OT- Leaving for Paris

theesir

Anyone who's been there, any recommendations of restaurants or sites to see beyond the standard fare.

I'll be gone for a week and will miss you all!

14456[/snapback]

Get the Michelin guide book. Ask the concierge where to get an English language one once you check in. I think they are for sale at Orly - at least they were a few decades ago! :lol:

http://home.comcast.net/~vagabondtraveler/books/france.html

I have actually found the sevice in Paris to be on par with any city in the U.S. Some people are nice, some are jerks. Most Americans lump the French in one big category, and they most likely do the same to us. Keep an open mind and don't hesitate to talk to people...although I recommend avoiding political discussions in foreign countries :lol:

Don't know is theesir has left already, but I would recommend a day trip to Normandy (sobering, but the place breathes history) and Mont St. Michel (abby built on a rock island...sometimes :( ).

Also, if you head to the Louve, use the underground entrance through the mall. In my experience the line aren't as bad.

Visit Versailles. The gaudiness and richness is dizzying. It gives you a sense of how rich and powerful monarchs were.

Paris is a great city. It is both beautiful and historic. You could spend hours just walking around. It also has wonderful parks. The best view of the city is from Sacre Coeur. A lot of people go there to watch the sunset. It overlooks Paris.

Notwithstanding what some others have said, Parisiens are actually pretty friendly for people from a big city. They are much more friendly than New Yorkers for instance.

As far as food is concerned, you will find excellent food anywhere - from a simple boulangerie to the most expensive restaurant in Paris.

I thoroughly recommend the Chaussee aux Pommes (spelling?) (similar to an apple strudle. Of course, something as simple as a baguette with camembert cheese is wonderful. You will not go wrong with the food believe me.

The museums are top notch. Of course, there is the Louvre. Also, there are many wonderful smaller museums. My favorite is the Musee D'Orsay, which is on the left bank of the Seine.

Have a great trip.

Paris is a great city.  It is both beautiful and historic.  You could spend hours just walking around.  It also has wonderful parks.  The best view of the city is from Sacre Coeur.  A lot of people go there to watch the sunset.  It overlooks Paris.

Notwithstanding what some others have said, Parisiens are actually pretty friendly for people from a big city.  They are much more friendly than New Yorkers for instance.

As far as food is concerned, you will find excellent food anywhere - from a simple boulangerie to the most expensive restaurant in Paris.

I thoroughly recommend the Chaussee aux Pommes (spelling?) (similar to an apple strudle.  Of course, something as simple as a baguette with camembert cheese is wonderful.  You will not go wrong with the food believe me.

The museums are top notch.  Of course, there is the Louvre.  Also, there are many wonderful smaller museums.  My favorite is the Musee D'Orsay, which is on the left bank of the Seine. 

Have a great trip.

14957[/snapback]

It's "chausson aux pommes" Peter!

I'm amazed that some of you actually found parisians friendly , you must spend too much time with NYers! Parisians are the most arrogant group of people in Europe you don't know how happy i am to have left them . Too bad those are the only frenchmen most tourists visiting our country ever met...

So as i always say to americans visiting Paris: Enjoy the town of course but if you want to know what France really is please take a train or something and visit some other places in the country! With TGV trains everywhere is reachable in a few hours, go on the Riviera, visit Old Lyon, the Loire castles, Normandy, Britany, the Alps, the wineyards, whatever looks good to you but if you want to know us please look outside the City! (and your wallet will appreciate the normal prices of provincial France!)