Chuck Knox’s 35th Anniversary

Jim Gehman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - TSW Bills historians are being extra kind to Coach Knox.

My opinion is he was the 3rd best coach we ever had. One full notch after Saban and Levy. Yes - He took a bunch of crap talent and made an exciting and winning team. Yes, I buy in that he could not overcome Ralph's cheapness and the inept GM work of Stew Barber.

The rest of the reality is while Knox was a very good coach he never won a championship (beyond a division title) and his playoff record was not stellar. The Rams went to the Super Bowl after he left. I remember Bils fans complaining about his conservative playcalling (ground Chuck). His teams tended to play flat and lose big games. The Rams had the talent to beat Minnesota and get to the Super Bowl, which they did, after Knox.

He was able to rebuild Buffalo and Seattle and is an excellent coach -- ok to that. Not better better than Levy or Saban. No way.

cheers, Bob

For whatever reason the Cowboys just seemed to have the Buffalo Bills number, but then so did almost the entire NFC East as the NY Giants and Washington Redskins also beat Buffalo in the super bowl.

The Bills defense was ranked 28th against the run that year...Emmitt Smith had 30 attempts for 132 yards and 2 TD's.

Yea, Thurman fumbled. stuff happens. I wouldn't say the man quit on his team tho. Bitter much? The Bills only rushed Thurman 16 attempts for 37 yards. and he did catch 7 passes for 52 yards.

OTOH, Jim Kelly threw 31 of 50 attempts for 262 yards 0 TD's and 1 INT. Jim Kelly did still call his own plays and Ted Marchibroda was the HC in Baltimore the past 2 years

what are you talking about?

You must not have seen the game.