Chan take a clue from Leslie Fraser

Webster Guy

My point is that the Bills do run the ball more than pass though the attempts are split between CJ, Fred and whoever.

PTR

No they do not. 453 Pass attempts. 367 Rushing attempts. And consider as well that some of the rushing attempts are scrambles by Fitz when they were trying to pass.

And if the point you are trying to make is that Chan Gailey likes to run the ball more than most NFL coaches then you haven't been watching the games. The Bills clearly have a pass to set up the run type offense.

Edited by vincec

4 20 17 26 18 9 14 5 22 18 19 9 20 15

Those numbers are the game by game rushing attempts of Spiller's senior season at Clemson. He only had 2 games at Clemson in which he had more than 20 carries, James Davis was the workhorse back his first 3 years at Clemson and Jamie Harper [Titans] shared the load his senior season.

Excellent research. Thank you. Even Spiller's college coaches knew enough not to overburden him.

While Spiller has been both under-tutilized and mis-utilized this season, there's no question in my mind that you'd see diminishing returns with a bigger workload. Twenty touches seems to be the upper limit IMO.

are you saying we are limited in Spillers ability to carry the load in the run game ?

If Fred is truly on the decline, and he might well be, we need another RB next year don't we. A pounder.

And to repeat a much stated opinion, I wish the Bills would have signed a free agent RB this past offseason.

Mike Tolbert, Cedric Benson, and Michael Bush were all available. The best time to make player moves is when there's not a crying need at that position. Too late now.

I think we can all agree, strict statistics don't tell the story accurately. There were a bunch of times this season when Spiller would be averaging like 8 yards a carry in a game, albeit only having been given a handful or more runs, and the Bills would find themselves in a 3rd and 3, or even 3rd and 2, in the opponents territory, and Chan would call a pass play, often out of a no back spread formation. That is the frustrating part! Chan's actions are saying this: I don't believe we can get a few yards on a run IF the opponent expects a run. That is what is so frustrating.

Spiller doesn't have to carry the ball 20 plus times a game. But, the Bills do have a good O-line. And, the Bills do have perhaps the best 1-2 RB tandem in the NFL. Combine that with having one of the least physically talented QB's in the game, and what do you get? A pass happy, spread offense! Bam! That is what is so frustrating, and that is what the OP meant. We should have been running more, forcing our will on opponents, and using Fitz to control games, not carry them.

As has been the case before - now that Fred is hurt it just so happens that the O-line is banged up, too. If Spiller gets 20 or more carries in these next few games and doesn't light it up, it doesn't mean it's because he is incapable; I want to see him get the touches when the offense is healthy and playing well.

As for the future - I've always believed Spiller was chosen not so much to have an immediate impact, but to be a force for the team once they had all the pieces in place. I do fear it might have taken one season too long for that plan to have been perfect, but IF we get a stud QB in next year's draft, and IF our O-line stays together - and IF we manage to get another good WR to compliment Stevie, THEN I could see Spiller being a real national superstar, and as critical to this team as Marshall Faulk was to the Rams, or Thurman was to our Bills. Nix just has to get moving on putting the pieces together, while we still have Spiller under contract.

I think we can all agree, strict statistics don't tell the story accurately. There were a bunch of times this season when Spiller would be averaging like 8 yards a carry in a game, albeit only having been given a handful or more runs, and the Bills would find themselves in a 3rd and 3, or even 3rd and 2, in the opponents territory, and Chan would call a pass play, often out of a no back spread formation. That is the frustrating part! Chan's actions are saying this: I don't believe we can get a few yards on a run IF the opponent expects a run. That is what is so frustrating.

Spiller doesn't have to carry the ball 20 plus times a game. But, the Bills do have a good O-line. And, the Bills do have perhaps the best 1-2 RB tandem in the NFL. Combine that with having one of the least physically talented QB's in the game, and what do you get? A pass happy, spread offense! Bam! That is what is so frustrating, and that is what the OP meant. We should have been running more, forcing our will on opponents, and using Fitz to control games, not carry them.

As has been the case before - now that Fred is hurt it just so happens that the O-line is banged up, too. If Spiller gets 20 or more carries in these next few games and doesn't light it up, it doesn't mean it's because he is incapable; I want to see him get the touches when the offense is healthy and playing well.

As for the future - I've always believed Spiller was chosen not so much to have an immediate impact, but to be a force for the team once they had all the pieces in place. I do fear it might have taken one season too long for that plan to have been perfect, but IF we get a stud QB in next year's draft, and IF our O-line stays together - and IF we manage to get another good WR to compliment Stevie, THEN I could see Spiller being a real national superstar, and as critical to this team as Marshall Faulk was to the Rams, or Thurman was to our Bills. Nix just has to get moving on putting the pieces together, while we still have Spiller under contract.

I would like to see Spiller get 20 plus carries each game till the end of the season. He can rest then.

I think Chan need to just say , the heck with the chess matches. Lets just try to pound the ball. again and again.

No one in the nfl would expect it. Heck , have we ever even tried to tire out a defense with our offense ?

It would be nice to see what our players have in the nitty gritty turf(?) in your facemask type of game.

Dont care if we get Choice in there.

Just run run run until one breaks.

The season is over so lets see what we have here Joe D !

Excellent research. Thank you. Even Spiller's college coaches knew enough not to overburden him.

While Spiller has been both under-tutilized and mis-utilized this season, there's no question in my mind that you'd see diminishing returns with a bigger workload. Twenty touches seems to be the upper limit IMO.

And to repeat a much stated opinion, I wish the Bills would have signed a free agent RB this past offseason.

Mike Tolbert, Cedric Benson, and Michael Bush were all available. The best time to make player moves is when there's not a crying need at that position. Too late now.

I may not agree on that bolded part. but Those are some players that might've been a good fit. Difficult statement if we brought someone like that in when Fred and CJ are healthy.

Always upgrade the position he says so no problem bringing a bull in next year through FA or trade and draft one.

Of course.

You know and i know SJBF that the crying need is not the RB position, but you are warm and getting warmer! :doh:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The Bills are 29th overall in power football. Maybe, Chan knows something.