Defending the QB read-option

D521646

Ok, so I've watched countless tape now on the "modern" day read option, and I have some observations on how to defend it.

I don't have diagrams so I'll do my best to describe it.

Qb read option is really simple. QB RB line up usually (almost 90% of the time) RB lines up weak side with a single DE. Ball is hiked, QB holds the ball looking at the DE, andif the DE moves to cut off the RB sweeping the line, the QB keeps the ball, and runs past the DE and usually into an open field for 10 or more yards.

Teams have been trying to defend it by having the DE stand still using their hands to stay off the block from the tackle, but in a lot of the caes where successful the tackle runs the DE out of an effective position to tackle the QB, and the play usually goes for a big gain, especially with the likes of Wilson, CK, Newton etc..

What I am not seeing is the following site adjustment ebing made by teams, and I'm not sure why.

In the above scenario, the QB rarely uses the read option to play action pass, so as DC you can mainly assume that the run is coming from either the QB or the RB. If the RB, losing your DE because he's staying home isn't a bad trade off as long as everyone else is making the same sight adjustments. If the Qb hands the ball off, the play is a run, and the LB's role is to fill those holes, however, may I suggest two reads depending on the way the offense lines up.

1. If the offense lines up with a slot reciever to the weak side, the slot DB rushes the QB and that's his only job. He essentially becomes a blitzing DB. The DE plays the run (As he would normally) and the weak side FS covers the slot receiver to the weak side.

2. If the offense lines up with a single WR to the weak side, the Defense needs man cover, and the FS joins the SS on the strong side. The SS acts as a LB filling gaps and attacking the offensive lines. The FS covers the immediate zone in pass coverage. The DE on the weak side still plays the run, and the OLB makes the sight adjustment and rushes the QB from the weak side.

In my experience the read option is run to the weak side better than 80% of the time, so the above would be the way to defend it, however, it can sometimes be run to the strong side, in which case the only adjustment needed is for the FS to make the sight adjustment give himself up and rush the QB, making it man, or zone on the strong side in the event of a pass.

Now, I'm no genius but you'd think that Wanny knows this, and that our guys "get the concept" of defending this play, so I ask, why are they not doing it? Why do they leave the DE on the island to have to make that choice in the heat of battle? Any sound DC needs to plan in the event that the DE will get fooled or out of position more often than not, and using the LB to attack the QB in a single WR look, or a DB to attack the QB in a double WR look against a team that effectively has 11 attackers on offense, is just sound defensive scheming.

Thoughts?

Tim-

You're assumption is wrong about not playing the ass. This isn't little league. These guys will successfully run TE's and routes behind the LBers if they come up. If you crash the LBers and S down you will be giving up long roll out passes in effect all day long.

Like the mildcat, this too shall pass. How do you defend the qb read option? It's really simple... "drill" the qb. You bring the wood and lay the qb out, even if it costs a flag or two. When teams invest $$$ in A qb like Cam & RG3 they'll lose that edge real quick when post acl or shoulder injury they are no longer effective.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

You're assumption is wrong about not playing the ass. This isn't little league. These guys will successfully run TE's and routes behind the LBers if they come up. If you crash the LBers and S down you will be giving up long roll out passes in effect all day long.

Wrong. You're only ever committing one LB or a DB in whcih case the SS of FS makes the sight adjustment and assume cover responsiblities to the free TE. "little league"? Was that necessary?

Tim-

Wrong. You're only ever committing one LB or a DB in whcih case the SS of FS makes the sight adjustment and assume cover responsiblities to the free TE. "little league"? Was that necessary?

Tim-

Again if you commit one and the DE, then that's two guys out of position. The problem with the read option is the players have to stay in position and actually make tackles. That is something our LBers have not done, which is why teams continue to just run on us.

If our Lbers start making tackles then the TE will be behind him and the QB will pull up and pass it to him.

And yes, in little league your QB can't/won't because he isn't capable of reading three things. In the NFL they can.

VA and Dr are both right...You can pass out of the read option all day long if the defense doesn't defend the pass. That is not true of the Wildcat which is run only 99% of the time. You stop the read option by doing what Atlanta did to RG III. If the QB will not go out of bounds or slide then he needs to be treated like any other runner. How long do you think a 5-11 QB can take the pounding? Newton was half the QB he was his rookie year. I expect the same from Wilson. Now Luck and RGIII are different. Luck is a superstar already and RGIII may be smarter than any QB in the league. He has only 5 INT as a rookie. That is crazy good.

I put a spy on Wilson. But not some big slow guy like the 49ers did, but someone like George Wilson or Byrd. Someone that can run him down AND tackle him.

So instead of big slow guys, you'll use small slow guys. Just kidding.

When we played them, Scott WAS supposed to do exactly that but he got abused on a couple of occasions because he missed his read. MW crashed down the line and it was Scott's job to meet Wilson at the hole. But he was late and the rest is history.

GO BILLS!!!

It might be a difficult play to stop, especially when run by agile QBs who can run like heck.

However, as noted earlier...it's the QB who calls the play in the huddle. After he's been nailed a few times, he'll stop calling it..even if it is getting them yards. I don't advocate getting penalties...but, as they said before the Green Bay VS Chicago game 'these teams play hard right 'till the second whistle'.

Ok, so I've watched countless tape now on the "modern" day read option, and I have some observations on how to defend it.

I don't have diagrams so I'll do my best to describe it.

Qb read option is really simple. QB RB line up usually (almost 90% of the time) RB lines up weak side with a single DE. Ball is hiked, QB holds the ball looking at the DE, andif the DE moves to cut off the RB sweeping the line, the QB keeps the ball, and runs past the DE and usually into an open field for 10 or more yards.

Teams have been trying to defend it by having the DE stand still using their hands to stay off the block from the tackle, but in a lot of the caes where successful the tackle runs the DE out of an effective position to tackle the QB, and the play usually goes for a big gain, especially with the likes of Wilson, CK, Newton etc..

What I am not seeing is the following site adjustment ebing made by teams, and I'm not sure why.

In the above scenario, the QB rarely uses the read option to play action pass, so as DC you can mainly assume that the run is coming from either the QB or the RB. If the RB, losing your DE because he's staying home isn't a bad trade off as long as everyone else is making the same sight adjustments. If the Qb hands the ball off, the play is a run, and the LB's role is to fill those holes, however, may I suggest two reads depending on the way the offense lines up.

1. If the offense lines up with a slot reciever to the weak side, the slot DB rushes the QB and that's his only job. He essentially becomes a blitzing DB. The DE plays the run (As he would normally) and the weak side FS covers the slot receiver to the weak side.

2. If the offense lines up with a single WR to the weak side, the Defense needs man cover, and the FS joins the SS on the strong side. The SS acts as a LB filling gaps and attacking the offensive lines. The FS covers the immediate zone in pass coverage. The DE on the weak side still plays the run, and the OLB makes the sight adjustment and rushes the QB from the weak side.

In my experience the read option is run to the weak side better than 80% of the time, so the above would be the way to defend it, however, it can sometimes be run to the strong side, in which case the only adjustment needed is for the FS to make the sight adjustment give himself up and rush the QB, making it man, or zone on the strong side in the event of a pass.

Now, I'm no genius but you'd think that Wanny knows this, and that our guys "get the concept" of defending this play, so I ask, why are they not doing it? Why do they leave the DE on the island to have to make that choice in the heat of battle? Any sound DC needs to plan in the event that the DE will get fooled or out of position more often than not, and using the LB to attack the QB in a single WR look, or a DB to attack the QB in a double WR look against a team that effectively has 11 attackers on offense, is just sound defensive scheming.

Thoughts?

Tim-

Really glad you posted this, I was considering starting a similar thread myself after reading what Mario and George Wilson had to say here

It seemed to me that Mario and George were subtly implying that some of their teammates were not sticking to their proper assignments during these plays even though they practiced for this offense all week long.

I had been wondering exactly what it is that these guys were referring to so I checked it out and came up with this. Seems the DE is basically screwed according to this author, there is no "correct" response, the DE is forced to guess, and if he guesses wrong he will be out of position or tackling an empty handed player. (But at least inflicting pain, so in this respect Billsfreak17 may be on to something). Please let me know if this accurately describes what your referring to here.

Great links, educational, and very appreciated.

Think of it this way; it's not like the offense gets an extra player when they run this. If there are 2 players that are potential targets, there should be 2 players there to stop them. If the DE does commit to the first guy (blocker, or in this case, QB who may run with the ball), then there should be a 2nd player there to get the second guy (the RB who takes the hand off). Time to put the fear of God into any QB who dares run this play consistently against the Bills.