The Perfect WR...what we need

I agree with your premise...that the QB and WR need to be on the same page; also, the QB needs to be able to put the ball somewhere in the neighborhood for the WR to make a play on the ball.

But I can't agree with the majority of posters who say that Fitz never threw the ball accurately...ever. He threw a fair amount of TD's this season...many by yards after catch which is the cornerstone of the Gailey offense (misdirection, screens, flood the throwing lanes, quick slants relying on safeties to mistackle or misread the receivers pattern). But with success comes failure...and in those instances where Fitz' throw was underneath or short, I can't think of a reception where the WR came down with a 50/50 ball. I've seen Chandler do it...but nothing like the 4 or 5 times I've seen Bolden win a possession battle for the ball in his last two games.

i agree that fitz isnt quite as atrocious as hes given credit for being but a lot of those boldin throws are better than 50-50 for boldin because he is expecting a back shoulder throw, and a lot less likely for our guys because generally its adjusting to an underthrown ball (much harder). our receivers could use an upgrade for sure but at the same time even on a lot of those deep heaves flacco was throwing it to the proper.... not sure what term to use.... area around him. when the receiver had inside technique the ball was always inside and was in a spot that the receiver could run away from the defender, likewise outside and outside of that heave to jones it was typically placed properly deep/short to adjust away from the coverage. thats the receiver knowing where the qb is going and the qb actually going to the spot the wr expects. thats not all "fight for the ball"

whether its lack of practice time together in the offseason, lack of accuracy by fitz, or our guys just not being as tough.... id guess all three to varying degrees... sure they are more physically gifted, but a lot of what boldin, flacco and the rest of that offense did to earn those catches came in june, not lastnight. lastnight was the payoff.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand we need an upgrade at QB, but nothing says you can't try and find a "fighter type" WR at the same time. My view of the current roster is this: I don't believe TJ Graham has the killer instinct to go up and get a ball when it is a 50/50 proposition...not sure Stevie J. is that type either (Stevie is a WR that likes to take the ball in stride and cross into the open field IMO), Nelson is a stud and tall but..... is he a receiver who is open even when he isn't? As for Jones, Smith, Ruvell and our Grade A reserves....well, that's why they didn't play all that much.

The point is...you can have an upgrade at QB AND at WR...just don't draft a smallish, 185 lb speedster or a journeyman who can get open sometimes...DRAFT or Acquire a taller, strong, possession WR who knows how to come down with the ball in a crowd. My feeling is that it can't be taught so much as it has to be demonstrated on film. If there is a WR that has those tendencies as demonstrated in college game film (or a FA WR)...you have to find him.

How can you draft the taller, strong, possession WR unless you know that you have a QB who can and will throw to him effectively? The thing about Flacco is he put the ball in positions that Boldin could get to. If you get a Trent Edwards plus a Julio Jones this year, you're going to have one wasted and frustrated WR. Plus, any WR of this ilk is going to be a high pick and the Bills cannot afford to take a WR up high. Too many other needs.

i agree that fitz isnt quite as atrocious as hes given credit for being but a lot of those boldin throws are better than 50-50 for boldin because he is expecting a back shoulder throw, and a lot less likely for our guys because generally its adjusting to an underthrown ball (much harder). our receivers could use an upgrade for sure but at the same time even on a lot of those deep heaves flacco was throwing it to the proper.... not sure what term to use.... area around him. when the receiver had inside technique the ball was always inside and was in a spot that the receiver could run away from the defender, likewise outside and outside of that heave to jones it was typically placed properly deep/short to adjust away from the coverage. thats the receiver knowing where the qb is going and the qb actually going to the spot the wr expects. thats not all "fight for the ball"

whether its lack of practice time together in the offseason, lack of accuracy by fitz, or our guys just not being as tough.... id guess all three to varying degrees... sure they are more physically gifted, but a lot of what boldin, flacco and the rest of that offense did to earn those catches came in june, not lastnight. lastnight was the payoff.

Agreed...good quote and analysis. Hard work pays off.

How can you draft the taller, strong, possession WR unless you know that you have a QB who can and will throw to him effectively? The thing about Flacco is he put the ball in positions that Boldin could get to. If you get a Trent Edwards plus a Julio Jones this year, you're going to have one wasted and frustrated WR. Plus, any WR of this ilk is going to be a high pick and the Bills cannot afford to take a WR up high. Too many other needs.

I hear ya...but if this draft class of QB's is as suspect as most seem to believe, do you draft a "B grade" Quarterback when there is an "A grade" WR available??? (The thought process being that you can get another "B grade" QB in the second, third or fourth round.

If he wins, I'd prefer to lose every game and get the #1 pick. I never think like that, but I can't deal with this fitz guy anymore. He's now the enemy. He does nothing but hurt our team. I don't want to see him win. I can't stand him. I may break my consecutive games watched streak at around 180 if he's the starter. Can't fathom the situation. I'm getting ill just thinking about it.

watch him throw the ball over 10 yards lately? There's no argument anyone can make about fitz not being the major problem. Who cares where these guys were drafted? Doesn't mean they aren't capable players. Chandler was a backup to gates and witten. Good argument though. Keep thinking fitz isn't the problem.

This is actually hilarious. You can't say our QB is god awful and sucks but the WR's are incredible. It's a team game, SJ wouldn't have touched 1000 yards without our QB throwing to him. You can't make a hypothetical about Flacco or anyone else throwing to him because it's speculation and pointless. I know our QB got SJ his yards and for every bad pass they were at least 2 decent ones. It's all about contribution.

On topic -

The Ravens recievers were on a different level the entire post season. Boldin, Smith, Jones, Pitta, they all played out of their minds. At least 3 of them are deep threats, which really opens up the field. Before I hear "we need a QB to be able to throw deep" our QB has thrown a 50 yard ball to TO because he was able to get open, and has thrown a couple more good streaks, which is something we never really tried this season.

I personally think we could never get anyone open deep. Unless Stevie shakes a guy right at the line in single coverage, he's not getting open on the streak, he's just not faster than corners that play against him. Jones has beat a few people on deep ins, he was agile but no speedster. Graham is young, can't really find his groove. That's the difference between our WR core and the Ravens.