NFL Coaching Decisions

The day before, The Bills selected Doug Marronne., I called into WGR to get in on the coaching discussion. The topic was; Would you pick Marronne over guys like Lovie Smith and Ken Whizenhunt? Now, I would not go the Marronne rout. I wanted Lovie, and who knows what will happen. Only time will tell if the decision to hire Marronne works out, but in my opinion. I said I would go with someone who has more NFL coaching experience. I said that I would even take a guy like Marc Tressman before I would take Marronne. And like typical GR fashion, they laughed it off and said that the guy is out of it and he shouldn't be in the coaching conversation. They even said that they would not consider the guy 4 years ago. I am sure most people could understand why I feel that Schoop is a total Dolt. I actually, feel the guy is unprofessional and such a condescending jackass. Hey Jackass, Chicago just hired him to be Lovies replacement. I really do hope that he succeeds. because it's more validation that you are a complete tool. I really wish we had better sports radio guys at GR. I like Howard Simon and Joe Buscaglia, but guys like Schoop and his stuttering side kick; Bulldog. We can do better can't we?

The decision to hire Marronne, may work out too, but The Bills took a huge risk in a guy that never called his own plays. Now the guy calling offensive plays has zero NFL play calling history. Yes, they both helped bring back Syracuce football. but I just think that if you give the guys the keys to the porsche, you don't give them to a guy who's never been in a big race before. Especially since he's going against guys like Bellicheat and Rex Ryan. That's all I am trying to say here. I hope it does work out. We in Buffalo are really pulling for a winner. It's just frustrating that guys like Schoop and Bullcrap, don't see the other side of the coin. I really do hope that Tressman succeeds in Chi-Town. Not, just to validate my point, but to show you that good decision makers can be on the outside looking in. The CFL is just that, but the guy has a ton of NFL coaching experience. Plus he won a couple of Grey Cups.

He's probably just picking a side in an attempt to make interesting radio. I'm surprised on Tressman. He's 20 years past being the hot new kid. I doubt there will be huge support on the Tressman hire here in Chicago, but who knows....

Who is to say Trestman will work out. The thing that strikes me most about it is the Chicago decision seemed to be made on which coach is better suited to getting Cutler to perform as he was expected to when they acquired him. Say what? Basing much of your decision for HC on a belief that the guy can make a single player function like he should. Whereas the Marrone hiring, Marrone was focusing on the totality of the team, downplaying his offensive prowess and being emphactic that he was the CEO and would not call plays but be involved in all 3 phases and during games be connected via headset and make game decisions and manage the game.

I'm not syaing Trestman will or will not work out and the same for Marrone. But, even though Trestman has succeeded as a HC in the CFL and has a an impressive resume in the NFL, we all can't overlook the fact that it took KC and the Bills only a few days to get their coach. And their were 5 other teams that had not selected a coach and then a 6th when the Jags canned Mularkey. If Chiacgo believed Trestman was their man, then why did it take so long? I'm guessing because he could have been plan B? If they were hedging in him or McCoy, well... San Diego pulled the string on McCoy and perhaps made Chicago's decsion for them. So, Was Trestman their A or B candidate?

As for the guys everyone thought would have HC jobs by now, why haven't they been hired? Lovie & Whiz, two SB coaches don't seem to be on anyone's radar. Why do you suppose that is? 4 teams are still looking for a new HC and can't seem to find anyone they believe is "the guy". Philly must have interviewed at least a dozen candidates. Paralysis by analysis? Everyone's flavor of the month candidates, ie., Arians, Bevell, Bradley, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden have interviewed with just about everyone but are still out there. There's gotta be a damn good reason.

Not sure why those teams did not decide on a coach. but If a team believes in the old adage; "We live and die by our coach", than maybe they are doing everything in their power to make that decision easier. Who knows? I completely agree with what Dr. Tooth said about It's crazy to hire a head coach just because he can help the QB. There are more people on the team. One guy like the QB should not matter in this, but than again. The Bills have never been that way, so how can we still say that our train of thought is correct. Trestman has like 17 years NFL coaching experience and Head coaching experience in the CFL. The guy is a good coach, but not until now has he gotten the chance to be a HC in the NFL. Not sure why, but he has the tools to help 52 guys on the Chicago team.

Who is to say Trestman will work out. The thing that strikes me most about it is the Chicago decision seemed to be made on which coach is better suited to getting Cutler to perform as he was expected to when they acquired him. Say what? Basing much of your decision for HC on a belief that the guy can make a single player function like he should. Whereas the Marrone hiring, Marrone was focusing on the totality of the team, downplaying his offensive prowess and being emphactic that he was the CEO and would not call plays but be involved in all 3 phases and during games be connected via headset and make game decisions and manage the game.

I'm not syaing Trestman will or will not work out and the same for Marrone. But, even though Trestman has succeeded as a HC in the CFL and has a an impressive resume in the NFL, we all can't overlook the fact that it took KC and the Bills only a few days to get their coach. And their were 5 other teams that had not selected a coach and then a 6th when the Jags canned Mularkey. If Chiacgo believed Trestman was their man, then why did it take so long? I'm guessing because he could have been plan B? If they were hedging in him or McCoy, well... San Diego pulled the string on McCoy and perhaps made Chicago's decsion for them. So, Was Trestman their A or B candidate?

As for the guys everyone thought would have HC jobs by now, why haven't they been hired? Lovie & Whiz, two SB coaches don't seem to be on anyone's radar. Why do you suppose that is? 4 teams are still looking for a new HC and can't seem to find anyone they believe is "the guy". Philly must have interviewed at least a dozen candidates. Paralysis by analysis? Everyone's flavor of the month candidates, ie., Arians, Bevell, Bradley, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden have interviewed with just about everyone but are still out there. There's gotta be a damn good reason.

I get what your talking about in your post, but our FO used words like exhaustive & thorough as to explain their search to replace Gailey. Well if 5 candidates & 1 week's time is exhaustive & thorough then by now i should have been a millionaire b/c i have been working so long !!

What it comes down to is doing your homework & just how high you set your sights. In any business you look for a guy with a proven track record, one that thinks out of the box & one that has had a history of top notch performance at what he has done in all of his previous positions.

Seeing as the Bills are in need of a franchise QB who better to bring in than a guy that has a proven track record with QB's ? Some one that other QB's veterans & rookies alike have looked to for help with their game. Seeing as the Bills are the only team in the NFL that has a series based in Canada who better to choose to make the series more successful & bring more canadian fans to the Ralph on game day than a coach that has been in 3 Grey Cup Championships & won 2 ??

Not to mention all the other pluses. Trestman was a coach at Miami when J Kelly was there, Is great friends with Marv Levy, has a better winning record than Levy prior to coming to the Bills, & has worked with & has respect of coaches all over the NFL !! Not to mention he has a broader range of good coaches to choose from coaching in both leagues.

I'm not saying that Marrone will fail b/c i am a Bills fan & have been for A LONG TIME reference: Miami's got the oranges but we got the juice !! All's i am saying is exhaustive & thorough do not apply to our search when this caliber of coach is out there along with Reid & we never even attempt to talk to either one. Which raises a lot of questions !!!

The only thing we can do now is sit back & see how it plays out & i will be rooting for the boys in Bills blue as i do every year !!

GO BILLS !!!!

Edited by T master

The day before, The Bills selected Doug Marronne., I called into WGR to get in on the coaching discussion. The topic was; Would you pick Marronne over guys like Lovie Smith and Ken Whizenhunt? Now, I would not go the Marronne rout. I wanted Lovie, and who knows what will happen. Only time will tell if the decision to hire Marronne works out, but in my opinion. I said I would go with someone who has more NFL coaching experience. I said that I would even take a guy like Marc Tressman before I would take Marronne. And like typical GR fashion, they laughed it off and said that the guy is out of it and he shouldn't be in the coaching conversation. They even said that they would not consider the guy 4 years ago. I am sure most people could understand why I feel that Schoop is a total Dolt. I actually, feel the guy is unprofessional and such a condescending jackass. Hey Jackass, Chicago just hired him to be Lovies replacement. I really do hope that he succeeds. because it's more validation that you are a complete tool. I really wish we had better sports radio guys at GR. I like Howard Simon and Joe Buscaglia, but guys like Schoop and his stuttering side kick; Bulldog. We can do better can't we?

The decision to hire Marronne, may work out too, but The Bills took a huge risk in a guy that never called his own plays. Now the guy calling offensive plays has zero NFL play calling history. Yes, they both helped bring back Syracuce football. but I just think that if you give the guys the keys to the porsche, you don't give them to a guy who's never been in a big race before. Especially since he's going against guys like Bellicheat and Rex Ryan. That's all I am trying to say here. I hope it does work out. We in Buffalo are really pulling for a winner. It's just frustrating that guys like Schoop and Bullcrap, don't see the other side of the coin. I really do hope that Tressman succeeds in Chi-Town. Not, just to validate my point, but to show you that good decision makers can be on the outside looking in. The CFL is just that, but the guy has a ton of NFL coaching experience. Plus he won a couple of Grey Cups.

I watched the Tressman press conference. Not impressed. From what I saw of the two, Marrone has a much better idea of what he wants to do with the team.

Trestman was almost certainly not the Bears' 1st choice, and probably not their 2nd or 3rd. Doesn't mean he won't succeed, but let's call it what it is.

Interesting that neither of the "highly touted" retreads (Whis, Lovie) found a HC job elsewhere.

Of relevance to me, though, is that the Bills appear to have gotten THEIR 1st choice -- 2nd at worst, if you believe they wanted Kelly (which I don't).

Edited by eball