Jerry Sullivan was way off.

The Bills were one of only two teams with just three 20-catch receivers. Twenty-two teams had at least five. Bledsoe had no dependable third option at wideout. Tight end Mark Campbell was just becoming a viable part of the offense when he was lost for the season. Then tight end Tim Euhus went down. Eric Moulds, like many a star wideout, wants nothing to do with the lead pass thrown over the middle.

Bledsoe's receiving options were, to some degree, minimized by a simplified offense designed to protect him from the sack. But let's be honest. When Josh Reed is your third receiver, how many times are you going that way anyway? Releasing Bobby Shaw might have made a necessary point, but it also gave Bledsoe one fewer experienced receiver.

To say that Bledsoe can't win a Super Bowl is a safe play against the odds. Many great ones haven't. In fact, of the league's current starting quarterbacks, only Tom Brady and Brett Favre have.

Someone said Jerry The Fairy was right on yesterday. Well Bob is the one who knows football. BTW I hope Moulds is ashamed!

Someone said Jerry The Fairy was right on yesterday.  Well Bob is the one who knows football.  BTW I hope Moulds is ashamed!

194590[/snapback]

Hey, I've never seen Moulds pull a Pinkston.

Of course no WR (star or not) LIKES a lead pass over the middle... but if they go and get it, who cares?

Someone said Jerry The Fairy was right on yesterday.  Well Bob is the one who knows football.  BTW I hope Moulds is ashamed!

194590[/snapback]

Neither of those guys impress me much as writers. I think Allen Wilson and Mark Gaughan are much better, IMO. Wish they would do more columns. Those guys know football.

Hey, I've never seen Moulds pull a Pinkston.

Of course no WR (star or not) LIKES a lead pass over the middle... but if they go and get it, who cares?

194599[/snapback]

yeah right. then again when most of his passes over the middle are ahead of the recievewr and high who the hell wants to catch the ball anyway?

The point is 7 out of 10 people walking on this planet are too ____ to get the point.

194611[/snapback]

wrong more like 3 out of ten don't get the point that having an above average qb on our team this year would've gotten us in the playoffs. where have you been the past 3 months i missed your posts john?

I always thought moulds dropped passes on the move in traffic, not because he was AFRAID of getting hit, but rather because he was already thinking about what he was gonna do once the ball is in his hands. A lot of recievers do it, most outgrow it, Moulds has never quite done that. Watch closely, one time hell catch that ball, break a tackle, juke someone and go 20 more yards. The next time moulds will already be thinkin about it and BAM: dropped ball.

194590[/snapback]

Sorry I don't buy the Moulds comment for a second. He has NEVER shown a propensity to shy away from contact in his entire career nor has he short armed any balls that I have seen thrown. What I do see is his stubborn desire to take every catch (or potential catch) he makes and turn it into a RAC long gainer , thus at times losing immediate concentration on the task of catching the ball first. This is good in some senses but you got to know when to fold 'em sometimes too. I'm not trying to dispute your opinion that this guy knows football but that comment is unfounded, period.

.... Oh and only a marginal fan would not know this :blink:

I always thought moulds dropped passes on the move in traffic, not because he was AFRAID of getting hit, but rather because he was already thinking about what he was gonna do once the ball is in his hands.  A lot of recievers do it, most outgrow it, Moulds has never quite done that.  Watch closely, one time hell catch that ball, break a tackle, juke someone and go 20 more yards.  The next time moulds will already be thinkin about it and BAM: dropped ball.

194752[/snapback]

Looks like you beat me to the punch :blink:

Buffalo Bills season field goal percentage leaders:

88.5 (23 of 26) Rian Lindell 2004

86.5 (32 of 37) Scott Norwood 1988

85.7 (24 of 28) Steve Christie 1994

82.8 (24 of 29) Christie 1996

80.5 (33 of 41) Christie 1998

80.0 (24 of 30) Norwood 1992, Christie 1997

These stats interested me. I was thinking that Christie was the best; now I'm thinking that Lindell at 40 yards and in has him beat.

Fair, but you do have to admit many passes are at his feet or behind him..

I've never actually seen him lay up, seeimingly afraid to get hit.

194613[/snapback]

I haven't either.......in fact, I would bet good money on the fact that Moulds can still lay out just about anyone in the secondary he's facing. When Moulds is on his game, he's a tough bastard.

I don't buy that whole idea of Lindell being one of the best kickers in Bills' history, because the kicks he's been asked to attempt have been higher percentage kicks inside 40 yards. Whether that's based on not trusting him, or juts on the situations the Bills happened to be in at the time, I don't know. The key is to break things down into smaller sections: field goals of 40 yards or more, field goals of 30 - 40 yards, and field goals of less than 30 yards. Compare Lindell to the other kickers in those categories, and see where that leaves him. Maybe he'd actually look good, but you don't know until you do the comparison. I'm impressed by his kicking of extra points.