Bart Scott anyone???

chetsap

I think most fans approach the free agency period as if it were fantasy football - i.e. simply covet the guy with the best stats. They look at a guy like Bart Scott and say "too old," "on the decline," "loudmouth,' etc. While there is truth to that, they overlook the impact a guy like Scott would have on installing Pettine's new defense. Last time Scott was a FA (2009) he was coming off statistically mediocre seasons of 1.0 and 1.5 sacks, yet Rex Ryan and Pettine literally camped out on his doorstep until the free agency period began at midnight ensuring they talk to him first - he was that vital to have for bringing over their defense from Baltimore.

Tim Graham wrote a great article a week ago that illustrates building a defense isn't just about the numbers

Why it's important Bills clear room for some of Mike Pettine's Jets

If Scott could be signed to a reasonable deal, he could have a huge impact this season even as a part-time player. (It's not like we would have to cut one of our All-Pro linebackers to make room for him either)

Very good article and very good point. I agree the on field teaching aspect is a huge part of 'getting' a new defense and for that reason I've come around to the idea of signing Scott, assuming it's a fairly low cost deal.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LANDRY AND PACE maybe ,,, SCOTT NO WAY !! HES used up and slow!

Landry would be a good pick up to bring in a player to help install the new defense. I wouldn't be opposed to Pace either to help out the front 7. But out of all the Jets rejects I would stay away from Bart Scott guy hasn't been good for two seasons now. If we suffer an injury or two at LB come camp and he is still on the market maybe bring him in then. But Bart Scott hasn't been living up to his namesake for a while now.

I think most fans approach the free agency period as if it were fantasy football - i.e. simply covet the guy with the best stats. They look at a guy like Bart Scott and say "too old," "on the decline," "loudmouth,' etc. While there is truth to that, they overlook the impact a guy like Scott would have on installing Pettine's new defense. Last time Scott was a FA (2009) he was coming off statistically mediocre seasons of 1.0 and 1.5 sacks, yet Rex Ryan and Pettine literally camped out on his doorstep until the free agency period began at midnight ensuring they talk to him first - he was that vital to have for bringing over their defense from Baltimore.

Tim Graham wrote a great article a week ago that illustrates building a defense isn't just about the numbers

Why it's important Bills clear room for some of Mike Pettine's Jets

If Scott could be signed to a reasonable deal, he could have a huge impact this season even as a part-time player. (It's not like we would have to cut one of our All-Pro linebackers to make room for him either)

Very good article and very good point. I agree the on field teaching aspect is a huge part of 'getting' a new defense and for that reason I've come around to the idea of signing Scott, assuming it's a fairly low cost deal.

The much-hated Bryan Cox was a valuable twilight-of-his-career player for Parcells and Belichick. He wasn't the same player he was in Miami but his experience and knowledge of the system was highly valued by his coaches.

The much-hated Bryan Cox was a valuable twilight-of-his-career player for Parcells and Belichick. He wasn't the same player he was in Miami but his experience and knowledge of the system was highly valued by his coaches.

As a player Bryan Cox had trouble controlling his emotions. It seems that he has pulled himself together and has now gotten on the coaching carousel in the NFL I'm happy for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Cox

Edited by JohnC