Bleacher Report lists Bills-Giants Super Bowl as best of all time

vincec

The context of beginning of gulf war added to patriotic drama. Whitney Houston rocked the house with IMO best pregame national anthem ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrQINYTSd4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was wondering... Did she lip sync the anthem? With this whole Beyonce thing the past week, I caught somewhere that said: "Even Whitney lip synced the anthem." I never heard that!

I wonder if anybody has ever come up with a theory as to why the first I guess 30-35 years of Super Bowls were mostly horrible games (it was an annual disappointment), and now over the last 15 or so years, we've had a whole bunch of thrillers.

I think it is technology and how teams prepare for the game. IMO.

the NFL used to have more teams that played dominant defense. I don't know if it is the rule changes, or the fact that this is pretty much a passing league (likely a combo of the two) or whatever....but parity has not only caught up with the league (minus the Bills of course) but it seems to have caught up to the games themselves.

... I just don't think the game is as good as it once was. Like a lot of things...

Now, most games are shoot-outs, comebacks, collapses of monumental proportions...it is entertaining I suppose, but I don't think it really makes for a better game.

totally agree

they started with changing the rules on defensive backs only being able to initiate contact within the first five yards, then they added all the rules that prevented the qb from taking hard hits. so they made the game safer for qbs which i think is fine, but they should have dialed back the rules on the dbs to compensate. but since most casual fans prefer scoring, and that has made the nfl more popular than ever, they arent about to change it now

frankly i honestly thing it has ruined the game. now the entire focus of every team pretty much has to be to get a really good qb or else your chances at a title plummet dramatically. no sport should be single-position centric, and todays nfl is about as qb centric as you can get. defense doesnt win championships anymore, at least not with any regularity. its almost always about the qb above everything else

if it makes me a sour old codger to prefer a good TEAM could win more often over a good QB then pass me the ensure and depends

well i wasnt really commenting on the op, i was just commenting on the theme that had developed just before my post

but still, link only posting is a message board scourge that should be avoided at all costs, regardless of how descriptive the title is. at least invest the four seconds it takes to cut and paste a blurb even if you dont want to provide any personal commentary

Don't click into Go Bills in Dallas' threads.

I was wondering... Did she lip sync the anthem? With this whole Beyonce thing the past week, I caught somewhere that said: "Even Whitney lip synced the anthem." I never heard that!

Yes, she did.

totally agree

they started with changing the rules on defensive backs only being able to initiate contact within the first five yards, then they added all the rules that prevented the qb from taking hard hits. so they made the game safer for qbs which i think is fine, but they should have dialed back the rules on the dbs to compensate. but since most casual fans prefer scoring, and that has made the nfl more popular than ever, they arent about to change it now

frankly i honestly thing it has ruined the game. now the entire focus of every team pretty much has to be to get a really good qb or else your chances at a title plummet dramatically. no sport should be single-position centric, and todays nfl is about as qb centric as you can get. defense doesnt win championships anymore, at least not with any regularity. its almost always about the qb above everything else

if it makes me a sour old codger to prefer a good TEAM could win more often over a good QB then pass me the ensure and depends

Vince Lombardi hated how important the QB was to such a team game. He'd flip out over it's importance today. I do think that it sucks just how important it is. Football has the most players on the field of the major sports and yet the one position is most dominant (I realize a pitcher really can dominate a game, but they can only do it one out of five games)

Actually, I do not see how anyone could argue that this was NOT the greatest Super Bowl of all time. When watching highlights of some of the other games, it easy to fall into the trap of believing that some of the other games (like the Rams/Titans one, for example) may have been more exciting. However, I believe all of those games lacked the back-and-forth battle as well as the drama that Super Bowl XXV entailed. Certainly is his hard to forget the aura of Patriotism surrounding the game with the Persian Gulf War going on and the incredible rendition of the National Anthem by Whitney.

As for the game itself, just some quick thoughts...

1. It was the classic match-up up of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history against one of the all time greatest offenses. A great match-up between two polar opposite teams. The Bills with their hurry-up offense; the Giants with their plodding, shorten-the-game offense.

2. The ebb and flow of the game was supreme. Just when it seemed like one team was about to take over the game, another would come up with a big play. There were just so many turning points. For example, as bad as the defense played at the end of the first half and the start of the second half, they stepped up and only allowed a FG after that. That FG was big because it forced the Giants to settle for 3 in a goal-to-go situation late in the game. The defense also forced that final punt with about 2:00 to go. I honestly thought the game belonged to Buffalo at that point, given Kelly's mastery of the 2:00 offense.

3. The game was clean from an officiating standpoint. Very few penalties and no obvious bad calls.

4. No turnovers. (How Hostetler managed to hold onto that football when Bruce had him by the wrist I will never understand.)

5. The coaching clinic put on by Parcells and Belichick; the amazing performance by Thurman.

6. Has any championship game in ANY sport ever come down to the final play: Make the kick and you win; miss it and you lose?

I know it is still hard to take after all these years. However, that is one game where both teams played well enough to win. I was proud of our team that day. The other 3 Super Bowls? Not so much.

Edited by 2003Contenders