltimore defenders are going to give it anything but 100% on any given play, or hit with anything less than ferocity (San Fran defense comes to mind) - and THAT is what Buffalo needs, desperately.

Fortunately, I believe we've found the men to give this team an identity. I think Marone/Hackett will have a speedy, dangerous offense and I think Pettine will have us playing nasty, aggressive, tough defense. Any fan knows exactly what I'm talking about here - finally having a team that we can count on on Sundays, when we're watching them play, knowing that we're going to get the same standard week in and out.

Funny same system made Matt Castle one of the best QB's in the NFL that year. Put him in KC...

That is a good point, but Brady is consistently better than Cassel was in his one year starting in NE.

Check out Brady's Passer Rating from 2007-2012:

07: 117

08: INJ

09: 96 (coming off major knee injury)

10: 111

11: 106

12: 99

Cassel's one year starting in NE he had a passer rating of 89.4. Pretty good, but not at Brady's level.

Further, Cassel did put in one very good year in KC with a passer rating of 93.

I know that passer rating is not a be-all in terms of how a QB has performed, but it is a pretty good indicator.

I think that Brady would not be as effective in certain systems, however the same can be said for almost every player. You are correct that a team's offense has to play to the strengths of their QB (and OL, and WRs and RBs etc), but I don't think there is much argument that Brady is an outstanding QB - much better than Matt Cassel.

It's tough to tell about Brady. He has never been outside of the system. Manning *is* the system.

I do concede that every player has certain strengths and weaknesses. Brady, Manning, Brees, etc wouldn't be as effective if their game plans revolved around the QB running (or being a running threat). None of the 3 that I listed have the very strongest arms in the league either, so I think if you have them throwing bombs all day that would not be playing to their strengths. However, they have enough arm strength to say that they aren't just good "short" passers. These guys are also forceful leaders who are very smart and get their teams into the right plays to take advantage of a defense's weaknesses.

If the point of this thread is that there are "perfect" QBs who would be great running any type of offense, then I disagree to an extent. However, there are definitely guys who have more strengths than other guys.

I think it is more accurate to say a "system" QB is more a "limited" QB. Guys like Chad Pennington were "system" QBs in my opinion. Pennington lacked arm strength, especially after multiple shoulder injuries. He was able to succeed to a certain degree by running an offense that didn't rely heavily on deep and intermediate passes.

Brady definitely is.

As hard as this is to say, Brady is the best qb of this generation. That's not a system qb. He hes evolved as a passer over yhe course of his career, going on 13 yrs, and while it is valid to harken back to cassell, remember that NE missed the playoffs that yr. If it were all the system they wouldve gone further, right?

A side note also, I get why ppl here hate Brady, but if you forget the team he plays for and look at his story, it's really something. Unhearlded propect goes from cast aside scout teamer to hall of famer, come on, you can't write this stuff. Add in the attitude, the playboy rep, supermodel wives/girlfriend's, and the tuck rule/brady rule/spygate stuff. It's an unbelievable story.

As hard as this is to say, Brady is the best qb of this generation. That's not a system qb. He hes evolved as a passer over yhe course of his career, going on 13 yrs, and while it is valid to harken back to cassell, remember that NE missed the playoffs that yr. If it were all the system they wouldve gone further, right?

A side note also, I get why ppl here hate Brady, but if you forget the team he plays for and look at his story, it's really something. Unhearlded propect goes from cast aside scout teamer to hall of famer, come on, you can't write this stuff. Add in the attitude, the playboy rep, supermodel wives/girlfriend's, and the tuck rule/brady rule/spygate stuff. It's an unbelievable story.

yeah, i acknowledge the greatness, but because of this there may not be any other player i dislike more in the nfl. well, this and the fact that he has rubbed our collective noses in dog**** for the past decade.

Couple things,

Brady and Manning are not system QBs

And marrone said the playbook was 80% done, not the system.

Then take into account what Whaley said they are looking for at the position.

At this point in his career, Manning definitely is.

Edited by Bills Fan888