Soccer - USMNT vs. Honduras Wed. 2/6

Cugalabanza

WC qualifying resumes as the U.S. enters the "Hex" along with Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Mexico and Panama.

The first game is Wednesday 2/6 (4pm ET) in Honduras. Unfortunately, most people in the U.S. won't get to see it because that lame ass network BeIN Sports has hijacked the rights.

It's a huge game though. Honduras gives the U.S. fits. And Donovan is still on his mental health break, apparently trying to reinvigorate his passion for the game or something.

From what I've read, many fans think we should just be conservative and get the one point in Honduras and then go for the win when they meet again on U.S. soil. I think that's some pansy crap myself. I mean, are we Dick Jaurons or are we men? I say, screw the draw. Score a bunch of goals and win the game. Why the hell are we afraid of freaking Honduras?

Anyway, anybody else interested in this?

WC qualifying resumes as the U.S. enters the "Hex" along with Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Mexico and Panama.

The first game is Wednesday 2/6 (4pm ET) in Honduras. Unfortunately, most people in the U.S. won't get to see it because that lame ass network BeIN Sports has hijacked the rights.

It's a huge game though. Honduras gives the U.S. fits. And Donovan is still on his mental health break, apparently trying to reinvigorate his passion for the game or something.

From what I've read, many fans think we should just be conservative and get the one point in Honduras and then go for the win when they meet again on U.S. soil. I think that's some pansy crap myself. I mean, are we Dick Jaurons or are we men? I say, screw the draw. Score a bunch of goals and win the game. Why the hell are we afraid of freaking Honduras?

Anyway, anybody else interested in this?

All I can say is make sure Bradley doesn't get interested :P

I hate that conservative mentality and thankfully I don't think Juergen likes it either. It's not in his DNA. He wants three points every game. If we want to advance further in the World Cup, we have to find a way to win consistently on the road in Central America. Not to take anything away from Hondurus, Costa Rica, Panama, etc as they make the conditions very difficult but we simply need better results if we want to take that next step.

Just a reminder that the top three teams make the World Cup with the fourth place team getting a home-and-home series with the winner of the OCEANIA region (aka New Zealand).

My Hex Predictions

1. Mexico

2. USA

3. Costa Rica

4. Panama

5. Honduras

6. Jamaica

Panama beats New Zealand in play-in leg to advance.

Strange time for the USMNT. I think we're at a transition point. So many young players fighting for spots.

I think only three players have locks on starting spots for Brazil 2014: Tim Howard, Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey.

The back line is very much in question. Bocanegra seems to be fading. Cherundolo, Chandler, Fabian Johnson, Geoff Cameron, Parkhurst all have talent, but it's not clear who will rise and who will fall. Onyewu no longer seems to be in the picture.

My dream midfield would include a reinvigorated Donovan, a more mature & consistent Feilhaber (I've always said he's world class when he's on his game), a healthy Stuart Holden and of course Bradley. It's possible that Bradley will be the only one who actually makes it.

Jozy has been scoring a lot of goals in the Dutch league. I hope he can translate that once again to the NT. I really like Hercules Gomez too--he always fights and scraps and somehow creates good chances. Brek Shea will probably find a spot in there too.

I read the comments on the Soccer By Ives site and the hardcore fans have suggested starting lineups that are all over the place. There's some pretty good talent overall, but so much sorting out has to be done in the next year and a half. I doubt very many other national teams have as many question marks as team USA.

A healthy midfield combo of Donovan, Dempsey, Holden and Bradley would be very dangerous. There is a lot of skill, pace and class among those four players that would make it hard for any opponent.

Prior to his injury, Stuart Holden was rated one of the best mids in the EPL and he was trending up. I hope he can regain his form before 2014 because adding him to the mix would make me feel so much better about the team.

As for the backline, I think Omar Gonzalez is the future and maybe the present. They do need another shutdown CB (maybe Cameron). Chandler and Johnson should be much better on the flanks then we've seen in the past. It can't be any worse than Bornstein at left back.

Edited by PTS

As for the backline, I think Omar Gonazelez is the future and maybe the present. They do need another shutdown CB (maybe Cameron). Chandler and Johnson should be much better on the flanks then we've seen in the past. It can't be any worse than Bornstein at left back.

Yes, I forgot to include Gonzalez. I hope he gets a lot of playing time in these hex matches. Also, I could not agree more about Bornstein. The Bob Bradley infatuation with this clown was Gailey-Thigpen-like. I'm so glad that is in the past for good.

Chandler is a big fan favorite although he still needs to show it. Actually, he is still not officially cap-tied to the U.S. He could technically still decide to play for Germany. He has made a verbal commitment, but he can make it official by stepping onto the field in one of these qualifiers. He has bigtime potential.

Yes, I forgot to include Gonzalez. I hope he gets a lot of playing time in these hex matches. Also, I could not agree more about Bornstein. The Bob Bradley infatuation with this clown was Gailey-Thigpen-like. I'm so glad that is in the past for good.

Chandler is a big fan favorite although he still needs to show it. Actually, he is still not officially cap-tied to the U.S. He could technically still decide to play for Germany. He has made a verbal commitment, but he can make it official by stepping onto the field in one of these qualifiers. He has bigtime potential.

By all accounts, I think he steps on the field tomorrow to make it official. He said prior to the Russia game that he is "10,000% commited to the US". We'll take 100% Timmy.

I also check out SBI from time to time, gotta love this comment one of the readers posted:

CONCACAF is extremely hostile. Nothing in the rest of world football really holds a candle to the conditions, atmosphere and gamesmanship you play against in Caribbean/Central America/Mexico. There’s barbed wire fences, toxic atmosphere, water logged pitches filled with sand, fans throwing hard items or feces at you, wild weather, altitude, and then you get to the players on the other team who will cheat at every possible turn to earn fouls, send offs or penalties. Then you have to deal with the officiating, which is proven to be very anti-American.
Edited by PTS

Maybe the US men's team should set their sights on a more appropriate level of competition, like qualifying for the 2016 special olympics.

I think they should watch the U.S. Women's national team. They have what the men's team is lacking: creative-minded attacking midfielders and forwards who can finish.

For the world cup, we're really gonna need Donovan to come back and we're gonna need Stuart Holden to get back to 100%.

That game on Wednesday was depressing. Where is the attack-styled football that JK was supposed to bring.

Maybe we just don't have the talent to play that way. They looked like they were running with cement shoes.

For some more depressing news, check out this article on what might have been if Charlie Davies never made that tragic and stupid decision four years ago:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/07/throw-lamenting-what-davies-couldve-been-us

Davies was exactly the type of player the US needed and still needs.

Gringo: You are absolutely correct about Holden. We need him back ASAP.

It's also a shame that Freddy Adu isn't getting his chance. Although from what I read, it seems his attitude is the main issue. He's far and away the most skilled US player. He would give fits to teams like Honduras. The kid has to get his head out of his ass and become a better team player.

My Hex Predictions

1. Mexico

2. USA

3. Costa Rica

4. Panama

5. Honduras

6. Jamaica

Panama beats New Zealand in play-in leg to advance.

I really don't know how it's going to play out. Honduras just beat the U.S. and Jamaica just got a draw against Mexico, at Azteca!

CONCACAF is getting tougher all the time. At this point, there are no easy games. For the U.S. they'll have two games coming up in March. 3/22 at Home against Costa Rica, then Mexico at Azteca on 3/26. A loss in Mexico would be the most likely result there. Let's say we get just a point (or worse) against Costa Rica.... panic time!

I feel angry at Klinsmann for not having sorted out these line-up and system questions before now. The team is a mess. As I said before, only Howard, Bradley and Dempsey are locks. All the other spots feel like open tryouts. There hasn't been any consistency in the line-up for years now.

I really don't know how it's going to play out. Honduras just beat the U.S. and Jamaica just got a draw against Mexico, at Azteca!

CONCACAF is getting tougher all the time. At this point, there are no easy games. For the U.S. they'll have two games coming up in March. 3/22 at Home against Costa Rica, then Mexico at Azteca on 3/26. A loss in Mexico would be the most likely result there. Let's say we get just a point (or worse) against Costa Rica.... panic time!

I feel angry at Klinsmann for not having sorted out these line-up and system questions before now. The team is a mess. As I said before, only Howard, Bradley and Dempsey are locks. All the other spots feel like open tryouts. There hasn't been any consistency in the line-up for years now.

Klinsmann was a great player, overrated coach though. He doesn't have much experience outside of the German national team. Team Germany has so much talent any bum could take em to the WC semis. He needs to pull it together.