You think Spiller is fast?

So, so Bo is faster. This might piss some people here off but...so what?

Pure speed isn't the end all be all. In fact, let's point to what made Spiller great last season: he stopped trying to constantly go to the outside. He got more patient with his blocks, so that once he had an opening he could get that wonderful acceleration.

actually he's not. Based on all records I saw was that CJ is .10 seconds faster in the 100.

But your right. Who cares.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats not quite that accurate. I ran track with a guy in high school that would run sub 10.60s, was on the state track team and had by far the fastest start of anyone he ran against no matter what level of competition. He was approx 5' 6" tall and his short legs were absolutely amazing at bursts but his top end speed and leg length left him short in the too end. Dare I say that if he was a few inches taller with longer strides he would have run near 10.20s.

I was very deep into track growing up. Ran in WNY section 6 finals in the hurdles myself, had many team mates that were on the state teams and more. I've seen a lot of 100m dashes and I can say you might be right about it in this case but that doesn't mean your right.

That's why Usain Bolt is so dominating, because he's super tall, much longer leg stride than any other sprinter in the track. There's a diagram I saw once that showed that he has less strides in the 100 than all the other sprinters on the track.

So is it your contention that someone can compete with world class athletes at both the 100 and 200 meter distances without top end speed?

GO BILLS!!!

I was a huge Bo Jackson fan. I still have his jersey and would loved to have seen what he could do over a full season.

Unfortunately there is no doubt in my mind that he was juicing big time as were a lot of players during that time

Edited by Max997

So is it your contention that someone can compete with world class athletes at both the 100 and 200 meter distances without top end speed?

GO BILLS!!!

i was simply making a point that top end speed and burst speed is different. Of course you could be extremely good at one and not the other and still compete against others in the field of the others.

CJ for example is extremely fast in burst as was Barry but his top gear allows him to be caught a bit at times.

There are top end guys that won't ever be caught but can't get into open space to get to that point as often as they'd like.

Simply stating there is a difference between the 2 but either one being absolutely dominating, could make up for said difference.

I think that was the argument why Deion was so deadly. There were guys with better top end speed but no one accelerated as quickly. Simms said it wasn't even close between him and anyone else, and that's why he'd get so many picks; QBs wouldn't anticipate he could close the gap that fast on a WR that otherwise looked open

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm trying to think of the guys who are playing now who've jumped out at me as having great football speed and great top end on top of their quickness.

The first name that came to mind was Patrick Peterson.

That interception he made against the Bills this season was ridiculous as were a few of his return touchdowns last year. It seem like on one of the returns from 2011 he was spun around but was still running backwards faster than others were running forwards.

His interception against the Bills was on a significantly overthrown ball and it was like watching Willie Mays chase one down in deep center. He swooped past the other players, caught it and then turned it back the other way.

i was simply making a point that top end speed and burst speed is different. Of course you could be extremely good at one and not the other and still compete against others in the field of the others.

CJ for example is extremely fast in burst as was Barry but his top gear allows him to be caught a bit at times.

There are top end guys that won't ever be caught but can't get into open space to get to that point as often as they'd like.

Simply stating there is a difference between the 2 but either one being absolutely dominating, could make up for said difference.

I get what you're saying. If Spiller were strictly a world class 100 runner, I could make a stronger point that his burst was the key to his success and that he wouldn't necessarily need top end speed to compete at a high level in that race. But he was a great 200 sprinter as well and you must have the requisite top end speed to compete in that event or you will fade embarrassingly long before the finish.

GO BILLS!!!

I get what you're saying. If Spiller were strictly a world class 100 runner, I could make a stronger point that his burst was the key to his success and that he wouldn't necessarily need top end speed to compete at a high level in that race. But he was a great 200 sprinter as well and you must have the requisite top end speed to compete in that event or you will fade embarrassingly long before the finish.

GO BILLS!!!

id disagree with that. 100 and 200 are considered full out sprints. 400 is even considered a full out sprint but as we all know that 400 times are much more than just 4 really good 100s. But the 200 on the other hand, the WRs for the 200 are basically double that of the 100.

But your point is taken.

Edited by mrags

id disagree with that. 100 and 200 are considered full out sprints. 400 is even considered a full out sprint but as we all know that 400 times are much more than just 4 really good 100s. But the 200 on the other hand, the WRs for the 200 are basically double that of the 100.

But your point is taken.

The 400 is the hardest race in track and field. It's not even part of this discussion.

My only point is that Spiller, as a world class competitor in both the 100 and 200 possesses both excellent starting burst, a key element for the 100, as well as the top end speed to also compete at the much harder 200 where you simply must have top end finishing speed to compete at that high level.

I'm done with this as I'm not even sure what it is we're debating anymore. Spiller is fast to the hole, fast through the second level, and plenty fast enough to take it the distance as there are few defenders who can run him down over the course of a longer sprint. Feel free to disagree all you wish. It's OK with me.

GO BILLS!!!

The 400 is the hardest race in track and field. It's not even part of this discussion.

My only point is that Spiller, as a world class competitor in both the 100 and 200 possesses both excellent starting burst, a key element for the 100, as well as the top end speed to also compete at the much harder 200 where you simply must have top end finishing speed to compete at that high level.

I'm done with this as I'm not even sure what it is we're debating anymore. Spiller is fast to the hole, fast through the second level, and plenty fast enough to take it the distance as there are few defenders who can run him down over the course of a longer sprint. Feel free to disagree all you wish. It's OK with me.

GO BILLS!!!

i too forgot what the hell we were arguing about as well. Your last point there made perfect sense. I'm done.

I'm trying to think of the guys who are playing now who've jumped out at me as having great football speed and great top end on top of their quickness.

That interception he made against the Bills this season was ridiculous as were a few of his return touchdowns last year. It seem like on one of the returns from 2011 he was spun around but was still running backwards faster than others were running forwards.

His interception against the Bills was on a significantly overthrown ball and it was like watching Willie Mays chase one down in deep center. He swooped past the other players, caught it and then turned it back the other way.

couple that come to mind as candidates in addition to Peterson:

DeSean Jackson

Chris Johnson

Spiller's Clemson teammate Jacoby Ford, now a Raiders wideout, is probably the NFL's fastest man.

The fastest guy I ever saw on a football field was Darrell Green who was 4-0 in the NFL's Fastest Man Competition. Green ran a timed 10.08 100 meters and barely lost a race to all-time sprint champion Carl Lewis. Green was actually winning the race but the 5 inches he gave up to Lewis proved decisive as Lewis had more top end and beat him at the tape.

Green had football speed as well as track speed, unlike someone like, oh TJ Graham. It's a different ballgame when you're wearing football shoes and pants, shoulder pads and a helmet. Some guys aren't the same athlete once they put on the armor. That's why it was so amazing seeing Tony Gonzales at 36 years old and 6'5" 250, convincingly stuffing the ball over the crossbar after his touchdown on Sunday.

When wearing football gear, Chuck Muncie a power back in the mold of Steven Jackson, was the fastest of Air Coryell's Chargers, faster than fleet receivers Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, and Charlie Joiner.

Bo Jackson probably ran just as fast in football gear as he did in shorts on a track. He was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. Bo ran a hand-timed 4.12 at the combine. He gave up track and field after his sophomore year despite qualifying for the NCAA Championships in track. He wanted to concentrate on football and baseball. Had he concentrated on a career in track, who knows what he would have done.

I've heard it's Trindon Holliday of the Broncos

Spiller's Clemson teammate Jacoby Ford, now a Raiders wideout, is probably the NFL's fastest man.

I've heard it's Trindon Holliday of the Broncos

Interesting article:

http://www.armorytra...-kinds-of-speed

Here are the top 10 auto times in NFL history. Note that we aren't including Cliff Branch's 10.0 hand time from 1972.

• 10.01 — Jacoby Ford (WR, Oakland)

• 10.06 — Bob Hayes (WR, Dallas/San Francisco)

• 10.06 — Ron Brown (WR, L.A. Rams/Raiders)

• 10.07 — Alvis Whitted (WR, Jacksonville/Oakland)

• 10.08 — Darrell Green (CB, Washington Redskins)

• 10.09 — Sam Graddy (WR, Denver/L.A. Raiders)

• 10.10 — Willie Gault (WR, Chicago/L.A. Raiders)

• 10.11 — Mike Miller (WR, N.Y. Giants/New Orleans)

• 10.11 — Curtis Dickey (RB, Baltimore/Indianapolis/Cleveland)

• 10.14 — James Trapp (CB, Raiders/Baltimore/Jacksonville)

Again, my big things are 1) game speed and 2) top end.

Holliday is scorchingly fast and their 40 times at the combine were very comparable but my conjecture is that Peterson at 6'2" is gonna outgun the 5'5" Holliday on plays longer than 40 yards.

If you watch video of Peterson's combine 40, he's effortless through the distance, as if he's still got more top end.