A Plan to Turn the Bills Around

In trying to figure out how the Bills could possibly improve, I have thought of the following strategy. In a sense, on a short term basis, it could be considered a marketing disaster. Yet, over the mid and long term, it could prove to be successful.

So, given the fact that…

• drafting is not a science and invariably luck is involved;
  • we are not 1 or 2 players away (except if we land a franchise QB) from competing for a playoff spot – let alone a championship;
  • one can only hope/dream to get 2-3 playmakers out a typical 7-pick draft, especially with the past GM we have had;
  • it doesn’t seem like there’s another A. Luck in next year’s draft;

Why not…

• trade all of our draft picks for multiple picks in next year’s draft and do the same the year after.

Seven draft picks could then turn easily in 20+ draft picks (could be more, correct me if I’m wrong) 2 drafts from now. Now THAT would be a true rebuilding program! Not some half-ass “re-tooling” the lineup, changing 2 or 3 players here and there plan.

What we would gain...

• current scouts would have more time to evaluate current freshmen and sophomores (extra edge come draft day, mind you in 2-3 years);
  • most free agents do not want to come to Buffalo anyway, we wouldn’t lose much in becoming a free agent no man’s land for 2-3 years (which we practically are);
  • we could steal other team's “gem” (read decently productive no names who take 2-3 years to develop hidden on practice squads) without cutting important players (we wouldn't have much of those at first anyway, kind of like right now actually);
  • we would have a lot of of cap space as most players 26 and over would be let go (they would hit their prime before the big draft) or traded (even more draft picks!)
  • the nucleus of the team would be made of players around the same age, which could help the team’s chemistry (if there’s such a thing) and identity (an overlooked aspect of a successful franchise, I find).
  • I would think that many GM and coaches would salivate at the idea of truly being able to mold a team and not wait many years before their team fits their success criteria. Hence it would give us an edge in attracting a great GM/coach.

Bottom line...

We have been one of the worst franchises for the past 15 years. For most of those, rose-coloured glass removed, it was realistically over in November. What’s with waiting a few more years...

P.-S. Only problem I see is the cap room for an oversized draft class. Capologists could shed light on that matter...

Thanks,

Marc in Montréal

Edited by Marc in MontrÈal

Here's my plan:

1. Hire Bill Polian as GM of the Bills

2. Tell Bill to fix this.

3. Get out of the way.

Bill has the cred to be able to bring a real coach to Buffalo. Something we've been sorely lacking since Wade Phillips left. He will no doubt get us a QB just as he did in Carolina and Indy.

I was at the ceremony when he got put into the ring. Sounded like he really likes Buffalo as does his family he said. This would be our fastest way to the playoffs.

Better than trading away all our draft picks.

I think your number is high actually. You could probably get a 1st, 2nd and maybe 4th for this seasons first round and for a second round pick, you get a 2nd and third. Beyond the second round maybe the third, the value of the picks starts dropping to the point of no real extra value. Rookies learn from the guy playing next to him. When they are all rookies it will take much longer. The team would also likely be so bad not sure they'd even be watchable to the point, RW dies, the team could leave.

Here's my plan:

3. Get out of the way.

Bill has the cred to be able to bring a real coach to Buffalo. Something we've been sorely lacking since Wade Phillips left. He will no doubt get us a QB just as he did in Carolina and Indy.

I was at the ceremony when he got put into the ring. Sounded like he really likes Buffalo as does his family he said. This would be our fastest way to the playoffs.

ESPN is reporting that Kansas City Chiefs will be making Bill Polian their next GM. May be we can hire Scott Pioli and get him to rebuild here.

Here's my plan:

3. Get out of the way.

H

I was thinking the same thing. He built the Bills, Panthers and Colts into Superbowl teams. He knows what he is doing. Give him complete control.

ESPN is reporting that Kansas City Chiefs will be making Bill Polian their next GM. May be we can hire Scott Pioli and get him to rebuild here.

He has not signed yet, get him and dump Buddy and Chan.